Lucky for you to have those 81mm tractor tires; I can oy dream of them :sad:

Your axle modification looks interesting IMHO for one my upcoming project.

22 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Really? They're available on Bricks and Pieces.

I know buddy, but brick and pieces are not covering Croatia (as service). I really appreciate your help but I'm stuck a bit for now. Even set is not available here (yet) to see if I can make some deal with few fellows who have bricklink store :sad:

Kind regards :classic:

A very simple mod for lock, more or less, the hood. Only two round tiles are neccessary.

51387469632_5069d50440_c.jpg

51388477988_608af95731_c.jpg

Because we are talking about tipping points. Heavy tires are an advantage in this Point.

51388419158_5d285b8757_c.jpg

Edit: a mod to fix the steering lock

https://bricksafe.com/files/efferman/vehicle-axles/42129_Frontaxle_steering_lock_fix.io

51389426189_948299b15d_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Hello, I am new to this forum. I've been reading it alot for reviews and oppinions. I'm thinking of buiying this set and putting the suspension of the 42099 under it. With sariel's narrow independent suspension with diff locks at the back. Basicly 42099 with diff locks. I wonder if it Will improve the ability's of the 42099.

18 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Really? They're available on Bricks and Pieces.

They ship to very restricted area.

Is there someone who can share or pm me a stud.io file if the original model?

Edited by Didumos69

12 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Is there someone who can share or pm me a stud.io file if the original model?

I only have one for the PF mod, does that work?

14 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I only have one for the PF mod, does that work?

Yes, sure, that would certainly something I can work with.

The pdf and io files for the 42129 No motor 2 axles and 3 axles versions are uploaded on Bricklink.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-85740/nguyengiangoc/42129-no-motor-2-axles/#details

1000x800.jpg?1629804925.1810114

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-85743/nguyengiangoc/42129-no-motor-3-axles/#details

1000x800.jpg?1629808047.1337395

You can download the thing and mod it to your heart's content. I'd love to see someone put a mobile home on the 3 axles version. :laugh:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Almost finished the build, so I tried some different wheels, so much fun :D

https://bricksafe.com/pages/snipe/42129-mods

Here are a few weird ones (more to come when my huge lego parts haul arrives, like the harley davidson rear tires

640x288.jpg
640x288.jpg
640x288.jpg
640x288.jpg

Regards Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

7 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Here are a few weird ones (more to come when my huge lego parts haul arrives, like the harley davidson rear tires

Blood from the eyes :)

On 8/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The pdf and io files for the 42129 No motor 2 axles and 3 axles versions are uploaded on Bricklink.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-85740/nguyengiangoc/42129-no-motor-2-axles/#details

Now it with PU motors, new diffs, hub and planetary hubs. It took some time to build these hubs for Studio but they work like a charm now)
Just a lot of missed parts are now ready for your experiments: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/studio-models/42129 - 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Trial Truck.io

• Last steps are missed
  • Tires are missed (in progress still)
  • Stickers are missed (not sure if they should be added)
  • New longer CV joints are missed (in progress still)

9 hours ago, Void_S said:

Now it with PU motors, new diffs, hub and planetary hubs

I already built the original model in a separate io file. If you had asked me you wouldn't need to spend time on doing so again.

The no motor files are stripped down versions of the original model's file.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Well, thank you, but anyways I wanted to build it by myself too (in digital so far) so will end up with building my copy of it in both cases :blush:
BTW I really enjoy this process as it allows me to understand not only the model itsef better but designer's ideas too - this set really screams "hey Mr. Grohl has made me!".

I has never blamed this set (cannot say the same about the new CAT however) - it have disadvantages of poor steering lock and some qestionable off-road geometry things, but being the offical set, it really amazing one!

6 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Well, thank you, but anyways I wanted to build it by myself too (in digital so far) so will end up with building my copy of it in both cases

But you only rebuilt the axles and the motor component, right? I downloaded the file and noticed that the hood and cabin modules are the same.

53 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

But you only rebuilt the axles and the motor component, right? I downloaded the file and noticed that the hood and cabin modules are the same.

Yes, so far. I'm rebuilding it to the original set today)

On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, efferman said:

a mod to fix the steering lock

@efferman If I understand correctly, this increases the movement range of the steering rack by half a stud. According to my own tests, this is already too much for the CV joints, at that angle there is already considerable amount of friction on them (the wider part of the neck of the male part pushing against the edge of the female part, there's a 'hump' on every turn); sure they will turn with force, since the motor is strong enough to drive it, but I believe that they would get a lot of wear over time, especially at higher speeds. To check this, you should try to disconnect it from the drive motor so that you can spin it freely, and spin the hub from the wheel side to feel the friction. What I found is that roughly 1/4 stud more space for the movement of the steering rack is still ok, but 1/2 is just too much unfortunately. Let me know what you think.

9 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

@efferman If I understand correctly, this increases the movement range of the steering rack by half a stud. According to my own tests, this is already too much for the CV joints, at that angle there is already considerable amount of friction on them (the wider part of the neck of the male part pushing against the edge of the female part, there's a 'hump' on every turn); sure they will turn with force, since the motor is strong enough to drive it, but I believe that they would get a lot of wear over time, especially at higher speeds. To check this, you should try to disconnect it from the drive motor so that you can spin it freely, and spin the hub from the wheel side to feel the friction. What I found is that roughly 1/4 stud more space for the movement of the steering rack is still ok, but 1/2 is just too much unfortunately. Let me know what you think.

42099 uses the same wheel hubs and steering works perfect. The rail is 1 stud closer to the center of the wheel and it has a better turn radius. 

Edited by vladoniki

8 minutes ago, vladoniki said:

42099 uses the same wheel hubs and stering works perfect. The rail is 1 stud closer to the center of the wheel and it it has a smaller turn radius. 

While it's true that in 42099 the steering rack itself is one stud closer to the center of the wheel, there is a limiter on the other side of the axle, which is one stud further (so exactly the same geometry as the Zetros), which limits the movement to 1 stud laterally, so the result is exactly the same angle as in the Zetros. It simply has a smaller turning radius because it has a shorter wheel base (the two axles are closer).

Edited by gyenesvi