Petraean Alley

Some say black oil is the most precious resource in Kaliphlin, but if you look at where people live, you’ll see it is water. Tall buildings line the the narrow streets and alleyways of Petraea. Crowded cities arise around the scarce sources of water in this desert land.

Petraean Alley  

Spoiler

I built this MOC for the 12x12 Vignette category of the Summer Joust contest. An optical illusion is included, see if you can figure it out. Hint: element 6103793.

‘Proof’ it is 12x12  

Dude, that mirror at an angle is just incredible.  Well played sir, well played indeed.

The mirror is brilliant, makes this look way bigger than it is!  Nice variety of colors without being overwhelming in such a small footprint too.

Excellent use of the piece to achieve the effect.
A nice construction overall. :classic:

Nice job! The mirror is subtle but adds depth.  I like how you have colors accenting the build yet still maintain the tans of Kali.

Oh, that's brilliant with the mirror. Like a real movie-making solution to creating an illusion of depth. Love it. 

I love these smaller detailed builds.  The illusion is an Expert level detail!  The building style appears consistent throughout which is doubly impressive being a free build.  Well done!

On 7/17/2021 at 4:12 PM, mrcp6d said:

Dude, that mirror at an angle is just incredible.  Well played sir, well played indeed.

Thanks!  I stole the idea from some book nooks I've seen.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:21 PM, Kai NRG said:

The mirror is brilliant, makes this look way bigger than it is!  Nice variety of colors without being overwhelming in such a small footprint too.

I thought it was a good way to get more 'space' out of 12 stud depth.  I wished there was a larger mirror piece, but this worked well.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, Niku said:

Excellent use of the piece to achieve the effect.
A nice construction overall. :classic:

Thank you!

On 7/17/2021 at 9:01 PM, Spader said:

bravo, ingenious way of getting the look just right

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:38 AM, Grover said:

Nice job! The mirror is subtle but adds depth.  I like how you have colors accenting the build yet still maintain the tans of Kali.

Thanks - I really liked being able to include some bolder colors - I wish the teal door came out a bit brighter, but I guess allies are dark.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Amazing technique! :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 7/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, Servertijd said:

love this one!, the mirror is a very clever idea!

Thank you - I'm glad I got the effect to work using pure LEGO pieces

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, caiman0637 said:

Very good build!

I'm glad you liked it.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, Retro said:

Oh, that's brilliant with the mirror. Like a real movie-making solution to creating an illusion of depth. Love it. 

I'm happy it came out well.  I haven't seen anyone do this with LEGO yet, but I may have missed someone else's creation.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, Rockstaremcee said:

I love these smaller detailed builds.  The illusion is an Expert level detail!  The building style appears consistent throughout which is doubly impressive being a free build.  Well done!

Thank you for the kind words.

Nice detailed build and that optical illusion is top notch! Good choice to have a colorful door being visible only in the reflection :thumbup: