Dyen

ROTATOR TOW TRUCK - 42098 C MODEL

Hello everyone, I would like to show you my new Rotator Tow Truck which is built from Lego 42098 Car Transporter. First I want to say - you probably see some similarity to new 42128 tow truck, but I started this project before we had any info about new summer sets.. First prototype that I had was in october 2020. The most challenging were side outriggers, because I wanted to create typical scissors outriggers as the real truck has.
51299758420_956c2b68e2_b.jpg
The inside of the model is quite complex and thats the reason why I left idea about rear axle steering, basically there was no space for the mechanism and in the end no parts also. Model has fake 6cylinder engine, opening hood, opening doors, HOG steering on the top, side/rear outriggers, lower/raise rear towing arm with extension. I also created sandwich construction for crane arm rotating, because in this set was no turntable for it - but you can add one very easily! I think this is a nice addition for tow truck fans and future 42128 owners 🙂
51299458269_1737c5865f_c.jpg

I am usually trying to use original stickers in my C models and with this one as well, you can see warning stripes on rear and side outriggers and on rear towing arm and especially on the front grill which makes the look.

Dimensions: 16cm wide, 52cm lenght/68cm with extended towing arm and 19,5cm height.
Model has 2087 parts. Only extra part in this model is a rope, you can use one from 42108 for example.

Functions:
• Steering with HOG
• Drive
• Fake engine/moving pistons
• Opening doors
• Opening engine cover
• Winch with lock mechanism
• Wheel grabber fork with adjustable angle
• Tow lifting arm(2 possitions)
• Boom extention
• Boom elevation
• Turntable rotation(limited by its contruction)
• Side outriggers
Edited by Dyen

5 minutes ago, Dyen said:

First I want to say - you probably see some similarity to new 42128 tow truck, but I started this project before we had any info about new summer sets.

I'd like to say that, even if you made this after 42128 was revealed... it is still an incredible piece of work! Looks fantastic!

51 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It does indeed look superb! Maybe a side-by-side comparison with 42128 is warranted here?

Naw... com'on.  Our skepticism is running amuck here.  Lets be rational.   We can't just focus on the coincidence that these two were released at the same time and their similarities.  This a C model.  Even IF if were created AFTER 42128 it was with restricted pieces with only the parts list from 42098, and it would take weeks if not months to do even a copy of 42198 (which it is not) given the limited parts palette.  

Naw, this build indeed was started long ago, with the limited parts anticipated, planned, etc.  before pertinent details of 42198 emerged.  Lets not besmirch this C model......

Great job @dyen - watching details now I just wanted to put the kibosh on this other stuff  from the get-go - 

Edited by nerdsforprez

I'm not accusing Dyen of copying anything. I'm fully aware that this was developed entirely separately from 42128.

I merely wanted to see the two trucks side-by-side for a simple comparison. It's an arbitrary wonderment that's understandably been taken the wrong way.

And once more to Dyen: fantastic job!

8 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm not accusing Dyen of copying anything. I'm fully aware that this was developed entirely separately from 42128.

I merely wanted to see the two trucks side-by-side for a simple comparison. It's an arbitrary wonderment that's understandably been taken the wrong way.

And once more to Dyen: fantastic job!

:thumbup:  Got it... and from a cursory review I see a gear rack in place of an actual or pneumatics to raise/lower crane boom.  Brilliant use of pieces!!

Awesome model - I feel like there are even some spots that are detailed better than in 42128.

You could pick on some minor details, that's a C-model so it's understandable.

I can only join the crowd with praise. This is a magnificent model, and being a C model makes it all the more commendable. This car transporter is turning out to be quite the C-model supplier, I believe. Cool to see how you replicated pneumatic or linear actuator and turntable functionality without the usual parts for those. This is what C-modelling is about, finding new creative uses for parts.

My favorite function has to be those side outriggers, how you made the double motion work is pure genius :)

Of course, it impossible to not compare this to 42128. Compared to that, what I like on your model is how the crane doesn't look oversized, the car lifter doesn't raise to ridiculous heights, and the truck itself doesn't feel overly long. It feels like a really compact function-dense model. There being only 2 rear axles helps a lot, even if you miss the raiseable axle function :) I like how you used the parts of the blue car for the crane. It also feels less "blocky" than the 42128 set, with more angles or rounded shapes.

The only thing I don't like is how your blueprint images are using perspective. To me, wireframe images on a blue background grid should not have perspective ;)

So yeah, great truck. I even like how you did the locking ratchet function for the winch :) 

Edited by Erik Leppen

Wow, that's a really great alternate model! Related but sufficiently different from the original set. Apart from all the cool functions, I think the bodywork is also outstanding, with smooth lines, great colour consistency and nice details!

And the timing.. it's like with Nico's F150.. it does happen sometimes :)

Wow.

Very nice model. Well-solved lifting mechanism of the crane arm. What I don't like is the poor stability of the crane during rotation. When watching a video, I get terribly annoyed by these blackboards with subtitles. The texts displayed under the video are much better. Great C model. 

I am not a fan of the design, it is a bit messy to me. But the quantity of functions makes me love your model. It is almost as functional as the new 42128.

Guys thank you very much for all reactions! I will make side-by-side comparison with 42128 for sure. I know about poor stability of the crane during rotation, but I really wanted to make it rotating and as I said, you can easilly add the turntable to this construction :) 

Just finished the build - given that it is a C model the range and execution of functions is truly excellent. Decided to add the turntable - is the restricted rotation arc characteristic of the type of truck? Very impressed with your work Dyen - have done 3 of your designs to date - well done each time. A very well presented .pdf as well by Forlock.