kbalage

Augmented reality function demo in the Control+ app for 42129

As I see this feature was maybe a bit too hidden in the Control+ app, I did not see it being mentioned by other reviews I saw despite being one of the highlights of the set for me. Basically you get an augmented reality overlay of the Zetros truck in the app, you can "strip down" the model and see the details of the drive train, and you can also switch it on (virtually), have an x-ray view of all the gears, shafts and differentials running, engage the diff lock and test the steering! I really love the feature and it has tons of potential, I hope it'll get used and explored further in the next updates of the Control+ app. Here's a quick demonstration of it, more details will come in my review video:

Now that is something fresh! I wonder if it will become possible at some point to load a digital model of a MOC into the app and do the same with any model, that would really blow me off my socks!!

Good and bad. Good that it allows you to see inside to see all the moving parts, especially now that models in general are all plated over, but bad in the sense that it's more time looking at something fake on a screen instead of something physical and real. Still it's a pretty cool addition and I'll no doubt try it out myself. Pretty neat!

A bit confusing, why would it even need the physical build in the first place? Plenty of AR apps can use just the surrounding environment (Sony Xperia camera for example). 

Honesly, just a way to fake value for money without providing anything real - you need a 300€ set to use this AR thingy... That's more expensive than what my professional drawing software costs, not to mention a simple AR app with preloaded animations. 

What this should've been IMHO:

- Scan a QR code in a catalogue or website and preview the model/insides/functions with that AR thing in an app. 

- Have an option for AR goggles (Google Cardboard or similar, where they use the phone as the screen)

A small gripe about your video though, quite uncomfortable to have a vertical video when the vehicle being filmed is longer than it is higher :wink: 

@syclone the app is still in beta, so hopefully the virtual-only part will be accessible without the set.

About the vertical video, I wanted to test YouTube Shorts and that only works with this format :) 

If this is "The coolest new feature" of the app, then I don't see any reason to get it :hmpf:

This set doesn't even gain anything from the C+ system. The only place C+ could have been useful was for the diff lock, where a calibrated motor could have provided a precise locking movement without using a linear clutch. The way it is now the Zetros could just as well be powered by the old PF system.

@Gray Gear the coolest new feature of the app, as the other features are pretty much conventional. Another set of meaningless challenges are not very exciting... 

The diff lock has a much better use of the simple M motor and the clutches for multiple reasons. Since a single motor controls both differential locks and there's a significant difference between the amount of gears / gear ratio involved and the "length" of the mechanism between the motor and the differentials, one of them closes sooner than the other. This means that central clutch has to engage a little bit to ensure a proper position on the rear differential. Additionally, LEGO is still a plastic toy and not precise metal machinery, there's a significant slack when this amount of gears are used so you need to have some play with the clutches. Just check the gearbox of 42114, that one relies on the position of the motor and can become misaligned fairly easily. 

7 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

If this is "The coolest new feature" of the app, then I don't see any reason to get it :hmpf:

This set doesn't even gain anything from the C+ system. The only place C+ could have been useful was for the diff lock, where a calibrated motor could have provided a precise locking movement without using a linear clutch. The way it is now the Zetros could just as well be powered by the old PF system.

You can build it and control it with the old PF system, but Lego no longer produce PF or sets using PF.

8 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

The way it is now the Zetros could just as well be powered by the old PF system.

I'm building one with good ole PF in Studio.

Now, I'd really like to see this kind of stuff for some of the more complex older sets like 42055 or the gearboxes of various supercars, where the workings of various functions are not that clear for a non-engineer. Of course we won't get that from TLG for old sets, but it's a pretty cool feature nevertheless, and hopefully utilized to its full potential in the future sets.