Jim

[REVIEW] 42129 - 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Trial Truck

Tell us what you think  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like this set?

21 hours ago, VBBN said:

The stickers continue to be as ugly, gaudy, and very non-AFOL looking as ever, though. 

When Lamborghini came out with all parts printed, I thought that we'll finally get some premium quality for big money, but even in new SW UCS sets are a lot of strikers. Luckily, the Zetros looks much better without them.

Great review Jim!! The set isn't my favourite due to the price, but still very well done.  I really like the differential lock mechanism and I might use it in a MOC in future.

Edited by Teo LEGO Technic

1 hour ago, Teo LEGO Technic said:

Great review Jim!! The set isn't my favourite due to the price, but still very well done.  I really like the differential lock mechanism and I might use it in a MOC in future.

Thanks. I can totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it does pack a lot of cool stuff.

2 hours ago, Citromon said:

When Lamborghini came out with all parts printed, I thought that we'll finally get some premium quality for big money, but even in new SW UCS sets are a lot of strikers. Luckily, the Zetros looks much better without them.

One think most people don't know, or don't realize, is that every printed part is a new unique part, which needs to be stored. It's imply not possible to have all the stickered parts printed. That's why every theme gets a certain capacity of printed parts. And yes, I agree UCS sets should have printed parts only, but unfortunately that's not how the cookie crumbles :wink: 

</offtopic>

The Zetros does look great without stickers. I don't miss them at all.

Great review, Jim! I really don't understand the negativity about this set and about the price point. Almost everything that was criticized about 42099 (lack of torque, wobbly steering, open diffs, ugly visible turntable) was fixed for the Zetros, only the ground clearance is worse, due to smaller tires and the diff lock taking up so much space, which is an acceptable compromise imo. Even the 6x6 configuration was ditched to make it more capable and not repeat the Volvo experience, which is still fine for hauling only. You couldn't make a set like this without PU and add a "motor pack" later to it because the whole model is designed around the motors and they support the structure.
If you want a fully manual set buy the Tow truck, if you want a set without functions just to display, buy an 18+ set, but the Zetros is designed for children who want an out of the box RC experience including a cool augmented reality view of the functions. Show a little gratitude to the designers who also read these posts and be happy you have such a wide variety to choose from. There is still a cool bulldozer coming this year and next year we'll get another 1:8 super car, 3 more RC sets and many more to come.

23 hours ago, VBBN said:

Great review Jim,

2021 is proving to be a very good year for new Tires/sizes IMO. 

While the Control+ does it's usual job of blowing the price tag out of proportion, I do like the features here, and as someone ramping up in Technic interest, there's a lot of good & newer parts to be had. They are trapped behind a Control+ price barrier, but it also doesn't hurt to get more of those elements, it is cheaper than buying them separately through Lego anyway. 

The stickers continue to be as ugly, gaudy, and very non-AFOL looking as ever, though. 

There will be good deals eventually, so just be patient :wink:

2021 is turning out fine indeed!

On 7/19/2021 at 11:17 PM, howitzer said:

The way I see it, biggest drawback of PU right now compared to PF is the lack of a physical remote. Yes, you can use third party solutions, but it's not the same as official out-of-the box solution. 

I really hope some kind of physical remote is in the works, it would make sets like Zetros so much more appealing.

I agree. I would love to see a remote.

57 minutes ago, Jim said:

It's imply not possible to have all the stickered parts printed.

Ya, I was saying only about 18+ sets, especially those over $300)

16 minutes ago, Citromon said:

Ya, I was saying only about 18+ sets, especially those over $300)

That would be nice, but I'm afraid that still not feasible :sadnew:

This set is well designed, but I still think it's too expensive. Yes it is logical for all the C+ parts, but you can buy 2x 42128 (1x of them has 2k parts too) for the same price.

Edited by mic8per_

Nice review and nice pictures! I really like this set. Let's see how much the price will drop after release, because that's the only thing that keeps me from ordering right away ;)

Yes, price seems high compared to 42114 but I still plan to get it. Based on the video reviews it will need aftermarket tires; where's a good place to get them?

Also, when will Lego release the parts list for this?

2 minutes ago, u118224 said:

Yes, price seems high compared to 42114 but I still plan to get it. Based on the video reviews it will need aftermarket tires; where's a good place to get them?

Also, when will Lego release the parts list for this?

I don't see the instructions available from LEGO yet, but Sariel in his video shows the parts list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX90cXRnIMg

There is one thing that I really don't understand with this set - why they made an open/close differential option, if the open differential has no advantages over the closed one? Why not to make it closed from the box? This function, which is one of the main selling points of the set, seems useless. 

Edited by Citromon

4 hours ago, Citromon said:

There is one thing that I really don't understand with this set - why they made an open/close differential option, if the open differential has no advantages over the closed one? Why not to make it closed from the box? This function, which is one of the main selling points of the set, seems useless. 

Well, it is cool!

I'd rather have cool, pointless functions than nothing, though cool, point-full functions are even better!

10 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Well, it is cool!

I'd rather have cool, pointless functions than nothing, though cool, point-full functions are even better!

Indeed. Compared to the empty shell Ferrari, I'd take this next to useless function over it any day.

7 hours ago, Citromon said:

It’d make more sense if the steering weren’t so godawful

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

It’d make more sense if the steering weren’t so godawful

That's what I was expecting with an open diff. too - a better turning radius. But here I just don't see the point to use it. Almost like the 2-3 gear in Volvo, when it can't climb a carpet. 

58 minutes ago, Citromon said:

That's what I was expecting with an open diff. too - a better turning radius. But here I just don't see the point to use it. Almost like the 2-3 gear in Volvo, when it can't climb a carpet. 

Yeah the volvo really needed dual drive with suspension, not some pointless gearbox.

I see two reasons why it has lockable diffs, firstly because the real one has lockable diffs (that's good enough reason for me). And secondly it's probably because lockable diffs IIRC has been a popular fan request. I think the only reason why the steering radius isn't affected much is because it's so large to begin with. But I'd say that's an issue with the steering rather than the diff locks. But at least with open diffs one would have to assume that you will have less stress on the drive train and increased battery life, so while locking diffs definitely helps with off road performance, there can still be a good reason for being able to unlock the diffs (besides the first two reasons previously mentioned) even if you don't notice the difference in steering radius. 

Edited by allanp

14 hours ago, Citromon said:

This function - like the 3 speed gearbox in the Volvo - has more educational than play value. You build a functional feature that you can understand and see it in action. Having the diff open when you are not climbing certainly puts less stress on the components so it's advisable on a longer term. It might not have a huge visual difference, but if you want to demonstrate that then it's enough to lift a wheel or two when it is open. 

About the turning radius, that's a combination of multiple factors. First the wheelbase - that was given by the proportions of the original. Second, these wheel hubs on the live axle. They had to be mounted on a certain way, and that's what the system allows, there's really not more left in there. 

Regarding the steering, I'm playing with the hub in my hand, and I can seem to get roughly 30 degrees of steering lock before the hub starts getting any friction. I definitely hope someone figures out how to improve the steering angle

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

This function - like the 3 speed gearbox in the Volvo - has more educational than play value.

I'm looking forward to seeing your video with different tires and maybe some mods.

The set looks nice, and the review is well done. However, like others on here, Lego sets have become rather expensive lately, with little playability besides the RC drive/steer functions.

How many RC vehicles can TLG come up with and bring novelty/interest now and then? 

6 minutes ago, DrJB said:

The set looks nice, and the review is well done. However, like others on here, Lego sets have become rather expensive lately, with little playability besides the RC drive/steer functions.

How many RC vehicles can TLG come up with and bring novelty/interest now and then? 

I think the question is "how many RC vehicles can TLG come up with that actually work?"