Jim

[REVIEW] 42129 - 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Trial Truck

Tell us what you think  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like this set?

The good:

• I really like the build itself, the technical solutions inside, right amount of innovation brought on the table. I really appreciate it!

The bad:

• C+ still not my cup of tea, no physical controller is a no go.
  • Price... for what it offers, it is just way too much. I know it is a bit different, but price- and target-wise this set is really in RC crawlers territory, where it bleeds out before the start, sorry.
  • Only gripe in structrual point of view: manoeuvrability. For a Trial Truck this poor steering angle is unfortunately a big miss.

Would I enjoy to build this more than my Axial SCX10? I am not sure, maybe a bit due to my romantic relation to Technic.

Would I choose the Zetros over my SCX10 for a ride? Never.

2 hours ago, Andman said:

Btw, I haven't seen any comment on color inconsistencies in any review so far (ot i missed it). Did you notice any during your recent reviews?

I haven't experienced any noticeable color differences.

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Jim so these tyres fit in between the Class and Jeep ones ? Any chance of a photo comparison of all 3?

I was planning on doing so, but I have stored some of my LEGO at my parents, because we are planning on renovating the top floor. One of the stored boxes contains my tires.

14 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

By the way, for being bullied by a weird plastic animal on wheels for minutes on end, your cat seems to keep its calm quite well :P

It really wasn't intentional to have the cat appear in my video, but he is so curious. You simply can't do anything in home without him checking it out :laugh:

Great review! But as for the truck itself in the end all it really does is... drive? Its design leaves much to be desired, it's essentially a glorified chassis. Even if this thing is discounted I've just no interest in it.

1 hour ago, RNRS001 said:

But as for the truck itself in the end all it really does is... drive?

That's the case for all Control+ sets, they all can drive, but in different ways)

10 minutes ago, Citromon said:

That's the case for all Control+ sets, they all can drive, but in different ways)

I know, but that's really all there is to it. This is a 300 Euro set with it's only function being able to drive steep hills. It's why, when LEGO did that survey, I voted against Control+ sets.

1 hour ago, RNRS001 said:

Great review! But as for the truck itself in the end all it really does is... drive? Its design leaves much to be desired, it's essentially a glorified chassis. Even if this thing is discounted I've just no interest in it.

I do understand your point of view. It can be a kind of limited for that price point.

18 minutes ago, Citromon said:

Let's wait and see if this goes for the CAT as well.

7 minutes ago, RNRS001 said:

I know, but that's really all there is to it. This is a 300 Euro set with it's only function being able to drive steep hills. It's why, when LEGO did that survey, I voted against Control+ sets.

I reckon you feel more comfortable in the other review topic :wink: :sweet:

Many thanksfor this review!!! 

I was ready to dismiss this set, but compared with the 4x4 Truck 42099 I find this one better. It is now a maybe instead of a nonono

As 42099 has reached sub 170 € frequently, this one could be at 210€ or lower. Still a high price tag but you get one more motor plus the new parts. I am happy to have skipped the 4x4 and I thanks Lego to give us the opportunity to choose. This seems a better set to jump into PoweredUp, maybe...

...and being a grohl's baby I bet there will be several outstanding B models soon

I'd lik to congratulate @grohl for creating this model. Sure, as we all know, it has some problems, like every technic set it seems, but softer springs and different wheels could do much to this set.

RM8 has published a nice offroad video highlighting the capabilities of this set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2U4hMskqng

And after seeing this all the reviews I have seen so far are in a different light. This truck has some serious power and the remote diff-lock is a very nice touch to fully remote control the truck.

I wonder if the set designers have a word with the app or if they have to "arrange" hemselves with whatever the app-division comes up with.

Also interesting (and pretty cool) is the x-ray 3d version within the app to see how the functions work and what they do. Nice. Being the old white technology oriented man I am I appreciate this but somehow am more for manual functions, without any app dependence (like the tow truck) but for this set I thnk there was no other way to have it remote controlled so they tried to enrich the experience with those extras.

54 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

Many thanksfor this review!!! 

I was ready to dismiss this set, but compared with the 4x4 Truck 42099 I find this one better. It is now a maybe instead of a nonono

Hehe :thumbup:

46 minutes ago, scooper22 said:

Also interesting (and pretty cool) is the x-ray 3d version within the app to see how the functions work and what they do. Nice. Being the old white technology oriented man I am I appreciate this but somehow am more for manual functions, without any app dependence (like the tow truck) but for this set I thnk there was no other way to have it remote controlled so they tried to enrich the experience with those extras.

Yeah that's very cool. I forgot to mention that in my review.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Let's wait and see if this goes for the CAT as well.

That one will be too expensive for me, but Zetros still has a chance. Even my wife, that is not really into technic, said that this set show some great climbing performance, so maybe at a good discount, I will buy it eventually. 

12 hours ago, Seasider said:

so these tyres fit in between the Class and Jeep ones ? Any chance of a photo comparison of all 3?

@Seasider 3:20 in my vid: 

Great review! Just wondering - the bed color is bright green (like 42039) instead of regular green, correct?

9 hours ago, Sariel said:

3:20 in my vid: 

Could you please tell what kind or tires are at 29.16?

Outstanding photos as per usual @Jim Great work! I really like the ‘new’ style of the review - I do think that you writing your thoughts as you build really gives the review a natural feel. The build looks great. A little pricey for me I think, but if I can get it for a good discount then I’ll look forward to building! I expect a fair few B/C models as well (possibly even from the designer, eh @grohl ?) :)

@Jim (or anybody else) can you show us a picture of the Zetros next to the Arocs 42043. I would like to see if the scala of booth models fit.

14 minutes ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

@Jim (or anybody else) can you show us a picture of the Zetros next to the Arocs 42043. I would like to see if the scala of booth models fit.

If you want information; both real trucks are 2500mm wide and both LEGO interpretations have 19 studs chassis width (if I saw correctly)

... including front mudguards...

On 7/17/2021 at 6:00 PM, Jim said:

It's very easy to swap colors if you are not into green.

I'm pretty happy with the green, plus it works well with the DGB.

One thing that has been bothering me about people's criticisms of this set is the high price. Which is one of the main things that usually steers me away from these larger RC sets, they always seem to cost too much for me. However this time I didn't feel that way, quite the opposite actually, it seems to be a decent price to me, for a change, something that surprised me, for sure.

My thinking was, the electronics alone are worth at least $150, 4 motors and a smart hub in this day and age, doesn't seem half bad, of course if bought separately the price is far higher. Then if you factor in the parts another $150 for 2,000 pieces seems a good bargain, considering other set prices. Take for instance the tow truck similar part count for also $150. Then taking into account the parts you get, it actually seems like a decent value.

Is it overpriced, likely but not so much so than any other set, which is what baffles me so much. I guess I just don't understand why so many are completely dead set against this set, based solely on price. Obviously it is only my opinion but it just doesn't seem any worse than any other recent set PF or PU.

For once I think I will actually be buying one of these larger RC sets and the tow truck, two sets I am very happy to see this year. Rarely are there two larger sets in one wave that I enjoy as much as these.

I just really find it puzzling.

And yes I realize the tow truck is a pneumatic set which makes its parts a better value, however I also think this set has some not so common parts as well, which makes it a good value as well.

Edited by Johnny1360

36 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

My thinking was, the electronics alone are worth at least $150

Maybe we do not all think that. This is cheap, non sophisticated mass-prodiuced electronics. While those parts do sell for +150$, the parts are definitly not worth it to me

One of my other hobbies are proper RC cars and you can get much more fancy electronics, much more powerfull motors from smaller MFGs with noi problem

LEGO is expensive for one reason only

Yes of course, that is what I meant, it is no more expensive than usual for LEGO, in fact seems less expensive than normal, I guess I should have made that clear. LEGO has always been a rather expensive toy, one of the reasons I hardly had any as a child, most of which was bought as gifts from non relatives, twice to be exact. Hell a I remember asking for LEGO for Christmas, when I was 13, in the early part of the 70's and my dad would have no part of it. Instead I got a Honda 70cc motorbike. Which I certainly enjoyed far more.

It just seems like price is the go-to complaint about LEGO sets, when people need an excuse to not buy a particular set and it strikes me as odd as it's just business as usual for TLG. Most here are painfully aware of this fact as well which even baffles me all the more.

I also have a friend who is big into RC cars and helicopters and although there may be some less expensive parts, it is in noway less expensive than LEGO, especially when it comes to batteries and all those machined aluminum frame pieces and suspension components and those helicopters can be crazy expensive, for something that can be rendered useless in seconds.

If you are after RC enjoyment, LEGO should not even be a consideration as it pales in comparison.

Edited by Johnny1360

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

Yes of course, that is what I meant, it is no more expensive than usual for LEGO, in fact seems less expensive than normal, I guess I should have made that clear.

I very much disagree. To me, the set is comparable to the 42114 Volvo Loader. $150USD for a hub, three smart motors and one dumb motor is far too much for the electronics, considering that electronics are generally cheaper when in sets. PU in general is too expensive for what playability the sets offer.