Classic_Spaceman

Swear-Filter Question

Why does the forum's swear-filter censor mild profanity, such as "a-s-s" andย "b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t" (the latter is quite confusing, as "shit" is not changed)? Eurobricks requires that members be at least 18 years old to join, so presumably the majority of members would have no issue with such words. ๐Ÿ˜•
ย 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

I believe I asked a similar question before. But if I had to guess little kids could see or read the site with out joining up.ย 

I'm not sure either, but if I had to guess, it's to keep the forum pure and clean. I don't mind the censorship, makes us different from Reddit.ย :wink:

If this site is recognised as official fan media then it might have been a requirement by Lego, like the rule to not post confidential images.

At least they don't have the Scunthorpe problem!

Don't forget the issues looking for Sussex University when at school! (I do wonder if that would have actually impacted people applying to go? I know some lazy friends who would quickly move on!)ย 

So, the filter is in place to deal with keeping things at least kind of polite? But from a US English standard. After all, some posts elsewhere can be unreadable because of wannabe "gangsta" teenagers being unable to use a non-offensive word without at least two swears to sandwich it in.ย 

Honestly, as staff, I don't think it applies to my posts and I don't use "language" often so it hasn't affected me (plus, I have been staff like, ten years, so I can't remember incidental stuff like what got filtered).ย 

But when people get offended and claim abusive behaviour if you disagree with them strongly, I think we will keep the swears out.ย 

I think I have only been auto filtered due to megabloks, but that is allowed now.

Does <insert that tiresome argument> still get done? Edit - yes, junior ized gets replaced.

Edited by MAB

Additionally, like someone mentioned above, it's an 18+ site to join but anyone can read it. There is absolutely no reason to be cursing in threads, you can always take it to PM unfiltered if you really need to.ย 

However, many studies have shown that swearing is good - and healthy

A nice summery here :

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/dont-watch-your-mouth-swearing-can-actually-be-good-for-your-health

Also, naughty words have been around EB since the beginning (and even comming from some of the founders)

Just type this into google :

site:eurobricks.com BAD WORD

Replace BAD WORD with you know what, like fvck and sh1t, properly spelled :wink:

Sure kids are looking at this site (and posting, sigh), but if they get offended (trust me they don't - their parents might), the right question is NOT to ban naughty words but to ask those parents to, you know parent, and keep their kids of EB

Cheers,

Ole

I mean, if you want to get yourย kicks looking for swears and curses on a LEGO fan site, you do you.ย 

Some of the stuff we block is because we got fed up of seeing it, some was blocked because loud and complaint proneย members got their panties in a twist if they come across it. This is a forum run by the forum staff and it all rules come down to how we want to run it.ย 

Go hang out in 4Chan if you must discuss your LEGO withย 18 rated language.

That is not a very nice response

I merely pointed out that swearing has been around on EB as long as the forum has existed. And that it in many cases do not get deleted/reprimanded etc. Hence the google links

And that maybe swearing may not be as bad as some suggest as well

Where I get my kicks is none of your megablock business, but I can assure you it's not on EB :laugh: How you twist your own knickers are none of my business either

ย 

As long as it is not used to ban users I do not really care.

I have been automatically kicked from another place for saying "Je kunt dat niet doen" (which means "You cannot do that") in a private chat with another Dutch-speaking person. Apparently the automatic swear-filter assumed "kunt" (which is the verb "can") to be too close to a certain English swear-word.

Edited by Lira_Bricks

I should clarify why I started this thread! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
The only place where I have had any issues with the swear-filter is the Heroica sub-forum. Yelana (my character, for those who are unaware) swears, and I have needed to come up with workarounds for some of her dialogue. This has been mildly irritating, which is why I asked about the rationale behind the filter (and the inconsistencies therein).ย 

If there's an inconsistency, it's likely because someone didn't think of it, or it didn't come up often enough to be important. But a general reason is that unnecessaryย swear words come off as juvenile and crassย to many people, it lowers the tone of a conversation and can drive people away from a platform. The existence of swear filters ensures that people uncomfortable with crude language aren't driven away and can interact with others here.

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I should clarify why I started this thread! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
The only place where I have had any issues with the swear-filter is the Heroica sub-forum. Yelana (my character, for those who are unaware) swears, and I have needed to come up with workarounds for some of her dialogue. This has been mildly irritating, which is why I asked about the rationale behind the filter (and the inconsistencies therein).ย 

You could make up your own swear words. Or just self censore your self for example of what I did, "What the *BEEP*!" I am sure people will get what you are trying to say (or do).ย 

Why would a being living in an advanced future space setting with roots in a fantasy source be using English curses? Take it as a chance to develop a situation suitable set of words.

Most swear words are derived from Blasphemies, Copulation or Bodily Function.ย 

There are deities in Heroica, a curse would refer to them or their sphere of influence.ย  There are very many ways to refer to the act of procreation (or going solo) and if used with enough vehemence (or by being Australian!) Anything can meanย that.ย ย As for bodily functions, in super future space, there are a few more things to choose from (alien biology, cybernetic and robotic malfunction etc).ย 

This has been a Creative Writing 101.

Brilliant ^ that answer is the dog's dangly bits.

I donโ€™t know if swears/curses should be censored internationally butย Eurobricks is supposed to be a freindly and covid place for all AFOLs.ย 

Plus, a few teenagers under 18 just joined Eurobricks.ย 

And itโ€™s not just swears/curses but I have seen some insults to other users here. For example, โ€œLego Naziโ€ or โ€œeating my sh*tโ€. I guess insults are not filtered?ย 

UH no, we filter most "swears" insults are not.

Plus, I called one of my brothers "a cup of warm bean water" once, so, an insult is super subjective to try and filter out. A handful of insults here and there is just life. Any actually concentrated bullying should be reported.

Oh, and anyone who is super obviously not over 18 may be spoken with by staff. After all, they are breaking the agreement they made upon joining.

4 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Plus, I called one of my brothers "a cup of warm bean water" once,

... can I steal this insult?ย  really like it.

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

... can I steal this insult?ย  really like it.

Go for it. It was very satisfying to use at the time.:laugh: