MrWayne

[MOC] Wayne Manor + Batcave

My first LEGO set as a kid was the Alpha-1 Rocket Base. Fast forward 40+ years and I've been building LEGO sets with by two boys for almost a decade.
The one constant over the years is that the original sets never last long, but the imagination and creativity to make brand new creations is constantly evolving.

Years of building Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, and LEGO City sets resulted in thousands of pieces in multiple storage bins. After repurposing dismantled
sets recently, I wanted to try a "My Own Creation" project with my boys that took things to an entirely new level.

The love of LEGO, superheroes, and making things together inspired taking on this MOC project. I plan to keep track of this project and share progress, ask
questions, and get feedback.

PHASE 0 — Planning the Plan
There have been many variations on Batman, Wayne Manor, and the Batcave since the character appears in Detective Comics #27 in May 1939. Then add in
the 1960s TV show, cartoons, movies, video games, more movies, and stand alone graphic novels.

The good news is that there is a lot of source material to reference for this project. The bad news is that there is a lot of nuance and variation across decades of that source material. The original plan for the MOC was just to build out the Batcave, but the scope quickly expanded to include Wayne Manor too. And a quick search of some other MOCs done related to Batman were either too big or too small. The goal was to build something in the middle — and to have some fun doing it.

This meant planning out three structures that would need to come together at some point.
1) A multi-level stately Wayne Manor.
2) A multi-level Batcave underneath.
3) A surrounding support structure.

PHASE 1 — Construction Begins

The top level foundation work involved pinning together multiple Technic, Brick 16 x 16 x 1 1/3 with Holes pieces in green and black. I needed to have enough space for the Wayne Manor structure and some buffering at the back and edges. The result is a MOC that will be 80 studs long and 48 studs wide. This is the beginning of Wayne Manor.

bpost_1.jpg

Edited by MrWayne

The first floor of Wayne Manor is under construction. Custom printed floor tiles in the entry to the mansion. Making some changes to the original building plans to accommodate some important "hidden" features that need to be built.

kVEsC0j.jpg

Work in Progress on the main entrance to the first floor of Wayne Manor continues. Custom printed floor tiles and fireplace. Connecting walls to the study and Batcave entrance room are in place. Custom printed clock face at 10:47pm. Bruce Wayne gains access to the Batcave by setting a grandfather clock to 10:47pm. The time when his parents were murdered in Crime Alley. The entire clock rotates to reveal access to the Batcave. Making additional adjustments to the original floor plan including how the stairs will fit in and decorations over the fireplace.

7dJyNuJ.jpg

9jj8bdy.jpg

Edited by MrWayne

95% of the first floor of Wayne Manor is now completed. Kitten shows the scale. A good reminder that if the cat fits, then the cat sits.

K3LXNxA.jpg

Wayne family crest mounted above the fireplace inside the main entrance. Custom printed sticker on LEGO shield. Based on the crest that appears in the “Batman vs. Superman” film and an uncredited drawing posted on Reddit. Please leave a comment if you know the artist.

9w1NTQ9.jpg

Victorian-style greenhouse for the backyard of Wayne Manor. This MOC is inspired by the opening scenes of Batman Begins and multiple Batman comics. Complete with hidden arrowhead. Can you spot it?

dVEKwqT.jpg

le3E9UZ.jpg

The first floor of Wayne Manor has been completed. Includes custom floor tiling, grandfather clock that moves to give secret access to the Batcave. In the back of the property, there is a Victorian-style greenhouse and a boarded up well that falls into the Batcave too. Landscaping still needs to be done on the ground level.

Many lessons learned and adjustments to the design along the way. Phase 2 is next as we start building out the underlying Batcave.

dcvCMT7.jpg

Wow very nice these are my favorite kind of MOCs. Been designing one on and off for a long time myself 

PHASE 2 — Creative Inspiration

We have started building out various parts of the Batcave. One thing that is very important on this MOC is to get the details right. Making sure that different elements are as accurate or identifiable with the comics or movies is very important. This has meant acquiring a lot of unique LEGO pieces and using some creative inspiration to bring them to life.

For example, in the comics, movies, and LEGO games it is noted that Batman keeps kryptonite in the Batcave -- just in case it is ever needed. We used this inspiration to build a kryptonite vault that will be inside of the Batcave.

YIRDF2w.jpg

This is an exterior shot of the the Kryptonite Storage Vault located in the Batcave. The vault has a working door and internal locking mechanism. We made sure to line it in lead to keep it away from the prying eyes of Superman.

glSEudC.jpg

This is an interior shot of the the Kryptonite Storage Vault located in the Batcave. There are multiple rows of kryptonite, some security devices, and a kryptonite spear too.

eTZ1Yot.jpg

PHASE 3 — Oh Sh**!! Giant Massive Failure

The original plan was to have the multiple levels of the Batcave supported by some large support structures that would create a cantilevered roof. The idea was to support both the external rock structure and the weight of multiple levels. This would give the external appearance of a giant rock face with Wayne Manor on top and the internal supports would all be hidden away.

A lot of money was spent on the bricks needed to build the rocks and support structures. In total, there were five support structures built that were 16x16x16 just to support the first level of the Batcave. Every support structure was over 50 bricks and the image below is what just one of them looked like.

After some initial placement and tinkering it became clear that this was not going to work. The whole design and approach was a giant massive failure. We over engineered things and the approach would not scale. Not to mention the cost and time spent trying to get things to work. :cry2:

uVXcPKW.jpg

The original plan did not survive first contact with reality. A lot of lessons learned. It was time to pivot our design thinking.

In short, we went back to a more tried and true design that was a lot less complex. The next update will show the new (new) approach.

PHASE 4 — Batcave Construction Begins

With a new design plan ready to go it was time to start building out the first level of the Batcave. The vision is to still built three subterranean levels of the Batcave and Wayne Manor at the surface level.

The new approach meant at lot of rock work around the outside rim of the Batcave. Here is the start on one of the main sections.

kd28wst.jpeg

This is a view of three of the four sides almost completely built out. The rock work is 16 bricks high and 4 bricks deep in most sections. The goal was to provide both form and function. The rock work gives the appearance of a cave structure and the structure will also help to support to roof/floor of the next level.

jwKncaV.jpeg

Work in Progress on the lowest level of the Batcave. Installed the entry and exit ramp for the Batmobile that rotates. Progress in the extensive rock work. Area for waterfall is now in place. Working on the internals and greebling. Completely rethinking how the waterfall will work.

ALpd2w9.jpg

Glad to see you came up with a solution so quickly! If it were me I would have probably quit for months. :P It is coming together nicely!

Nice work getting the curved shape of the crest. I think the middle part of the mansion's facade would look better without the white parts staggered between the gray. Looking forward to seeing more.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, SoupOrFishOil said:

Glad to see you came up with a solution so quickly! If it were me I would have probably quit for months. :P It is coming together nicely!

Thanks! Yes, it was an un-fun moment after trying to get it to work for a while. As in life, it is very easy to over-engineering things.

15 hours ago, oo7 said:

Nice work getting the curved shape of the crest. I think the middle part of the mansion's facade would look better without the white parts staggered between the gray. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been making some design changes along the way. This project is becoming a lot of trial and error. ;-)

Now starting to work on the internals of the first level of the Batcave. Built an underground hydroelectric power plant that generates electricity from the waterfall. Beginning to fill in sections with greebling. Added a small waterfall and piping for power supply to a communications antenna array. Also added a power supply line to the rotating platform.iYM75RP.jpg

5NiOJSc.jpg

Working on all the little details inside the Batcave. We are really going for verisimilitude -- a fancy way of saying having the appearance of being real.

A small waterfall that comes out of the rock work. Every pipe leads to somewhere and can be turned on/off. Lots of dials and switches on machines. Warning signs and caution areas. It takes time, but the look and feel of everything is really important.

XCSbYcx.jpg

Working to finish more of the details for the first level of the Batcave. Added a tire storage area for vehicles and also added a refueling station. It's not like Batman or Alfred pull up to the local service shop, right?

Continuing the design pattern of adding as much functional detail as possible. Signage, controls, and working parts whenever possible.

eZiM3tr.jpg

pnxObnw.jpg

We have completed most of the internals of the first level of the Batcave. Installing the waterfall at the entrance to the cave. Removed the ramp and platform temporarily to create the flooded floor effect using tiles and explains why elements of the Batcave need to be elevated. Completed the support columns and still need to do all the quions from bottom to top. Added more caution tiles and a few other adjustments.

LWeXOFQ.jpg

3ASgMBX.jpg

Most of the first level is now complete. Tested out the roof/floor sections and added lighting to the ceiling. Looked at multiple LED lighting options and eventually settled on some magnetic mounted versions. That allows charging and replacement without having to do too much reconstruction.

tLRDbZC.jpg

Here is a view from the outside in a dark room with just the Batcave lights turned on.

xLaqcV9.jpg

Really pleased how this came together after from trial and error. Continuing to put the finishing touches on this level.

Wow! This is a seriously detailed diorama you're building. Watching the various iterations is amazing. Keep it up.

46 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Wow! This is a seriously detailed diorama you're building. Watching the various iterations is amazing. Keep it up.

Thanks! I figured that it would be interesting to show all the behind-the-scenes work vs. the finished project. Yes, every day has a little bit of iteration.

Minor detour to finish working on a LEGO MOC Bat-Tank. This is based on the LEGO Super Heroes 76055 Batman: Killer Croc Sewer Smash set.

This was a major re-build of the Bat-Tank. Replaced battering ram with new front end. Added twin mini-guns and accent colored armor. Replaced original canopy and added defense counter measures. Added rotating 76mm cannon and ammunition storage. Completely redesigned rear end area and engine exhaust system.

KFRevoQ.jpg

QEYCGO2.jpg

Wow this is way better than I could ever hope to do, been in the drafting stages for mine for a long time never thought to add a power generator 

Excellent work so far! Great level of detail and great use of some interesting techniques.

I really like that you are referring to the all different Batman movies and comics.

Seems like Catwoman has grown a little. :D