kbalage

New LEGO rechargeable battery spotted

I stumbled upon some information on LEGO's website about a new rechargeable battery called "Rechargeable Battery No. 4". You can read the full story in the linked article, but here're the main parameters:

7.3V, 600 mAh, 4.38 Wh, weight: 25g

That's a pretty small battery with low capacity, so I'm really wondering what could be the product where it will be used. There're 3 set numbers listed on the webpage (45345, 45609, 45612) which suggest mostly Education products, although the first one is close the the WeDo 2.0 product numbers and I'd be surprised to see a new product developed for that. So maybe the first one can be a regular consumer product? We'll see soon I guess.

I listed some theories in my blog post, but I'd love to hear your versions. 

Think about education team made new BricQ set for replace machines & mechanics but it doesen't include any kind of motor, I think it will be include in new extension pack of BricQ.

600mah is what you get in a MouldKing battery. It doesn't get you far, but it's fine especially for smaller lighter models.

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

I listed some theories in my blog post, but I'd love to hear your versions. 

I would love it if theory #2 turned out to be true.  I would love to see Mindstorms sensors that are wireless. Color or force sensor would be great.  I would also love to see an encoder that’s separate from the motor to accurately measure rotation.  I suspect that 600 mAh is probably too large for these applications, however, so it seems very unlikely to me.

Hmmm, the name "Technic Small Hub" sounds promising. Hopefully it's not the train one in a different case... 

26 minutes ago, syclone said:

Hmmm, the name "Technic Small Hub" sounds promising. Hopefully it's not the train one in a different case... 

Wanna bet? It has a 600 mAh battery... at least the case will be (hopefully) smaller, but I'd be very surprised to see more than 2 ports on it.