29 minutes ago, Maple said:

No.
Title of thread... "New themes in 2022?"
Doesn't say anything about original themes. 

Huh, you are right. But I thought action and adventure is only for original themes. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Ok so…what is a new/rumored theme? I mean Overwach is not really a new theme at this point. 

It's Overwatch 2. :tongue:

The theme is supposed to be LEGO Games, but based on video games and not the board games like a decade ago. They are supposed to be like one off sets of different video games. The Horizon Zero Dawn Tallneck supposedly has 1,222 pieces, 80 dollars or Euros and is released May 1.

13 hours ago, Maple said:

It's Overwatch 2. :tongue:

The theme is supposed to be LEGO Games, but based on video games and not the board games like a decade ago. They are supposed to be like one off sets of different video games. The Horizon Zero Dawn Tallneck supposedly has 1,222 pieces, 80 dollars or Euros and is released May 1.

Well…Overwatch is not exactly a new theme. Just an old theme with new characters and new sets. :P

but gotcha. 

1 hour ago, Mr No said:

Well, we get Indiana Jones (first 3 movies) and Avatar 2 themes in the fall. 

in that case, I’m quite excited about Indiana Jones and Avatar themes! I need to create my multi-verse storylines out of imgination. 

Just out of curiosity, why we are getting Indiana Jones theme? Did I miss something like new movie? Because the "5" is on hold right? (it is not complain at all! I love the original three films :sweet:)

Edited by tomfow

29 minutes ago, tomfow said:

Just out of curiosity, why we are getting Indiana Jones theme? Did I miss something like new movie? Because the "5" is on hold right? (it is not complain at all! I love the original three films :sweet:)

The 5th film got delayed to 2023, most likely the Indy 5 sets also had sets based on the previous films with Indy 5 sets. They decided to release the old films this year for the comeback of the theme. 

34 minutes ago, tomfow said:

The 5th movie comes out in July 2023.

4 hours ago, Celebrian Telrunya said:

The return of Vikings seems likely with the 3 in 1 longship. I think that would be great if they brought it back.

While another take on Vikings could be cool, I think that's far from a sure thing. 3-in-1 sets don't really have a history of foreshadowing a full theme.

I think I read a interview with creator designers pretty much confirming that creator is the home for old themes such as pirates, castle, etc. 

50 minutes ago, Mr No said:

I think I read a interview with creator designers pretty much confirming that creator is the home for old themes such as pirates, castle, etc. 

You did. LEGO has pretty much come out and said that City is for the 1990s subthemes, like Adventures, Divers, Stunt and whatever. Creator has become where a place for Castle, Pirates, Vikings and hopefully Space.

In the same way that Lego used the codename "Leaf" when they were developing a recent new theme, I saw an article on, I think it may have been Brickfanatics that said Lego are now using the codename "Coconut" for a theme to be launched in October, I think it said.

I hope it's an original in-house theme and not just the rumoured Avatar or Indiana Jones sets

21 hours ago, Killian said:

In the same way that Lego used the codename "Leaf" when they were developing a recent new theme, I saw an article on, I think it may have been Brickfanatics that said Lego are now using the codename "Coconut" for a theme to be launched in October, I think it said.

I hope it's an original in-house theme and not just the rumoured Avatar or Indiana Jones sets

It's most likely Indiana or Avatar 2. I doubt we get any new in house theme this year.

You know, I wouldn't rule out a new in house theme for this year. If toy fair wasn't cancelled perhaps it would have been announced, no idea if we get any but Hidden Side was a total surprise, I don't think we had any leaks about it. So who knows, maybe we do get a new theme this year. 

Though I wonder if Vidiyo was considered both an in house theme and licensed since the only licensing was for the music. 

Do we have any ideas of when we could see another in-house non-licensed theme? I'm trying to remember the exact cycle (other than roughly 3 years each), and I suppose we had Nexo from 2016-2018, Hidden Side from 2019-2020, and now Monkey Kid from 2020-present. Do we have any indication that this may be the last year of Monkey Kid? 

There's an interview floating around where the VP of design says he's been placed in charge of multiple themes for 2023, including Ninjago and Monkie Kid. On the other hand, the Monkie Kid thread mentions that LEGO only commissioned 3 seasons and doesn't want to fund more from that studio. Granted, 2015 Chima was based on 2014's S3, and 2013 Ninjago was based on 2012's "The Final Battle" season.

In-house themes don't really have a cycle - there's Bionicle G1 (2001-2010), some one-offs around the 2010s, Ninjago (2011-2013 originally), Friends (2012-now, though it's not a strongly media-driven action-adventure theme), Legends of Chima (2013-2015 setwise), Elves (2015-2018), Bionicle G2 (2015-2016), Nexo Knights (2016-2018, though 2018 didn't have a season), Hidden Side (2019-2020) and Monkie Kid (2020-now). So it sorta went a 3-year cycle for a bit, and then broke it.

1 hour ago, KingOfLiberation said:

There's an interview floating around where the VP of design says he's been placed in charge of multiple themes for 2023, including Ninjago and Monkie Kid. On the other hand, the Monkie Kid thread mentions that LEGO only commissioned 3 seasons and doesn't want to fund more from that studio. Granted, 2015 Chima was based on 2014's S3, and 2013 Ninjago was based on 2012's "The Final Battle" season.

In-house themes don't really have a cycle - there's Bionicle G1 (2001-2010), some one-offs around the 2010s, Ninjago (2011-2013 originally), Friends (2012-now, though it's not a strongly media-driven action-adventure theme), Legends of Chima (2013-2015 setwise), Elves (2015-2018), Bionicle G2 (2015-2016), Nexo Knights (2016-2018, though 2018 didn't have a season), Hidden Side (2019-2020) and Monkie Kid (2020-now). So it sorta went a 3-year cycle for a bit, and then broke it.

I mean, there is definitely intended to be a roughly 3 year cycle of late for the Big Bang themes (which I was mainly focusing on, though I realize I didn't really clarify that). The main exception is obviously Ninjago, though that was intended to end after the 3rd year but was continued due to backlash. 

The question is whether Monkey Kid will continue beyond that usual cycle (I suppose we'll see how much, if anything, we get in 2023, or if it's just a send-off wave). 

Oops, yeah, the Big Bang themes have sorta been on a 3-year cycle, but then Hidden Side was axed early, so who knows.

Monkie Kid, unlike Chima and Nexo Knights, is meant to appeal to a different audience than most themes (China), so I think there is a better chance that a) Monkie Kid keeps going and b) there's another original media theme running alongside it. 2015-2016 both had 5 original media themes, only two of which were targeted to generally the same audience (Ninjago and Chima/Nexo Knights). Friends and Elves are targeted towards females, and Bionicle is constraction.

We probably won't know what's happening with Monkie Kid until December (unless it doesn't get a summer wave).

Monkie kid is not dead. One of the crew named Sara who does streams has mentioned on stream that further seasons are in development, although I don’t have a recording of that, we have confirmation of 2023 sets being in development, and the previous show runner has mentioned leaving the show in capable hands, which would mean after season 3 as he worked on that season. Plus, season 3 has aired and it DEFINITELY leaves room for further seasons. 

not sure where the rumor of flying bark not being on anymore came from, but ninjago has also changed animation studios before, so it’s not like the show can’t just be moving studios if there is truth to the rumor.

on topic though, I’d guess the next original theme may be a space theme, as there have been a LOT more nods to and merch made from the space series recently.

ill keep buying up monkie kid as long as they keep producing new sets for sure. easily my favorite theme since i got back into lego by a looong shot. 

i dont know if next theme will be a space theme, it kind of feels like theyre making space merch and nods because its classic lego and one of the first things that come to mind when you think of lego icons. 

I wonder if Monkie Kid going off to space increases or decreases the chances of the next original theme being set in space. On the one hand, they might not want the two competing with each other. On the other, this isn't really a "space" wave the same way, say, Ninjago: Master of the Mountain was Castle-esque - there's still quite a few sets under the normal branding that are not space, so they could be trying to gauge interest in OG fictional space. 

1 hour ago, KingOfLiberation said:

I wonder if Monkie Kid going off to space increases or decreases the chances of the next original theme being set in space. On the one hand, they might not want the two competing with each other. On the other, this isn't really a "space" wave the same way, say, Ninjago: Master of the Mountain was Castle-esque - there's still quite a few sets under the normal branding that are not space, so they could be trying to gauge interest in OG fictional space. 

I doubt a couple of space-based sets in another theme would rule out another space set or theme. If it did I'd sooner expect the perennial Space subtheme of City (or the massive elephant in the room that is Star Wars) to pose a bigger barrier than one or two Monkie Kid sets.