Kdapt-Preacher

[MOC] KdaptPreacher's 1:1455 Fleet --- 206 ships and counting (New: Ahsoka's Shuttle, Fondor Haulcraft)

42 minutes ago, natesroom said:

UGH a moncal with all those curves! and its a big ship, about 85% the size of a ISD.

I like the Neutron Look! Dont forget the classic Nebulan B.

The legends version is the real Dreadnaught anyways... played a heavy role in the Thrawn Trilogy

The MC40's not so big--only 600 meters long, the same size as the Neutron Star. But granted that's still a significant project. I'll want to finish the Dreadnaught and Gladiator, at least, before working on either of them. Probably other oddballs, too, like the Battle Dragon or a Ton Falk. But I really ought to get in the habit of finishing the stuff I have in progress before starting new models, anyway...

See, I don't like the Nebulon-B either, though! I made one because it's one of the most iconic ships in the series, but ick. Rebel scum. I'll take my nice Imperial murder triangles any day of the week.

I'm well familiar with the EU version of the Dreadnaught, but I honestly might like the Canon version better? It looks more Imperial. I know the EU version looks like that because it was designed for the Republic, but still. Anyway, the EU appearance is actually also canon again, so right now we have the best of both worlds (or the worst of both worlds, if you're unhappy about having two totally different-looking versions of the same ship, but that's not exactly uncommon with EU stuff). The real benefit of getting the Legends version together, though, is that then I could make Outbound Flight, which would be a really nice display piece.

9 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The MC40's not so big--only 600 meters long, the same size as the Neutron Star.

i was thinking of the MC80

I love the NebulonB...lol 

1000x800.jpg?1662948577.290366

#193-197: GAR land vehicles! Including the AT-TE, AT-AP, AT-OT, SPHA-T, and LAAT/i. If you can tell which is which, I think I'll have done pretty well given the scale. These are largely the same vehicles I showed in this thread a while ago, with the SPHA-T reworked slightly. I wanted to do something slightly different this time by including some terrain instead of just a black stand; I thought that worked out quite well with the land vehicles in my first small vehicles pack, and this seemed like a good opportunity to expand on that and have a bit more of a proper scene here. Being able to display multiple vehicles in context with each other is the whole point of this project, after all. I'm open to the idea of including buildings or locations built to this scale, too--I think that would be interesting to have next to the ships. I started a model of an Imperial prefabricated garrison base a while back; I should finish that at some point. And I also have the 3D model of the Scarif tower used in SW:BF2, which I think would make a nice-looking LEGO build, although that turns out to be like 1300 meters tall, so it would be a little impractical as a desktop model...

Unrelated to that, the current official word is that an SPHA-T is 140 meters long, but that's immediately obviously incompatible with Attack of the Clones; they're nowhere near that big in the movie. The scale reference in Complete Locations puts it in the range of 40-45 meters long, much closer to what's actually shown on screen, so that's what this is scaled to.

1000x800.jpg?1663029149.262794

#198 and 199, Hondo Ohnaka's Acushnet and bonus Flarestar-class attack shuttles! Acushnet was the flagship of Hondo Ohnaka's pirate fleet during the Clone Wars and participated in many of his famous exploits, including the capture of Count Dooku and the attack on the Jedi training cruiser Crucible. Fun fact: this ship was on the Dragon Con Star Wars trivia contest this year and fewer than 5% of respondents were able to correctly pick its name out of four options. I figure that's probably an indication that public interest in this ship may not be as high as I'd thought, but I'm plowing ahead anyway, LMAO.

True to its design in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, this model includes the ship's eight landing legs, and they will indeed support the weight of the model, so it can be displayed in landing mode without a stand. It also includes a compartment built into the center of the ship to store the legs when it's displayed in flight mode.

More images:

Spoiler

1280x720.png

1280x720.png

1280x720.png

This was also good practice for the saucer-hulls of the Battle Dragon, which I intend to build along similar lines.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1000x800.jpg?1663819055.6659608

And here's the update to the Class Four Container Transport with the cargo containers in the new, accurate colors. I also redid the instruction manual to make things more clear, since that was a pretty early one and I wasn't as familiar with making instructions at that point. Should be up to better standards now, in terms of both accuracy and ease of building. That model's still a couple studs longer than it ought to be, just due to architectural constraints with the available wedge plates, but at least now the colors are all correct. And yes, I did duplicate the exact arrangement of cargo containers depicted in Rebels...

The next thing I do is going to be finalizing the major update to the Quasar Fire that I discussed a little ways back in this thread, and then I think that'll have cleared out the backlog of stuff that's designed but not yet published. I have a handful of small freighters done, so I need to come up with probably one more to add to that group before I post them, but I'm not going to do that immediately. The next model I post will be #200 and I want it to be a particularly nice one. I didn't do anything special for model #100, but I like the idea of marking milestones a bit. Haven't decided yet which one it should be.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

On 9/14/2022 at 5:52 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

New render for the OP. I hope this lets you guys see the full resolution of that image--it took long enough to render that you'd better be getting the complete experience!

Oh it's magnificent :sweet:, really captures the scale and scope of this project of yours.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:04 AM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The next model I post will be #200 and I want it to be a particularly nice one. I didn't do anything special for model #100, but I like the idea of marking milestones a bit. Haven't decided yet which one it should be.

Do I hear a goomba saying the word 'Executor'?  

But another suggestion based on recent images would be the scarif shield gate, not a ship per se but I think it would work well as part of this project. 

15 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Do I hear a goomba saying the word 'Executor'?  

But another suggestion based on recent images would be the scarif shield gate, not a ship per se but I think it would work well as part of this project. 

It's funny you should ask that, since I actually do have some progress to report on Executor.
D0DZvJo.png

sZNzO1i.png

But no, it's not going to be the next ship I post. It has months and months (and months and months) of work left. I think I've largely got the math worked out now, and the hull panels are all aligned to nice Pythagorean triples so they're easy to tie into the support skeleton, so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what it's going to look like, but obviously there's a very long way between this and a completed model. This was the hard part from a conceptual standpoint, but now I have to do the hard part from a placing-a-million-pieces standpoint. I do want to do something big for the 200th model, though. It might end up being a Secutor, since I have a model of that in progress that's also pretty well figured out, but I'm not 100% committing to it. I might also get a burst of inspiration to finish the Hammerhead or something.

The Scarif shield gate has been on my radar for a while. I pulled the 3D model of it out of SW:BF2 a while ago, so I have a good reference for it. It's just really big and hasn't floated to the top of the list yet. I believe Profundity is the only ship from the Battle of Scarif that I haven't made yet, so whenever I eventually knock that out I'll obviously have to do the shield gate to finish the set. I think it'll be very difficult to get the shield itself to look decent, though; my only real idea at this point is for it to be a wall of trans-blue panels, but they're very fragile when stacked horizontally like that, so it would take a lot of screwing with.

Could always do the dreadnaught.... Supposedly the Katana Fleet was 200 dreadnaughts slaved together so they vanished as one group... Hmmmm 200 almost like it was foreshadowed....

Edited by natesroom

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

Could always do the dreadnaught.... Supposedly the Katana Fleet was 200 dreadnaughts slaved together so they vanished as one group... Hmmmm 200 almost like it was foreshadowed....

Hmm. That is a compelling argument. I'd been focused on the fact that the Secutor is 2200 meters long, but I'll guess I'll have to think about it.

So, the Cantwell-class just finally showed up in gorgeous live-action in Andor, so it's time to look at updating my MOC now that there are much better references available. It actually stands up much better than I thought it would, but I do have a list of changes that need to be made (I wrote this out mostly as a checklist for myself, but I'm posting it here too in case anybody's interested in the changes between Solo and Andor).
The three notes that I made on the basis of the trailer footage are still mostly true; it needs a turret mounted on the bottom midline near the base of the flange, there are extra antennae and stuff mounted on top of the bridge, and the bottom of the flange is flat rather than angled (although the top is angled as shown on this model). Additionally, there's a pair of small domes inset into the superstructure at the base of the flange on the top side; there's some detailing on the back half of the midline ridge; the midline ridge itself seems to be a bit sharper than I have it here; the command tower is angled forwards, like an ISD, rather than backwards (which is interesting because it's definitely backwards on the studio maquette); the bridge sticks out of the front of the command tower slightly, vaguely similar to an Arquitens-class; there are some bulges on the rear bottom that might represent the side engines protruding through the armor plate a bit, although that area isn't very clearly visible; it does *not* have the dorsal turrets that were present on the studio maquette; and finally the hangar bays seem to extend somewhat further into the ship, although that isn't really visible on the assembled model anyway.
That's a reasonable list of changes, but it's all pretty superficial stuff that's easy to shuffle around on the existing model. My bigger concern was that on the first shot of the ship from the front I thought it looked like the whole hull was verticallly asymmetrical, with the dorsal hull plates sloped more steeply than the ventral ones such that the 'midline' ridge on the main hull was lower than the midline of the flange. Making that happen would mean rebuilding this entire model. But on further viewings I think that it only looks like that because the camera's slightly angled upwards from a little bit below the ship; the diagram of the Cantwell on Luthen's monitor shows the midlines of the flange and main hull lining up, so I think I'm good to go on that front.
So the conclusion after all of this is that yes, I'll be posting a new model, but it's going to look very similar to this one, basically just with some greeblies switched around. I'll probably just add it as an update to this MOC rather than posting it as a new one. I'll leave the existing model available as well, since because this is accurate to the version that was shown in Starships and Speeders it's still fully canonically valid, although I imagine the Andor version will take precedence in future media.
I think I'm going to ignore the 200 models thing. The Secutor is still nowhere close to being finished and I've got other small stuff I'd like to post, so I'm just going to go for it and maybe post the Secutor as #250 or something. Or just ignore the numbers completely; I didn't even start really counting them until #103 or something anyway, so whatever. I'm about to go out of town, so I may not finish the Cantwell changes until after the weekend, but that'll be the next thing I post.

The scale for my request doesnt really work, as it would be to small, but i'd love to see a good Fondor Haulcraft build.

9 hours ago, natesroom said:

The scale for my request doesnt really work, as it would be to small, but i'd love to see a good Fondor Haulcraft build.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I poked at it earlier this week but I'm not super happy with it. There's no official size published yet, and it's hard to get a good sense of scale from the episodes so far. During the battle scene it looked quite a bit larger than the TIE fighters, enough so that I'd maybe put it at 3-4 studs long at this scale, which is workable, but then later in the scene when it flew past the 'wing' of the Cantwell it looked much smaller, more like 1.5-2 studs, which is a much harder sell. If I can go up to 3x3 studs it would look something like the model below, but I suspect that that's too big, and I don't really have a plan to get it down to 2x2.
jub93c9.png

1000x800.jpg?1670471045.7591286

#200, the CSS-1 Corellian Star Shuttle! I decided I needed to just go ahead and post something small rather than waiting to finish the Secutor, since I've been busy IRL for months and don't know when I'm likely to have a lot of time again. I only just recently learned of the existence of that 1x2 half-circle jumper plate and was immediately inspired to make this, which I hadn't previously had a plan for that I was happy with. F air warning, though, this model is a stud longer than it strictly ought to be at this scale. The ideal length would be about seven studs long, and this is just over eight. The issue is those 1x2 curved slope bricks--that section really ought to be three studs long, but those only come in multiples of two. I think the accuracy of shape that they give me here is worth the moderate inaccuracy of scale, so I've gone ahead with it anyway, but it is something I'm aware of.

A very nice little model of one of my favorite prequel era ships.

A nice little model.  Could you not use a 1 x 1 cheese slope and a plate underneath as an approximation of the slope?  You could then cut the length of the model by one stud.  Not sure how you would then to hold it all together though (my only nitpick is that it is not swooshable without the stand as the front section is not attached without it).

3 hours ago, obijon said:

...as the front section is not attached without it).

that's just the escape mode of the cockpit front...

On 12/8/2022 at 4:18 AM, obijon said:

A nice little model.  Could you not use a 1 x 1 cheese slope and a plate underneath as an approximation of the slope?  You could then cut the length of the model by one stud.  Not sure how you would then to hold it all together though (my only nitpick is that it is not swooshable without the stand as the front section is not attached without it).

I thought about a number of ways to approach it, including using cheese slopes like that, but I think it has to be rounded. The entire ship is just one curve, basically, and if that shape's not right it's hardly recognizable. It would let me shorten the model, with some reworking, but I don't think the end result is worth it. I would encourage you to work on it if you have an idea that you think works better, though!

From a stylistic perspective I don't like having the stand be an integral structural part of the model either, and I try to avoid doing that, but it's hard to avoid sometimes. In this case there aren't really any clear views of the bottom of the ship, so you can just switch that one rounded plate from black to red and make it part of the model if you like--it's probably less accurate, but it would make it swooshable. That 1x2 rounded jumper plate is a lovely piece, but it is a bit awkward to connect things to. :P

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

FOMzAoi.jpg
The long-awaited (or at least long-promised!) update to the Quasar Fire has arrived! That took like six months longer than I expected; I finished the structural bits ages ago, but then got an actual job and didn't do the instructions for a while. The main change here is reversing the orientation of the hangar floor such that it presents a smooth outer surface over the entire model, with no exposed antistuds. This is what I always wanted the ship to look like, but this was the first large model I ever designed and I didn't have the technical skill to pull it off at the time. This change makes the stand a little bit more awkward, but the ship itself is both sturdier and easier to build than it was before. The one downside is that the interior of the hangar is now slightly less smooth, and it's no longer easy to connect the optional interior decor (which I've removed, as a result; the parts list is now to build regular TIE racks in all four hangars); but I think that's a minor concern given that the interior of the hangars are hardly visible while the model's assembled anyway, and the 'play value' from the interior furniture was pretty marginal to begin with. However, I have left the original instructions and Stud.io files available on Bricksafe for anyone who had their heart set on seeing the floor gantries. This is now v6 of this model, for anyone counting!

1000x800.jpg?1679865174.7466764

A simple one here: #201, Dr. Aphra's Ark Angel! There isn't much information available about this ship, including its official size, so the scaling here is an estimate (but I'd like to think it's a reasonably good estimate). I also just posted a small update to the existing Imperialis model, an internal change to make it easier to build.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

Great work as always :thumbup::thumbup:

If you want any more suggestions, how about Echo's transport ship from the new bad batch episode, I wookiepedia'd it to get its name that's the only name it gave me. Or how about Gorain Shard's ship? Both quite new ones but I just thought they should be on your radar :laugh: