Kdapt-Preacher

[MOC] KdaptPreacher's 1:1455 Fleet --- 206 ships and counting (New: Ahsoka's Shuttle, Fondor Haulcraft)

10 minutes ago, MAVERICK26 said:

The Victor - wing isn't the one I'm talking about. It's the Specialized LN in Ep3.

Oh, I see--that hasn't gotten its own wiki page yet, so it wasn't listed in the appearances section. Well, a TIE in grey is certainly easy to do, but I'm not sure it'll be recognizable unless there's an appropriately printed tile that has the dark red mark on it. That might be something to include with the Interdictor whenever I get around to that.

Just went through the entire thread, and it was a definite pleasure! Excellent work translating all these obscure ships to a consistent scale!

The Cantwell is officially finished! It's going to take my laptop all night (at least) to render the images and instructions, but it'll be out tomorrow. It's come out to 950 pieces and 70 studs/56 cm long, so this is a proper UCS model. I'm quite pleased with it.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Cantwell is officially finished! It's going to take my laptop all night (at least) to render the images and instructions, but it'll be out tomorrow. It's come out to 950 pieces and 70 studs/56 cm long, so this is a proper UCS model. I'm quite pleased with it.

SHOOOWWWWMEEEEE - soon please. :)

EDIT: I got a sneak peak - its glorious. :)

Edited by Kage Goomba

Wmo9Giq.png

At long last, here we go: #154, the Cantwell-class Arrestor Cruiser! Accompanied by TIE Brutes as #155. 949 pieces, 70 studs/56 cm long.

For folks not already familiar with this ship, the Cantwell-class is a bit of an odd niche ship in-universe: it's a dedicated tractor beam ship, used to physically hold enemy ships in place so they can be destroyed or boarded. They typically operate in concert with Interdictors, preventing their targets from fleeing in realspace to get away from the Interdictor's gravity wells. The Cantwell-class was created for Solo: A Star Wars Story, but most of its scenes were cut from the movie. It does still appear, but you'd be forgiven for not noticing it: it's in the Imperial Navy propaganda hologram in the Coronet City spaceport. Better views of the ship are shown in the movie's deleted scenes (which are still canon, incidentally; Han Solo served on one of these during his brief stint as an Imperial pilot).

For those who are already familiar with it and are curious about this specific design, ILM made two slightly different models of this ship: a physical plastic studio maquette and a higher-res CGI model. The CGI model is what was used in the movie, so that's the canon version, but almost all the clear reference images (including all of the merchandising for Solo) are of the physical model. The main differences, as far as I can see from the blurry shots in the movie and the one painting in Starships and Speeders (which itself isn't totally consistent with the movie) are that the canon model has an extended ridge along the midline of the ship, rods extending from the tractor beam emitters, and a slightly different array of antennae on top of the command tower. This model is based on the canon version (of course), so that's why it looks a bit different from, for example, the Hot Wheels model that came out shortly before Solo did. The size of the ship hasn't been officially published, but the Art of Solo book includes a shot of the Millennium Falcon sitting in the hangar of the plastic model that establishes a scale of just over 800 meters, which agrees with estimates based on visual scaling from the deleted scenes.

I'm putting the rest of the images in a spoiler, but you can also see them all on Imgur here.

Spoiler

C7p2jm2.png

s9RE0tG.png

OXJSZc9.png

GOqkXL1.png

ZBOTNJw.png

f2Fe6fi.jpg

HBjETca.png

IpANI9j.png

bNFYGeu.png

E0ayzRc.png

ukDlwxE.png

9BZiBnt.png

mwsvEg8.jpg

CzY7PZJ.png

What I really ought to do is make another render of all the ships together, since the one in the OP is way out of date, but just arranging them all in a neat rectangle is a nontrivial problem at this point. I need, like, an automated Tetris solving program, or the software they use to fit shapes onto a piece of material for efficient laser cutting.

CzY7PZJ.png

What I really ought to do is make another render of all the ships together, since the one in the OP is way out of date, but just arranging them all in a neat rectangle is a nontrivial problem at this point. I need, like, an automated Tetris solving program, or the software they use to fit shapes onto a piece of material for efficient laser cutting.

I know your pain - as you've been watching me work on the Otana - I suspect there is plenty of room for improvements on the program. Like the bug where you copy/mirror anything with hinges and the hinge parts are inverted which breaks everything. Yeaaaaah.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Wmo9Giq.png

At long last, here we go: #154, the Cantwell-class Arrestor Cruiser! Accompanied by TIE Brutes as #155. 949 pieces, 70 studs/56 cm long.

For folks not already familiar with this ship, the Cantwell-class is a bit of an odd niche ship in-universe: it's a dedicated tractor beam ship, used to physically hold enemy ships in place so they can be destroyed or boarded. They typically operate in concert with Interdictors, preventing their targets from fleeing in realspace to get away from the Interdictor's gravity wells. The Cantwell-class was created for Solo: A Star Wars Story, but most of its scenes were cut from the movie. It does still appear, but you'd be forgiven for not noticing it: it's in the Imperial Navy propaganda hologram in the Coronet City spaceport. Better views of the ship are shown in the movie's deleted scenes (which are still canon, incidentally; Han Solo served on one of these during his brief stint as an Imperial pilot).

For those who are already familiar with it and are curious about this specific design, ILM made two slightly different models of this ship: a physical plastic studio maquette and a higher-res CGI model. The CGI model is what was used in the movie, so that's the canon version, but almost all the clear reference images (including all of the merchandising for Solo) are of the physical model. The main differences, as far as I can see from the blurry shots in the movie and the one painting in Starships and Speeders (which itself isn't totally consistent with the movie) are that the canon model has an extended ridge along the midline of the ship, rods extending from the tractor beam emitters, and a slightly different array of antennae on top of the command tower. This model is based on the canon version (of course), so that's why it looks a bit different from, for example, the Hot Wheels model that came out shortly before Solo did. The size of the ship hasn't been officially published, but the Art of Solo book includes a shot of the Millennium Falcon sitting in the hangar of the plastic model that establishes a scale of just over 800 meters, which agrees with estimates based on visual scaling from the deleted scenes.

I'm putting the rest of the images in a spoiler, but you can also see them all on Imgur here.

Reveal hidden contents

C7p2jm2.png

s9RE0tG.png

OXJSZc9.png

GOqkXL1.png

ZBOTNJw.png

f2Fe6fi.jpg

HBjETca.png

IpANI9j.png

bNFYGeu.png

E0ayzRc.png

ukDlwxE.png

9BZiBnt.png

mwsvEg8.jpg

Awesome job!  I think there is a little more history behind this design though as it was an early concept for a Star Destroyer by Colin Cantwell.  

5 hours ago, mink66 said:

Awesome job!  I think there is a little more history behind this design though as it was an early concept for a Star Destroyer by Colin Cantwell. 

Yeah, that's why it's called the Cantwell-class. And Colin Cantwell himself is actually a member of a Star Wars LEGO Facebook group that I'm in, so I tagged him when I posted it there. I figured he might get a kick out of it.

9lcmru7.png

There's the current render of all 155 ships. That's actually already not complete, since it doesn't include the Windfall or some other small things I haven't posted yet, but it'll do for the moment. :wink:

1000x800.jpg?1641868114.39636561000x800.jpg?1641868148.5354838

#156-158, Pelta-class frigates! Including both the Republic Navy versions from TCW as well as Phoenix Home from Rebels. I've been thinking about how I would approach the Pelta-class for quite a while, and I'm pleased with how they've turned out. That 3x3x2 cone piece is perfect; if that exact piece didn't already exist it would be essentially impossible to make the front of the ship look good at this scale. Unfortunately there's no real way to get the details of the bridge on there without doing what LEGO did and just printing them onto a large curved piece. Also, I generally don't care much for stickers on sets, but if you want to add the Republic emblem where it belongs on the medical frigate, there have been at least four sets with 2x2 stickers of that emblem that would be perfect for it.

2 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

Love how you got the "Ghost" docked - very nice design.

Thank you! Having all the models interact well like that is very important to me. That's why I also made sure the Ghost could fit in the Quasar Fire's hangar, the Gozanti can carry AT-ATs and TIEs, the Customs Corvette can hold the Ghtroc 720 between its mandibles, and so on. That's most of the fun of having lots of ships all to scale, IMO.

GENE0yh.jpgwIo0Stf.jpg

Nice tight-fitting hull--that's generally the hardest part of a Star Destroyer-type ship. I've learned some lessons from the Cantwell here, I think. That shape worked well, but attaching the top plates makes it a difficult build, more so than is probably necessary. For this one my plan is to have the bottom hull attached with hinge bricks, as is show here (like the Cantwell), but to have the top plates drop on the way the ones on the larger ISD builds often do. We'll see how that works out in practice, but right now that's where I'm headed with it. I'm building this primarily as the Immobilizer 418, but obviously I'll have the Vindicator too. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any official images of the Enforcer, other than one that's clearly just a reused image of an Immobilizer and can't really be right.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1000x800.jpg?1642218582.2491214
#159-162: First Order shuttles! Including the Upsilon-class, Xi-class, AAL, and TIE Echelon. I haven't made many ships from the Sequel Trilogy, in large part because I didn't love the movies and would prefer to pretend the EU was still canon, but I do like the First Order aesthetic (enough so that I'm in the 501st as an FOTK). As I noted on the Rebrickable page, the officially published size for the Xi-class shuttle is 11.84 meters long, which is tiny, barely half the size of a Lambda or similar shuttle designs. However, I'm not convinced that that agrees with what's actually shown in TLJ: comparing the width of the cockpit relative to Finn and Rose gives me the impression that the real length is around 50% larger than that. As such, I think I'm justified in building it along the same lines as I've done the Lambda and other shuttles.

Incidentally, with the Upsilon-class, I now have models of ships that start with every letter of the alphabet except O, so clearly I need to complete the set. I'm open to ideas as to what to make to do that. The Onager-class is already on my list of stuff to eventually build, but that would be by far the biggest model I've made so far, pushing towards the size of the UCS ISD, and I wouldn't expect to finish it for at least a couple of months.

6 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Incidentally, with the Upsilon-class, I now have models of ships that start with every letter of the alphabet except O, so clearly I need to complete the set. I'm open to ideas as to what to make to do that. The Onager-class is already on my list of stuff to eventually build, but that would be by far the biggest model I've made so far, pushing towards the size of the UCS ISD, and I wouldn't expect to finish it for at least a couple of months.

I think the Bad Batch's shuttle is an Omicron-class shuttle, right? Or would that be too small at this scale?

12 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I think the Bad Batch's shuttle is an Omicron-class shuttle, right? Or would that be too small at this scale?

Huh. You're right, I'd forgotten about that. Not only is it not too small, I've actually already made it. Well, that's a bit anticlimactic. I guess I should've done something celebratory with the Upsilon...

Alright, looking for opinions here. I'd like to make the X-70B Phantom-class prototype from SW:TOR, but I haven't actually played the game and I'm having a hard time getting a sense of what the ship really looks like from the images I've found of it. For folks who're more familiar with the ship, how recognizable is this? It seems like it's a different color in every picture; does the dark grey work?

a1WyfK4.png

I knew what this even before reading the post, so it reads really well to me and I didn't even play the class that uses it. It's been a while since I've played TOR, but my recollection is that it's fairly metallic, and so light and environment can really mix it up in screenshots.

I think the dark gray works well, though I believe light gray with dark gray accents would technically be closer to the model.

Edited by Geihlen

Alright, looking for opinions here. I'd like to make the X-70B Phantom-class prototype from SW:TOR, but I haven't actually played the game and I'm having a hard time getting a sense of what the ship really looks like from the images I've found of it. For folks who're more familiar with the ship, how recognizable is this? It seems like it's a different color in every picture; does the dark grey work?

a1WyfK4.png

Looks good to me Kdapt - as I've played the game - pretty damn close.

1000x800.jpg?1642366402.3844554

Whoops, got the wings on the Xi-class wrong. Somehow I had them pointed down like a Lambda, despite the fact that I was looking directly at the reference images that clearly show them pointing upwards. Very embarrassing. No changes to the parts list to fix it; just shuffling stuff around.

KMEhta8.jpg

These are both still WIP, but probably pretty close to what they're gonna look like (so for folks who've played TOR, now's your chance to tell me if there's something I need to work on!). I have to wait a bit to publish the Phantom because I'm using the new part #80796 Brick 1x2x5/3 with Four Studs on Two Sides, which was just introduced this year and hasn't been added to Stud.io yet. It's also currently only available in transparent orange, which is OK because it's an interior part here, but I'll swap that out for grey whenever it becomes available. The info about the sizes of these ships is a bit confusing, since the lengths and widths often seem to be switched (it looks like they're defining 'length' as whichever axis of the ship is longest, even when that isn't front-to-back), and I can't tell whether the size of the Thunderclap is supposed to be with the wings open or closed (which makes a big difference). I'm assuming that that's the size of the ship in landing position (ie, the size of the main hull), since that makes it about the same size as the other TOR player ships, but it's certainly possible that that's an error on my part.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher