Kdapt-Preacher

[MOC] KdaptPreacher's 1:1455 Fleet --- 206 ships and counting (New: Ahsoka's Shuttle, Fondor Haulcraft)

On 7/12/2021 at 7:47 AM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Now the question--and this is very important to me--is, do I count this as one ship or sixteen? I tend to think 16, since I already have multiple the color-swapped versions of the CR90s and PLY-3000s, but it does seem a bit different when they're literally the same ship.

a hard question actually. First point is that you used also grilled tiles instead of normal tiles, this makes already two different versions.
I would take them all as different versions as the colors are different with a reasoning behind and other differences in the ships are lost with the scale...But in the end it is your decision.

If I think of other small builds with different colors to represent different themes this would justify the 16. 

Nice new builds btw and two more ships I don't know, easy to explain since I don't play and know the games.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:47 AM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Let it never be said that I did something halfway! Some of the skins work out better than others (the ones that're mostly metallic in-game are hard, especially since the 1x1 bracket doesn't exist in dark grey), but overall I'm quite pleased with them.

Now the question--and this is very important to me--is, do I count this as one ship or sixteen? I tend to think 16, since I already have multiple the color-swapped versions of the CR90s and PLY-3000s, but it does seem a bit different when they're literally the same ship.

These are great! It's nice to see the mantis at this scale, I just tried it at a larger scale and recoloring is a pain.

I'd go with one, hear me out:

The mantis has only been seen once. As a unique vessel, I think all the paint jobs are meant to be different versions of the same ship. Your corvettes, though, definately count as multiple, as there are multiple of those in-canon.

11 hours ago, Mr Ogel said:

a hard question actually. First point is that you used also grilled tiles instead of normal tiles, this makes already two different versions.
I would take them all as different versions as the colors are different with a reasoning behind and other differences in the ships are lost with the scale...But in the end it is your decision.

If I think of other small builds with different colors to represent different themes this would justify the 16. 

Nice new builds btw and two more ships I don't know, easy to explain since I don't play and know the games.

56 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

These are great! It's nice to see the mantis at this scale, I just tried it at a larger scale and recoloring is a pain.

I'd go with one, hear me out:

The mantis has only been seen once. As a unique vessel, I think all the paint jobs are meant to be different versions of the same ship. Your corvettes, though, definately count as multiple, as there are multiple of those in-canon.

These are all valid points. It occurred to me that Jango and Boba's versions of the Slave I are the closest analog to the Mantis, since those are also a single ship in different colors, and I'm already counting those separately. I think the way to look at it is that these are different models, even though they're of the same ship at different points. The Corvus is another one to bring up here, since that's also one ship, but it was rebuilt so significantly that the Imperial and Rebel versions only have about half their pieces in common, so those clearly deserve two numbers. Plus, it's not like this is a competition or anything--given that there are absolutely zero consequences to how I count it, I might as well use the bigger number. :tongue:

1000x800.jpg?1626245932.8710244

Number 128, the IPV-2C Stealth Corvette! This has been submitted to Rebrickable already, but the admins have to approve it before it's public, so that link may not work until a few hours after this post. I also posted a photo of the ship in stealth mode, which is (naturally) an empty stand, but I don't think I'll count that version separately...

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

2 hours ago, Mr Ogel said:

another nice example of the NHOSAS class*

*Never Heard Of Such A Ship

Ah yes, the NHOSAS-type BISADGB*-class of ship.

*But It's Still A Damn Good Build. :wink:

Just had another idea - how about either Starlight Beacon from the High Republic, or the New Republic capital ship in Squadrons and the Aftermath trilogy? I think they're called Starhawks?

I should stop backseat building and have a go myself really :laugh:

7 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Just had another idea - how about either Starlight Beacon from the High Republic, or the New Republic capital ship in Squadrons and the Aftermath trilogy? I think they're called Starhawks?

I should stop backseat building and have a go myself really :laugh:

A Starhawk would be lovely, since I think the shape would lend itself well to LEGO, but they're bigger than a Star Destroyer! The model would be more than five feet long at this scale. That's not completely out of the question--it would be possible to build--but I need to work up to that a bit first, LMAO. And it's not like a Star Destroyer where the models are basically hollow; it'd need a lot of technic framing on the inside to achieve that shape, so it'd be a lot more pieces than, say, an Allegiance-class battlecruiser, which is almost the same length.

As far as I know they haven't published size info for any of the High Republic-era stuff. The Starlight Beacon itself might also be too big to fit on my table at this scale, but the Legacy Run, Longbeams, the Emmisary- and Salvation-class, etc. are probably in the medium-size range that would work well; but since none of the actual numbers are available, there's not much I can do with them. I haven't seen any good perspective shots of them that would let me work out the relative sizes. I would like to make them, so hopefully they'll show up in The Acolyte, whenever that comes out, so we can get some better references.

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

A Starhawk would be lovely, since I think the shape would lend itself well to LEGO, but they're bigger than a Star Destroyer! The model would be more than five feet long at this scale. That's not completely out of the question--it would be possible to build--but I need to work up to that a bit first, LMAO. And it's not like a Star Destroyer where the models are basically hollow; it'd need a lot of technic framing on the inside to achieve that shape, so it'd be a lot more pieces than, say, an Allegiance-class battlecruiser, which is almost the same length.

Is it really?! Damn! Admittedly I've only seen a few bits of gameplay from Squadrons, and that was a while ago, but for some reason I didn't pick up on the size from the books. I guess it makes sense with the tractor beam thing though.

7 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Is it really?! Damn! Admittedly I've only seen a few bits of gameplay from Squadrons, and that was a while ago, but for some reason I didn't pick up on the size from the books. I guess it makes sense with the tractor beam thing though.

If you can get your hands on a VR headset, Squadrons is absolutely worth it. It definitely helps you get a sense of the size of all of these ships, and you'll get your fill of the Starhawk! I think I've built every ship from the game except that and the Mon Cala capital ships.

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Yeah, it's the NR version of a star destroyer, meant to go toe-to-toe with them.

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

If you can get your hands on a VR headset, Squadrons is absolutely worth it. It definitely helps you get a sense of the size of all of these ships, and you'll get your fill of the Starhawk! I think I've built every ship from the game except that and the Mon Cala capital ships.

And if you can't get your hands on a VR headset, squadrons is a pretty poor game for the Xbox, speaking from experience. 

I like the new additions, especially that chonky mobquet

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And if you can't get your hands on a VR headset, squadrons is a pretty poor game for the Xbox, speaking from experience.

I've only played it in VR, but that aligns with my impression. The point of the game is the experience of flying an X-wing from inside the cockpit, and it executes that very well, and it's awesome! But if you aren't getting that, then there isn't much of a draw.

1000x800.jpg?1626834780.0250008

#130, the Xizor Transport Systems container transport! Another old one from the X-Wing series that I always liked the shape of. 17 studs long, 278 pieces counting the stand. I need to do another full fleet render at some point, but that means rearranging them all to fit the 16x9 aspect ratio, which takes forever at this point.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1000x800.jpg?1627191154.0417452

An update to the Quasar Fire, to connect the slopes on the sides of the ship via bricks w/ studs on the side rather than brackets so that the sides are closer to being one smooth slope. It's a small change structurally, but I think it's a pretty significant improvement to the look of the ship.

Looks good, I really like the smoothness of the ship and the way the fighters connect to the hangar is genius

have you thought of doing an Imperial dreadnought cruiser from rebels

DXFPdowXUAEzzGQ.jpg

Edited by Stuartn

10 hours ago, Stuartn said:

have you thought of doing an Imperial dreadnought cruiser from rebels

In fact, I'm already working on that model. :wink: It's taking a while because the ship has a lot of somewhat awkward angles, but I think it's going to look really good when it's finished!

750x499p.png

#131, the Imperial Customs Corvette! Despite the concerns of the people messaging me on Rebrickable, I am neither dead nor done making ships. Another old Expanded Universe ship that doesn't get much love these days, this Imperial Customs Corvette has 132 pieces and is about 16 studs long. This ship is built along similar lines to the Raider-class corvette, with the thin sloped hull, so I've used the same ball joint method to attach the wings, and I'm quite pleased with the result.

5 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Despite the concerns of the people messaging me on Rebrickable, I am neither dead nor done making ships. 

Good to hear - we all missed you...

Always nice to see how a small pile of bricks makes up a proper spaceship. But if you link to the wiki and let us check the exisiting pictures where is the Class 720  freighter? And two more ships I never heard of before.

13 minutes ago, Mr Ogel said:

But if you link to the wiki and let us check the exisiting pictures where is the Class 720  freighter? And two more ships I never heard of before.

I just knew somebody was gonna ask me that, so yes, in fact, I have already made it. yuOGpaW.png

That's too small to reasonably post on its own, though, so I need to come up with two or three more little freighters to go with it.

1280x720.png

#132-137, Kom'rk-class fighter/transports! At long last, we're back to ships that people are likely to recognize. Specifically, these are, from back to front and left to right: the standard Death Watch version, Bo-Katan's ship as of The Mando, the Splendour, Bo-Katan's ship as of TCW, Pre Vizsla's Gauntlet, and the Nightbrother. The difference in sizes between the two rows of models is probably a mistake on the part of Mr. Landry Q. Walker, author of the Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles, which has dozens of such errors and is maybe the worst Star Wars reference book ever published, but right now the situation in canon is that there are two almost identical but differently sized variants of this ship, so that's what we've got here. These things happen.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1000x800.jpg?1636489997.041717

#138 and 139, Marauder-class corvettes! Covering both the standard Corporate Sector Authority version with the turbolasers and the Rebel Alliance missile cruiser variant from Empire at War. These are nostalgic, and they fill a role that the Rebel fleet in current canon largely lacks, but they're also kinda silly-looking, IMO. They're part of a whole group of old EU ships that were obviously designed to be starfighter- or shuttle-sized and then got scaled up to be hundreds of meters long and end up not making a lot of sense. The hundred-meter cannons here aren't nearly as bad as the ten-story windshield on the Carrack, though, so they could definitely be worse!

33 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

1000x800.jpg?1636489997.041717

#138 and 139, Marauder-class corvettes! Covering both the standard Corporate Sector Authority version with the turbolasers and the Rebel Alliance missile cruiser variant from Empire at War. These are nostalgic, and they fill a role that the Rebel fleet in current canon largely lacks, but they're also kinda silly-looking, IMO. They're part of a whole group of old EU ships that were obviously designed to be starfighter- or shuttle-sized and then got scaled up to be hundreds of meters long and end up not making a lot of sense. The hundred-meter cannons here aren't nearly as bad as the ten-story windshield on the Carrack, though, so they could definitely be worse!

Another legends ship I had no idea existed... But the design does look a lot more Star Trek that Star Wars to me. Perhaps these are better off staying in legends. :laugh: