Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] Get excited for 40515 "Pirates & Treasure" VIP Value Add-On pack!

nothing so far, probably won’t happen since we are two months out before the end of the year and we would had found out by now!

It's on brickset now and you can click parts to see what it contains: https://brickset.com/sets/40515-1/Pirates-and-Treasure-VIP-Add-On-Pack

However I don't need any more skeletons or captain hats. I wish it could have contained something more useful. Skeletons are already in abundance and there can be only one captain so why would you need more than one hat?

Anchors and ship wheels are also far to common already.

Edited by Captain_SoyBeard

On 1/9/2022 at 2:05 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Yes.

So what was the original message sent to LEGO Customer Service?

50 minutes ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

However I don't need any more skeletons or captain hats. I wish it could have contained something more useful. Skeletons are already in abundance and there can be only one captain so why would you need more than one hat?

So what would you like to see in a LEGO Pirates part pack?

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Not OP, but some chrome gold coins!

18 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

Not OP, but some chrome gold coins!

Ah, some good old chrome vacuum metal gold coins!

According to Bricklink the parts pack has a "Warm Gold" cup, frog and cock... I mean chicken!

As well as, a "Gold Ink" ingot.

But that's not really the same, is it?

14 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Ah, some good old chrome vacuum metal gold coins!

According to Bricklink the parts pack has a "Warm Gold" cup, frog and cock... I mean chicken!

As well as, a "Gold Ink" ingot.

But that's not really the same, is it?

As I understand "Gold Ink" is the same as Bricklinks "Chrome Gold" so it's nice to get some shiny, shiny ingots. But it's strange because the chrome gold ingots usually come in a pack together with four gold coins: https://brickset.com/parts/6052266/coins-no-1100

5 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

I second this sentiment, when the news of this pack dropped I got excited but now looking at all those pieces, it's quite disappointing.

30 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

As I understand "Gold Ink" is the same as Bricklinks "Chrome Gold" so it's nice to get some shiny, shiny ingots.

But that's still not the same as the traditional gold coins?

I.e.

image.png

4 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

But that's still not the same as the traditional gold coins?

I.e.

image.png

It's the same colour, but without the center sprue, and different values. They're usually in a bag together with one ingot like this:

18342.jpg

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So what was the original message sent to LEGO Customer Service?

I just asked them when are they going to launch the 40515 Pirates & Treasure VIP Value Add-On pack.

Gold Ink are the laquered gold pieces seen in monkie kid and such now (4 ingots in 30562: Monkie Kid's Underwater Journey) not exactly chrome but matte paint.

32 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Gold Ink are the laquered gold pieces seen in monkie kid and such now (4 ingots in 30562: Monkie Kid's Underwater Journey) not exactly chrome but matte paint.

What Brickset calls "Gold Ink" seems to be used for both Bricklinks "Chrome Gold" and "Metallic Gold" in some cases. The coin bag above is only available in Bricklinks "Chrome Gold", but is registered as being "Gold Ink" by Brickset. I have never seen metallic gold/gold ink coins, only pearl gold/warm gold as an alternative.

Brickset does have an equivalent for "Chrome Gold": "Metalized Gold" (just to make thing more confusing), but it's not used for the ingots as I can see even though there are sets that contains chrome gold ingots.

That being said it's more logical that the ingots are (Bricklinks) metallic gold since that it what we have been getting lately.

19 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

What Brickset calls "Gold Ink" seems to be used for both Bricklinks "Chrome Gold" and "Metallic Gold" in some cases. The coin bag above is only available in Bricklinks "Chrome Gold", but is registered as being "Gold Ink" by Brickset. I have never seen metallic gold/gold ink coins, only pearl gold/warm gold as an alternative.

Brickset does have an equivalent for "Chrome Gold": "Metalized Gold" (just to make thing more confusing), but it's not used for the ingots as I can see even though there are sets that contains chrome gold ingots.

That being said it's more logical that the ingots are (Bricklinks) metallic gold since that it what we have been getting lately.

Yeah. Another clue that these are not chromed is that the chrome gold ingots (when they were produced) were part of a standardized "pre-pack" including coins—likely indicating that they were produced together and immediately packaged, not unlike how chrome coins in the past would come on a connected "sprue" that you had to remove them from. When that pre-pack went away, so too did the chrome gold ingots.

To be honest I tend to prefer the lacquered gold anyway. So many of the chrome on chrome gold parts from my childhood has flaked off or scratched, leaving ugly scars. And even when chrome parts are new, their reflectiveness can almost be an eyesore—it has a polished, mirrored appearance that is unrealistic for something as utilitarian as an ingot of processed metal (which is stored for its value as a raw material, rather than looks). The more matte look of the lacquered gold parts still looks more like actual metal than "pearl" metallic colors, while being far less gaudy and reflective than chromed parts.

Edited by Lyichir

37 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The more matte look of the lacquered gold parts still looks more like actual metal than "pearl" metallic colors, while being far less gaudy and reflective than chromed parts.

Agreed I love the "painted" color, especially on tiles and such because it's consistent across the whole part.

I had the old chrome from the 90s and some of my big swords from Royal/Fright Knight have flaked.

2018 Nexo Knights had a lot of pearl gold in 2 variations of color, LEGO was in process of changing their pearl gold formula a bit , most parts are fine, but some of the tiles, especially 1x2, the older pearl gold have mould shape marks (like a V shape on tiles) and on the older pearl gold while shinier and less orange, the markings are more noticable and darker compared to the same tiles from 2019.

Overall I don't mind the newer pearl gold, but I like the addition of the Gold Ink/Metallic Gold in recent times, especially on tiles.

Edited by TeriXeri

14 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

It's the same colour, but without the center sprue, and different values. They're usually in a bag together with one ingot like this:

18342.jpg

Thanks for the clarification! :pir-thumb:

But excuse my ignorance, how are the above coins and ingot acquired?

14 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Thanks for the clarification! :pir-thumb:

But excuse my ignorance, how are the above coins and ingot acquired?

They were included in these sets.

You can also buy them on Bricklink.

ETA: It's really strange that these seems to have been in production during the 2015 wave of Pirates, but were not included in any sets from that wave. But Lego didn't put that much effort into that wave anyhow...

Edited by Jiesdeo

9 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

They were included in these sets.

Thanks for that!

So they have appeared in two pirate sets released 2013-2015.

image.png

image.png

9 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

ETA: It's really strange that these seems to have been in production during the 2015 wave of Pirates

Perhaps their production pre-dates the 2015 wave by a few months...

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Perhaps their production pre-dates the 2015 wave by a few months...

Yeah perhaps. Bricklink says "Years released: 2010 - 2019", but it's hard for us to know exactly when and how it was available.

It doesn't surprise me though, since Lego seemed to cheap out on that wave a lot. I remember as a kid, the gold coins were one of the big appeals with Pirates for me personally. Among a lot of other things of course.

I really wish Lego would produce more coins like those (or the original ones), those ingots they used in PoBB for example don't do the job for me personally

6 hours ago, zinnn said:

I really wish Lego would produce more coins like those (or the original ones), those ingots they used in PoBB for example don't do the job for me personally

Yeah same for me. And in the 2015 wave they used gems/jewels, but it's not Pirates for me without some doubloons.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mister Phes said:

I dunno, but things that would complement sets that you already have and allow for more extensive builds. If they put equipment in there I would prefer more commonly used items like rifles, tricorne hats and stuff that could be of more use.

I don't like that they put unique items in there since there's no need for that. If you have a ship set then you probably already have a wheel, an anchor and a captains hat. Having more of those adds nothing whereas another rifle could at least be of some use.

Oh! Cannons are good!

Edited by Captain_SoyBeard

At this rate a pirate pack would require a pirate ship set to go with it and so far nothing has been announced for this year, nothing as of yet dammit. This sucks.