Sign in to follow this  
Darkdragon

Minecraft Mafia: Day 3 - The Abandoned Mine

51190806827_3deb1afdb7_o.png 
This thread is for Players Only. 

As you venture deeper under the tiny island, you are greeted by many monsters, lava, and even some interesting looking minerals.

Now come along folks, no time to mine here. We must get to the portal.

51289403450_3c95536820_n.jpg

I did see a disturbing sight last night. Our fellow traveler stumbled, or something, and tumbled right into some lava.

51297951264_f4282865e6.jpg

There was nothing I could to help when I saw Hal fall into the lava. Reaching for him would have surely doomed us all so I just stood there watching helplessly. A map popped out of his pocket just before he went under the lava, proving he was a Gate Seeker.

51296494537_b858bfc5e8.jpg

Luckily we are nearly out of this wretched cave. We've made it to an abandoned mine and the next stop will be the surface where you'll head toward your final destination. You might want to try and figure out who the Gate Protectors are or you'll never get to that treasure.

51297951219_9e248ae180.jpg

Adventurers

51273189119_90c012acb0_t.jpg Kai (Dragonator)

51273188854_b4223c3d12_t.jpg Hex (Kaanere)

51271712392_7db7eb1391_t.jpg Adriene (Tariq J)

51272460606_97014f64fa_t.jpg Valorie (Shadows)

51273188864_21c9365b61_t.jpg Steve (Bob)

Dead

51272460576_e9827a7d50_t.jpg Alex (Duvors)

51271712572_437ac4dd55_t.jpg Hal (KotZ)

The Rules

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the Gate Seekers (Town) or the Gate Protectors (Scum). To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Scum, while the Scum needs to outnumber the Town. Third-party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.
  2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player.  Voting is mandatory. Voting should be done in the following format; 
    Vote: Character (Player) 
    Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; 
    Unvote: Character (Player) 
    Yes, bold. No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player. Failure to vote will incur a 2-vote penalty the following game day.
  3. A game day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end after 72 hours. After the day has been concluded, a night stage will commence, which will last 48 hours. Night actions must be sent to the host in the first 24 hours of the night stage.
  4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the night, will be revealed at the beginning of the next day.
  5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to or from you in PM with the game host, or in PM with any other players. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.
  6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game.
  7. There are no hints or clues in the day/night images.
  8. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on. Violation of this rule will have out-of-game consequences.
  9. You may not edit your posts.
  10. You must post in every day thread. 
  11. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM.
  12. Violation of any of the above rules may result in a 2 vote penalty for the first offence, and death on your second offence.
  13. There are no hints or clues in the day/night images.
  14. Don't comment about the dog hair all over the builds, it's not a hint, just a fact of life.

Tried to investigate Hal last night but was unsuccessful, presumably because Hal is now dead.

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Tried to investigate Hal last night but was unsuccessful, presumably because Hal is now dead.

I assumed he was town and thought most of us did, just confused in some way. I sincerely hoped you would investigate me, it could have cleared me, assuming I wasn't framed twice in a row (not sure how that usually works). It wouldn't have told us if it was his sanity or a framer who caused the weird result on me, but it would have helped. I'm still leaning towards framer and bet they're not going to give up trying to get a double kill out of this, so I fully expect more votes today.

I will say that I'm certain that if there actually was another faction in this party, we'd see more than one kill per night. Why wouldn't every evil group kill nightly?

With 5 people remaining and only 1 claiming any role at all, there has to be someone who knows something or has the means to help. Please do, these numbers are only getting worse.

Next post (might merge automatically): Well, this is an interesting twist, I was just notified that I found something. I'm not going to say what it is or what it does. I wasn't expecting this kind of thing to be included in our adventure, but it is welcome and could actually prove useful to us. I expect others will have similar experiences, or already have, so I am right when I say that I think people could know something or have the means to help.

(it didn't merge, I was too busy reading and rereading the message attached to the item)

11 hours ago, Shadows said:

I sincerely hoped you would investigate me, it could have cleared me, assuming I wasn't framed twice in a row

That might've been a good idea, but if I verified Hal it would have validated his story a bit. Plus I probably would have gotten a "Not Mafia" result on you if you were indeed a werewolf third party or whatever, which would have defeated the purpose. I don't know what win conditions werewolves have in this game, but I'm more inclined to believe now that Valorie might actually be one. I don't see any reason why Hal would have lied since he's town nor do I believe that the scum would frame people as werewolves instead of as their own faction. Especially considering there's a Seer in the game whose job seems to be finding said werewolf. I mean, maybe it would add extra confusion. 

I'm curious as to why the scum (presumably) killed Hal and not me. It seems to me that Hal completed his task of finding a werewolf and now had a pretty much useless role. There's several crazy theories that I have though:

1) The scum knew of the existence of a werewolf from the start of the game, but that doesn't necessarily explain why they'd kill Hal. 

2) The scum can only kill on every other night and maybe on the night the scum can't kill, the werewolf can. I think that Hal likely would have tried to seer Valorie again last night to confirm that the result wasn't tampered with by framing, so Valorie killed Hal so this couldn't happen. Maybe the werewolf just gets a one-shot. 

3) The scum have a role called "werewolf", but I don't know exactly if this is the type of role that scum would have nor do I understand why the town would have a special role to find the scum when I could do the same as an investigator.

4) Valorie was actually framed and Hal got lucky targeting her, so the scum killed off Hal in order to prevent a different result coming back.

The rules say very clearly that we need to kill the scum and that the scum are identified as Gate Protectors. It also brings up third parties, but that's boiler plate for every game even when there aren't any so we can't rely off that. The rules do not say we need to kill of third parties which means if Valorie is a third party she could technically win with us, unless her role is that she needs to kill everyone. Where is everyone else? It's only Day Three but it seems like it's do or die day today. Maybe I shouldn't have tied it up yesterday. Or maybe it was a good idea because then there'd be four of us today and we could've been outnumbered. Right now if there's two scum and Valorie is a neutral, it's 2-2-1. Of this, I know the following about the players:

Steve: Town investigator
Hex: Not Mafia
Valorie: "Werewolf" (?)
and I know nothing about Kai or Adriene.

Not a good start to the day.

Yesterday, I was informed by the host that I had spotted a barrel floating in the water and was asked what I wanted to do with it (but I was not allowed to confer with anyone about it). I chose to pick it up and open it up to see if there was anything useful inside. I was given a shield which meant I was able to block or protect a player. Last night I chose to block Shadows and I was successful. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I don't know what win conditions werewolves have in this game, but I'm more inclined to believe now that Valorie might actually be one. I don't see any reason why Hal would have lied since he's town nor do I believe that the scum would frame people as werewolves instead of as their own faction.

I'm really not one. I don't think Hal lied, I think he thought he was looking for werewolves, so it makes sense that he would get a guilty result investigating someone framed, as I must have been. If you had both investigated me night 1, I bet you would have gotten mafia and he would have gotten werewolf. Imagine the confusion that would have caused. :laugh: I mean, I would have expected you to get the given names of the groups and not just mafia or not, so even that is weird. With Hal dead, we didn't even get a second result from you, so that is still an unknown. Maybe you both get/got weirdly named results.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I think that Hal likely would have tried to seer Valorie again last night to confirm that the result wasn't tampered with by framing, so Valorie killed Hal so this couldn't happen. Maybe the werewolf just gets a one-shot.

I thought you would have tried to cop me, so people can be hard to predict. I would be shocked if the scum can't kill nightly, but I guess they could take turns. There could be a werewolf, but not knowing what it is, it's hard to predict a win condition. If there are 2 scum and a werewolf, they definitely can't win with scum, at least.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

4) Valorie was actually framed and Hal got lucky targeting her, so the scum killed off Hal in order to prevent a different result coming back.

If he investigated me again and I wasn't framed again, he would have gotten not a werewolf. I think they wanted to make sure my result wouldn't be revealed, thus setting up an easy lynch on me, 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

It's only Day Three but it seems like it's do or die day today. Maybe I shouldn't have tied it up yesterday. Or maybe it was a good idea because then there'd be four of us today and we could've been outnumbered. Right now if there's two scum and Valorie is a neutral, it's 2-2-1.

I know I'm town, so I can guarantee that not lynching me was a good idea. I know I keep saying it, but it's true, the numbers are our biggest enemy in a party this small. The problem is, we're down this far with nothing solid to go on. We can hope the scum kill the werewolf, or the other way around, but we can't count on that. I know they aren't killing me because they want a free lynch.
 I'm pretty sure they could have won with that and still could.

3 hours ago, Tariq j said:

Yesterday, I was informed by the host that I had spotted a barrel floating in the water and was asked what I wanted to do with it (but I was not allowed to confer with anyone about it). I chose to pick it up and open it up to see if there was anything useful inside. I was given a shield which meant I was able to block or protect a player. Last night I chose to block Shadows and I was successful. 

Thank you, I appreciate that, it actually helps. With the idea of scum and werewolf teams taking turns killing, I have no doubt the scum would go first and the werewolf next, which would make last nights kill of Hal a werewolf action. Given his role, that makes a lot of sense. It also clears me, the one he accused. Alternately, I couldn't be a scum killer either. Win/win there.

As I said before, I have a special gift to use tonight, if I choose to, and I think I will. I'm pretty sure it might help. I feel safe saying this because the scum would have to be idiots to blow their kill on someone who could be dead at any moment. I do think that the longer that takes, the more desperate they may get, or worse, they might leave me as the last town and there won't be anything I can do to stop it. :sceptic:

4 hours ago, Tariq j said:

Last night I chose to block Shadows

Please keep in mind rule #6.  I'll let it slide with a warning this time. 

16 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread.

Apologies, it won’t happen again. To correct myself I blocked Valorie last night.

Hal was town. Which means everything he said (in terms of his results and his role) was true. He’d have no reason to lie to us so I believe that his investigation result on Valorie and his claim about his sanity were true. This means Valorie is indeed a werewolf or she was the target of a framer on night one.

I honestly don’t know what to believe. I presume Steve is not a framer, obviously Valorie wouldn’t be and I know I’m not a framer either. Which leaves us with Hex and Kai. Steve made a good point in that if the scum were to frame someone, it would frame that person as scum as oppose to werewolf surely?

2 hours ago, Shadows said:

Thank you, I appreciate that, it actually helps. With the idea of scum and werewolf teams taking turns killing, I have no doubt the scum would go first and the werewolf next, which would make last nights kill of Hal a werewolf action. Given his role, that makes a lot of sense. It also clears me, the one he accused. Alternately, I couldn't be a scum killer either. Win/win there.

So I still that you can’t be a werewolf but how does me blocking you last night mean you can’t be the scum killer?

So I get that you can’t be a werewolf but how does me blocking you last night mean you can’t be the scum killer?

44 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

So I get that you can’t be a werewolf but how does me blocking you last night mean you can’t be the scum killer?

What I said is that if we believe the theory that the scum and werewolf are taking turns killing, it was probably the werewolf last night, but even if it was scum, I was blocked. Either one, it wasn't me. That's the most we can be certain of there. I'm not saying I can't be a werewolf, though I'm not. Anyone could be, at this point, even assuming one exists.

49 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Steve made a good point in that if the scum were to frame someone, it would frame that person as scum as oppose to werewolf surely?

A framer doesn't pick how their target is named, just as guilty. It would only be logical that if the person investigating them is looking for werewolves, they'd find a werewolf.

Where's Hex and Kai? Hex is the only person I can trust and he's not showing up. If there's five of us does that mean there's two scum? Or one scum and one werewolf? I want to trust Valorie, but it just seems too convenient. Also I've received a special item as well this morning.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:26 AM, Shadows said:

Next post (might merge automatically): Well, this is an interesting twist, I was just notified that I found something. I'm not going to say what it is or what it does. I wasn't expecting this kind of thing to be included in our adventure, but it is welcome and could actually prove useful to us. I expect others will have similar experiences, or already have, so I am right when I say that I think people could know something or have the means to help.

(it didn't merge, I was too busy reading and rereading the message attached to the item)

I found a barrel N1!! I mentioned it! I’m helpful! Hyah!! Oh, but as I said, I was too slow getting out of the rigging to open it and see what was in it. :blush:

As to Hal’s death, it is interesting!  The simplest situation in my mind is that Hal was sane and correct, Valerie for some reason doesn’t want to admit being a werewolf so presumably it is a bad thing, and the scum killed Hal last night to make sure we will focus on Valerie and potentially kill her.

So on role claims:

Steve: Claimed Town investigator, results N1 Hex (Not Mafia), N2 Hal (unsuccessful)
Hex: Not Mafia according to Steve’s night 1 claim, do you have a role you want to claim, Hex?
Valorie: "Werewolf" (according to Hal’s N1 result.  Hal is now dead and verified as a gate seeker).  Has claimed no role but has a D3 one-shot action?  Might be good to get more info here.
Kai:  Hyah!  I don’t have a role :dsad2:
Adriene:  Claiming a one shot block action for N2 obtained from a barrel, which aligns with my finding of a barrel on N1 (although I didn’t open mine).  Blocked Valorie on N2, so Valorie was not the N2 killer.  It seems like the gate seekers have one-shot rotating roles, perhaps?  One random role per night assigned to one of the role-less gate seekers? 

Dead we have:
Alex:  Gate Seeker, no other info.
Hal:  Gate Seeker, claimed Seer and found Valerie to be a werewolf on N1.

With the above claims, and particularly with Hal having a role geared towards finding a werewolf, we should be able to figure out a few things.  Personally, I think a framer is extremely unlikely given the numbers and supposed roles out there.  If there is a framer, who would presumably be a gate protector, then is there also a separate gate protector killer?  Seems dubious, more likely they would be the same person and can either choose or alternate framing and killing, perhaps?

Let’s start with night one.  Steve claimed investigator pretty snappily and wasn’t killed for it last night, which is extremely risky for the gate protectors.  One theory could be that Steve and Hex are gay protectors, but why would Steve feel the need to fabricate a role so early to protect his associate? If we believe Steve, then we have to believe that Hex is also a gate seeker as supposedly the framer was busy with someone else on N1.  So to me, Steve and Hex are either both gate seekers or both gate protectors.

Moving along, we have Kai, Adriene, Valorie and Hex all claiming to have done nothing on N1.  One of us is the N1 killer.  If we believe Steve, then it is not Hex.  If Adriene and I have access to a barrel then I suppose we are in the same boat, unless he saw my mention of it yesterday and is bluffing. I didn’t open mine though so it would be a ballsy bluff, and covering for Valorie wouldn’t make much sense.  That leave Valorie for the N1 kill in my mind, hmm.

For N2, we have Valorie blocked by Adriene, Steve supposedly investigating Hal (which could be a cover story in case he was spotted in the process of killing Hal?), Hex and I doing nothing?  I know I did nothing, which should leave Hex as the killer, but Steve already said Hex is not Mafia so, shockingly, someone is lying. :laugh:

Could it be as simple as Hal being the killer and Hex the framer, with both being werewolves and there is no “Mafia” so to speak?  I did find Hal’s phrasing weird, surely the result would be Gate Seeker or Gate Protector (although noting of course the fact of a Seer and the assumption the Gate Protectors are called Werewolves in this scenario).

My other theory puts Adriene and Valorie together, with Adriene pretending to block Valorie based on my barrel note yesterday.

Unfortunately, I am a wild card! Nobody appears to have done any actions against me and I have nothing I can claim other than that I was the first to see a barrel and Adriene has now verified its existence.

Valorie and Steve, do you want to elaborate on how you found your special items?

1 hour ago, Dragonator said:

Valorie and Steve, do you want to elaborate on how you found your special items?

I saw something after switching to third person mode and I just knew I had to investigate and it turned out to be a special item that I can use. I can either use it or investigate someone, but I cannot do both the same night.

Boy, that was a lot of gibberish trying to look helpful. :dwacko:

One theory could be that Steve and Hex are gay protectors

I must admit, I never considered that possibility! :laugh:

In my case, I was exploring a cave and right behind some diamond ore, which I ignored for some reason, I saw a flash and had the option to examine it. I did and found an artifact that could be used to perform a special action just once, on whatever night I chose to use it, which is an interesting twist since that could allow them to pile up if they weren't used nightly. I do assume it's one per person at a time and it has only happened to me once so far. It's a nice way to give the town little helpful one-shot roles, and the pictures were cool, too. I hope we get to see all of those at the end of our adventure.

Also I don't know how many people get the opportunity to find a special item each day. I thought it would've been one per day, but it seems in some cases two per day. Unless someone is lying.

One theory could be that Steve and Hex are gay protectors

:blush::blush:

2 hours ago, Dragonator said:

If Adriene and I have access to a barrel then I suppose we are in the same boat, unless he saw my mention of it yesterday and is bluffing. I didn’t open mine though so it would be a ballsy bluff, and covering for Valorie wouldn’t make much sense.  

I should point out the reason I didn’t mention the barrel was because even though I had found one I wasn’t actually told what was in it until the start of last night. 

If we are going with the theory that the scum and the werewolves have alternate kills then I think the werewolves were more likely to have killed last night since I feel the scum would have no reason to kill Hal since he specifically looks for werewolves.

52 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I should point out the reason I didn’t mention the barrel was because even though I had found one I wasn’t actually told what was in it until the start of last night. 

If we are going with the theory that the scum and the werewolves have alternate kills then I think the werewolves were more likely to have killed last night since I feel the scum would have no reason to kill Hal since he specifically looks for werewolves.

Why weren't you told immediately after you found it and opened it? Did anyone else have this happen to them?

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Why weren't you told immediately after you found it and opened it? Did anyone else have this happen to them?

I replied to the message from the voice in the sky and received my reply and gift within minutes. Maybe just lucky timing?

To clarify, I was informed at the start of Day 2 that I had found a barrel and asked what I wanted to do with it and I responded. I then was told at the start of Night 2 that I had opened it and found a shield inside and then proceeded to block Valorie. 

1 minute ago, Shadows said:

I replied to the message from the voice in the sky and received my reply and gift within minutes. Maybe just lucky timing?

Exactly this, I think it doesn’t mean anything but is down to lucky timing. 

51289403450_3c95536820_n.jpg

I didn't mention explicitly that you could start voting, but feel free to get those votes up any time after the first 24 hours of a day. 

There are about 32 hours left in Day 3.

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

To clarify, I was informed at the start of Day 2 that I had found a barrel and asked what I wanted to do with it and I responded. I then was told at the start of Night 2 that I had opened it and found a shield inside and then proceeded to block Valorie. 

Exactly this, I think it doesn’t mean anything but is down to lucky timing. 

The start of Day Two and the end of Day Two is a 72 hour period. Are you implying that the host was not present for 72 hours to not respond to you immediately like Valorie and I were? I don't mean to metagame, but I don't buy this at all. Plus the fact that Adriene is not on my cleared list of people (which is just me and Hex to be fair) makes me equally suspicious. I also don't understand Valorie defending Adriene saying it's lucky timing or whatever. Could you be making this up? For now I will:

Vote: Adriene (Tariq j) 

Simply because I don't buy the story of when you received your special item. Also, are two items being given per day? Kai said he got an item Day One, did anyone else? Has anyone else besides me received an item today?

Where is Hex? The one person I can trust is missing. Today feels like do or die, especially if there's two mafia and Valorie is a neutral werewolf.

You’re reading into this way too much. I have no idea why there was a delay in me receiving and getting the item. But I don’t get how that means I was lying about it. Here’s what I think so far:

Steve: Town Investigator

Hex: Not Mafia/possibly werewolf

Valorie: Possibly werewolf maybe the target of a framer

Myself: Vanilla Townie

Kai: Possibly scum

If Steve is lying then it’s likely he’s lying about Hex and they’re both in a scum team together. But Steve’s counterclaim to Hal on Day 2 seemed a pretty bold move that I can’t see a scum willingly doing. I think it is likely that Valorie is a werewolf since Hal would have no reason to us and there seem to be too many loops to jump through for Valorie not to be a werewolf (scum and werewolves having alternate kills, a framer targeting him the same night as Hal etc.) I know I’m not scum or werewolf, which means by process of elimination Kai has to be scum. 

I don’t think I buy the theory that the scum and werewolves have alternate kills each night. I think the scum made both kills and I noticed Kai has been unaccounted for on both nights. 

Vote: Kai (Dragonator) 

7 hours ago, Bob said:

I also don't understand Valorie defending Adriene saying it's lucky timing or whatever.

I'm not defending Adriene, I know absolutely nothing about her. Do I think that her experience being different from mine is suspicious? With so little to go on, sure. Do I think it's damning? I didn't when I thought she was just saying that a lot of time passed (like while the voice in the sky would be sleeping or doing other divine duties, etc), not the entire "day" meaning 72 hours. Your pointing that out does give me reason to think, plus the fact that I trust you doesn't leave too many more people to suspect at this point.

7 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I think it is likely that Valorie is a werewolf since Hal would have no reason to us and there seem to be too many loops to jump through for Valorie not to be a werewolf (scum and werewolves having alternate kills, a framer targeting him the same night as Hal etc.)

I'm not, but I wish I was just to know what it would mean. If there are 2 scum, it's obvious that they can't win with the werewolf and there is no way they could win alone without killing, so I doubt they can as well. Basically, that person should just step forward and level with us. Not saying I'd trust them, but I don't see them having a chance otherwise.

As far as there being too many "loops" to jump through though, the idea of me being framed and investigated on night one isn't even vaguely unexpected, it's typical meta. I'd be shocked to not be investigated and anyone with a frame and a brain would do it to me for maximum potential effect. That level of thinking, combined with a few other little things, makes me want to agree with your opinion of Kai, but I also consider him a prime werewolf possibility.

Not voting yet, but you've both made good cases.

7 hours ago, Tariq j said:

a framer targeting him

*harumph* :hmpf_bad:

So I already said everything I wanted to add, but with the new info on receipt of barrels etc I am leaning towards Adriene.  Adriene could have pretended to receive the barrel since I had already said I didn’t open it.  Everybody else has found their items in different ways, what are the chances that the same barrel would show up twice?

Also, by Adriene’s own process of elimination, given I know I’m a gate seeker that also leads me towards Adriene.  I don’t like being led and massive respect to Steve if he has indeed pulled off a complicate ploy, but the simplest explanation does lead us to Steve as a gate seeking investigator, Hex as a gate seeker or possibly the werewolf, Valorie possibly as a framed gate seeker or possibly the werewolf, myself as a gate seeker (although recognising I have zero way of validating that to anyone else) and Adriene as the gate protector, taking an opportunity to claim a gate seeker action and knowing that it probably wouldn’t be questioned as she killed Hal.  Who knows, maybe the gate seekers can get an item as well?

It would be great to hear what Hex thinks of all of this, do you have any additional info for us Hex?

We can't afford to not lunch today. I'm really split between Adriene and Kai, with both suspicious in their own way, but most of Kai's comes from the unknown, where Adriene's account of the barrel incident just feels wrong, like someone who didn't actually experience it and know how it happened. There can't be a good excuse for that.

It seems to be all we've got.

I'm annoyed that we aren't all here today, on what appears to be the most important day of all. Let's hear something, Hex, we need to all make this decision together and given my trust of Steve, I feel somewhat confident in you.