Dear fellow MOCcers,

It's been some time since I last had something to show here - but now another model is finished, and - it's not a train, but a historic racing car.

The Tyrrell 019 was designed by renowned Formula 1 designer Harvey Postlethwaite for the 1990 season. It debuted at that year’s San Marino Grand Prix where Jean Alesi drove it to 6th place.
Though not overwhelmingly successful throughout the rest of the season (apart from a 2nd place in Monaco) due to its underpowered Cosworth DFR 3.5 litre V8 engine, the 019 has been one of the most influential cars in Formula 1 history, as it pioneered the "raised nose cone“ principle for maximised underbody airflow – a design which soon was copied by virtually all other F1 teams and has remained a standard feature of racing cars until today.

My LEGO® model is built to 1/15 scale. Unlike many other LEGO® Formula 1 models of comparable scale and size, it features a removable cowling, detailed Cosworth V8 engine, realistic diffuser and (considering the size, at least) a rather detailed cockpit with steering wheel, seat-belts and gearstick.
The model consists of approx. 650 parts.
The front wing is mounted bottom-up using the "pneumatic hose technique“ shown here. The "single studs“ made from rigid and pneumatic hose are also used here and there.

900x450.jpg

900x600.jpg

900x450.jpg

900x450.jpg

900x600.jpg

800x533.jpg

900x600.jpg

900x450.jpg

900x600.jpg

640x427.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Wow.

Congratulations Sven - this is a truly >outstanding< "Scale Modeling" MOC.

What I like the most (apart from being so accurate) is that your MOC is based on a studded design, tiled so nicely. Of course, with some other parts as well.

But this very nice model shows in a brilliant way, what can be accomplished stud-wise.

I love it.

Thank you (again!) very much for sharing

Best wishes,
Thorsten

This is really extraordinary! I would have never thought you could come that close to the original car at this scale. Although I prefer legal building techniques over some of those daring techniques you used this is the best scale model I have seen for quite a while. Please share more of this stuff!

Edited by brickphisto
typo

Thank you very much for your compliments, @caiman0637, @brickphisto and @mic8per_ !

2 hours ago, brickphisto said:

those daring techniques you used

Hehe... nothing spectacular, I suppose. :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok

This is spectacular!  Plenty of great techniques throughout, but I especially like the front aero/spoiler with the partially inverted build.  Awesome!  :sweet:

Thank you very much for frontpaging my model, @Milan !

And also, of course, thank you for your kind words, @deraven !

I'm really glad to see that so many people like my model, especially as I never tried building a Formula One car in this scale before.

Edited by Tenderlok

Seems I forgot to mention:
Thanks to Markus (grawuli) from the Doctor Brick Forum, there are also complete instructions available for free on Rebrickable/Bricksafe. Enjoy!
Link

Edited by Tenderlok
fixed broken link

What a beautiful F1 car :pir-love: Engine detailing is fantastic to look at))

6 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Seems I forgot to mention:
Thanks to Markus (grawuli) from the Doctor Brick Forum, there are also complete instructions available for free on Rebrickable. Enjoy!
Link

It seems your link is directed to some strange rebrickable url (direct file download?) and returns a 404 page. Here's a working one: Link

Thank you @syclone !

19 minutes ago, syclone said:

It seems your link is directed to some strange rebrickable url (direct file download?) and returns a 404 page.

Ooops... fixed.

Masterful work.

I am assuming that most of the parts are just 3mm rigid hoses cut down to side, and those tiny disc things are just some sort of sprue which acts as a SNOT stud so you can build upside down.

May I ask, how are those two pnumatic hoses fitted in?

I assume the sprues did not work in that case.

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

Thank you, @Seasider and @SNIPE!

8 hours ago, SNIPE said:

and those tiny disc things are just some sort of sprue which acts as a SNOT stud so you can build upside down.

These "disc things" consist of a pneumatic hose pulled over a piece of rigid hose (brute force needed... :wink:), then the whole thing cut to pieces (3mm thick).

8 hours ago, SNIPE said:

May I ask, how are those two pnumatic hoses fitted in?
I assume the sprues did not work in that case.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. The pneumatic hose pieces connect the front fing to the nose; they are held in place only by compression, but (to my own surprise) it's a very sturdy connection:
400x226.PNG

Edited by Tenderlok

I usually do not like liftarmless MOCs but this is a master piece. They are too much people selliing instructions of poor MOCs and yours is free, if I liked this style I would not be happy building it without paying for it.

Thank you for your kind words, @jorgeopesi !
Basically, I'm building for my own pleasure, and this alone is already satisfying. When people like my MOCs, it makes me happy, and even happier when they like them so much that they want to build a copy. So why should I take money? People's appreciation is the best reward I can think of. :classic:
Just one thing makes me really angry (and sad): When people try to sell my freely available files for their own profit. But that's another story.

Thank you!
For me, the Formula 1 and Group C cars of the late '80s and early '90s were the most beautiful and most spectacular racers of all time. And you could distinguish them even without team livery and sponsor stickers, as every team had its own design philosophy. Today all the F1 cars look the same (and ugly, too)...

Dude, what are you like, a wizard?

I ogled over this MOC a couple of days ago, but never paid attention to who made it. You built this AND that stunning Peterbilt? Wow… Please keep them coming!!