On 11/1/2023 at 1:57 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Finally got time to redesign the 42114 PF version so that the functions properly.

It turns out that the drive function and the steer function didnt get enough torque. I gotta go back to the design process to fix them, and finally get them to work in the real model.

This model has taken too much out of me already, so this will be the last revision.

The next model I'm working on is gonna be 42099 PF, which should be short. After that I'll tackle the giant in the room: 42100 PF.

There's this technique I've discovered recently. In the models that use M or L motors for steering, it is possible to mimic the Servo's behavior by adding extra friction around the steering axle, thus decreasing the rotation speed. I already tested and refined this techinique on the 42109 PF and 42160 PF, and it works wonderfully.

20 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In the models that use M or L motors for steering, it is possible to mimic the Servo's behavior by adding extra friction around the steering axle, thus decreasing the rotation speed

This is the steering axle with additional friction in PF 42160

ER6JaDK.png

4 hours ago, 1gor said:

I suppose 12 tooth gear is under tan 20 tooth...

Yes, and it's not shown because it is grouped with other parts in the next step which follows the official instruction.

I'm exploring a second type of PF conversion for C+ sets. This version uses traditional gearboxes to drive functions.

Given that most C+ sets include drive and steer only, this approach only works for 3 sets: 42100, 42131, and 42146.

I'm working on 42131 at the moment. I ripped out the rear blade and managed to put the 4 bidirectional gearboxes into the rear area. One of them will do the driving.

WqCuLVI.png

In the current setup, the motors are hooked to the differential, so, the tracks can only drive forward and backward. Since there's some space left, I wanna add a subtractor that uses a manual switch to allow the model to drive left and right as well.

The problem is that I don't really get how subtractors work, and all models I found online use two motorized input, while what I have is one motorized input and one manual input. Any suggestions?

16 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'm exploring a second type of PF conversion for C+ sets. This version uses traditional gearboxes to drive functions.

Given that most C+ sets include drive and steer only, this approach only works for 3 sets: 42100, 42131, and 42146.

I'm working on 42131 at the moment. I ripped out the rear blade and managed to put the 4 bidirectional gearboxes into the rear area. One of them will do the driving.

WqCuLVI.png

In the current setup, the motors are hooked to the differential, so, the tracks can only drive forward and backward. Since there's some space left, I wanna add a subtractor that uses a manual switch to allow the model to drive left and right as well.

The problem is that I don't really get how subtractors work, and all models I found online use two motorized input, while what I have is one motorized input and one manual input. Any suggestions?

you need another differential for example a 4L diff, where the manual knob drives the yellow axle going into the diff, the motorized axle is going to either the 24 or 16 tooth gears on the diff case, and the black output axle is going to be going into the other side of the diff.

The cool thing is that the motor OR the manual knob can drive the output but not both at once, but the motor cant spin the manual knob and the manual knob cant spin the motor.

The output of this "tristate buffer" as I like to call it is going to go to the input of your multiplexer.

Edited by SNIPE

7 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

you need another differential for example a 4L diff, where the manual knob drives the yellow axle going into the diff, the motorized axle is going to either the 24 or 16 tooth gears on the diff case, and the black output axle is going to be going into the other side of the dif

I would recommend using a 16 tooth gear with the 16 tooth side of the diff but its up to you , you could even use bevel gears with a 28 tooth gear.

The cool thing is that the motor or the manual knob can drive the output, but the motor cant spin the manual knob and the manual knob cant spin the motor.

The output of this "tristate buffer" as I like to call it is going to go to the input of your multiplexer.

I can't really visualize this, can you show a mockup please?

Also, the manual input is just a switch that goes left or right or neutral. It's not a rotational input.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

42145 would be certainly possible but a bit of a challenge (but possible)

Edited by SNIPE