Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2022 Rumours, Leaks, Information And Discussion

1 hour ago, Poodabricks said:

$100 USD for a train station? Is it worth it? 

I'd say so, at least by LEGO City standards. After all, the contents are roughly similar in size/substance/complexity to a combination of 60050 (priced at $65) and 7936 (priced at $20), plus a huge bus which I think is easily worth $15. The piece count is also similar to or higher than the piece counts of most other $100 City sets.

So looking at that double loop stunt set. It looks like the loops are made by using some trans clear track pieces, kind of like Hot wheels track. I assume these are new pieces? Or am I just not seeing it right, again, lol.

Looks like the same loop as in the chimp set too, I guess it is a Technic panel, put together with friction pins.

Edited by Johnny1360

On 5/8/2022 at 3:18 PM, Poodabricks said:

$100 USD for a train station? Is it worth it? 

Yes. The 2010 station was also $100 USD, and so was the 2014 one. Only 2007's set 7997 was lower.

EDIT: ok, that'll teach me to rely on memory without looking things up first. I could've sworn all both older stations were $100!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 5/9/2022 at 8:38 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Yes. The 2010 station was also $100 USD, and so was the 2014 one. Only 2007's set 7997 was lower.

EDIT: ok, that'll teach me to rely on memory without looking things up first. I could've sworn all both older stations were $100!

Well I could've sworn that the new train station would be $70 or $80. That's what the original price quote was. 

Edited by Poodabricks

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Let's never talk about the last one, the still worst one, it was $65 and still garbage. 

Do I think the new one is worth $100? Not a chance. But it's still better than the last thing that looks like they took the worst Boston station and made it into a set.

I had a soft spot for 60050 but that may just have been because it contained my first sausage.  If nothing else the new station is a good set for vehicles and a parts pack for a station MOC.  We haven't had a MOW vehicle since the red cargo train in 2011

4 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I had a soft spot for 60050 but that may just have been because it contained my first sausage. 

You never forget your first sausage. :pir_laugh2:

I think you should add Gonzo from Muppets Series to your Stuntz set(s)! I mean he is a daredevil/stuntman. :)

$70USD for the farm is outrageous. It's 50 Euro, which is $52.50USD!!! LEGO can take the set and shove up it their...

And the Market van is $45... No. LEGO can f off.

Edited by Maple

10 hours ago, Maple said:

$70USD for the farm is outrageous. It's 50 Euro, which is $52.50USD!!!

I agree you definitely drew the short stick this time and normally it is we that do that. So I was very pleased to the that it was only 53,50 Euro her for once. A 40% discount for a normal City set is not rare if one is willing to wait a while, with all those animals it may be cheaper to just buy the set even if they pop up on B&P again :sweet:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

I agree you definitely drew the short stick this time and normally it is we that do that. So I was very pleased to the that it was only 53,50 Euro her for once. A 40% discount for a normal City set is not rare if one is willing to wait a while, with all those animals it may be cheaper to just buy the set even if they pop up on B&P again :sweet:

The USA doesn't have 40% sales, we have 20% sales. The Euro price includes VAT taxes, while 95% of the USA has to pay sales tax of 5%+

I shouldn't have to go on Bricklink to buy sets from Germany because they are already 25% cheaper than the USA prices.

Lego thinks I have brand loyalty? I'll just buy third party.

49 minutes ago, Maple said:

I shouldn't have to go on Bricklink to buy sets from Germany because they are already 25% cheaper than the USA prices.

I agree , in reverse a lot of Star Wars and licensed sets were typically a lot cheaper in US compared to EU (2018 Hoth Medical Chamber $30 vs €50), but EU importing laws are a lot more restrictive, even from neighbour countries like post-brexit UK.

~21% would be added as soon as a product enters EU from outside now.

0-4,7% more of import taxes for toys are added if product is above €150.

And then a fixed €10-20 customs fee to the courier like DHL/UPS etc. (seperate from shipping fee)

The first bricklink designer program (the one with sets like Lowenstein Castle) ,  shipped from US, so even with free shipping, those fees didn't make it very attractive as $200 would still be subject to all those fees.

In the past, none of those fees would be applied under €22, but that's changed now so even small sales like bricklink parts aren't as cheap and easy as they were from outside EU.

Shipping costs in general also went up quite a bit over the years, even before 2020.

US somehow has way higher prices for City while it's not licensed, usually prices in Europe get blamed on terms like "license tax" but even there it's very inconsistent between sets and themes in the same waves of sets, some JW sets are higher in Euro compared to Dollar, while others are equal.

As for discounts in Europe, LEGO over the past years seems to have more and more "Exclusive" sets here, including smalller sets like City car transporter/horse transporter, so it's certainly not a LEGO-Wide 20-40% discount.

So far the Cargo Train, Station appear to be LEGO.com exclusives in Netherlands/Germany.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I agree , in reverse a lot of Star Wars and licensed sets were typically a lot cheaper in US compared to EU (2018 Hoth Medical Chamber $30 vs €50), but EU importing laws are a lot more restrictive, even from neighbour countries like post-brexit UK.

I'm pissed both ways. LEGO should cost about the same in every country. Aussie people probably are screaming 'YESS!!!!'. People used to complain when Euro = USD but again, Euro has taxes the USA does. If a set cost $20 in the USA it should cost $20USD plus EU taxes in Europe and then guestimate how much the exchange rate will change. 

And weird exclusives are even worse, what's the point of that?!

I just bought a set of Muppets from eBay for $70 shipped.... from Germany. The sellers in the USA are now like $90-$100. That's not really LEGO's fault but it's rather weird.

The Farmers' Market Truck is $45USD. Ice Cream Truck from a few years back is about the same size. LEGO is trying to tell me that the 100 piece crop, an extra figure cost $25!?!?! No way.

Edited by Maple

2 hours ago, Maple said:

The Farmers' Market Truck is $45USD. Ice Cream Truck from a few years back is about the same size. LEGO is trying to tell me that the 100 piece crop, an extra figure cost $25!?!?! No way.

I 100% agree that those 20 vs 30 and 30 vs 45 , both ways with Euro/USD or whatever currency are really weird, no matter what theme.

In perspective, on larger sets that would mean something like Titanic would be 600 vs 400 (or 600 vs 900 depending), yeah if you look at it like that it gets even more ridiculous while it's basicly the same thing happening as with 20 and 30 dollar/euro sets out there.

I'm not trying to find an excuse for City/License/whatever prices here, it just doesn't make sense with this inconsistency.

Exchange rate, or VAT % doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, for many years there was a €5-10-20 Difference on sets between Netherlands and Germany, for some reason the Ideas Blacksmith was €170 in NL and €150 in Germany, until 2022 at least.

I just looked at the US city prices , and those stuntz challenge sets  €20 vs $35 USD / $45 CAD , completely out of hand pricing there, even worse then that €30 vs $45 USD/ $60CAD vegetable truck.

Honestly would love to see reviews react to that because at this point it's undefendable as City isn't License, the "license tax",  or "priced for discount" excuses simply wont work at such differences.

Edited by TeriXeri

I didn't even notice the Stuntz rip off. The bikes are $8USD, there is no excuse for for the other stuff being $27 when the whole thing is 20 Euro.

And it's not like shipping costs. The sets in North America aren't made in Europe, they are made in Mexico. So to me the Euro prices should be more expensive because European employees will be making a lot more than Mexican employees.

I have been thinking about these farm sets. I don’t think I will buy Barn & Farm Animals set but probably I would buy farmer’s delivery van or chicken coop.

instead of buying he barn set, I would buy farm animals off B&P or Bricklink. 

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have been thinking about these farm sets. I don’t think I will buy Barn & Farm Animals set but probably I would buy farmer’s delivery van or chicken coop.

instead of buying he barn set, I would buy farm animals off B&P or Bricklink. 

I'm with you there. The only farm sets I'm buying are the salad truck and the grocery store. 

Lego City isn't perhaps regarded as an expensive theme by the general non AFOL audience, since there are quite a lot of small sets around, but for quite some time I have the feeling that most of them aren't worth the price or even attractive enough. There are magnificent exceptions like the small 'Picnic in the Park' but really good City sets cost at least 60€.

The farmer's truck (with only one little rabbit!) and all the mission sets are 30€ each, but are they a good present for kids? I seriously doubt it when I see a Jurassic Park set with truck and two dinosaurs for the same price.

But since the new animal moulds are fantastic, I expect them to show up in other sets sooner or later. I still have to buy the huge Safari outpost.

1 hour ago, brimbolet said:

Lego City isn't perhaps regarded as an expensive theme by the general non AFOL audience, since there are quite a lot of small sets around, but for quite some time I have the feeling that most of them aren't worth the price or even attractive enough. There are magnificent exceptions like the small 'Picnic in the Park' but really good City sets cost at least 60€.

City pricing went way overboard on USD this year, meanwhile 1 Euro is getting very close to 1 US Dollar now, currently $1.04, no way to explain €20 sets stuntz selling for $35.

But in Europe at least, I think the €10-€30 price range has been my favorite in the longest time for City.

Stepping it up to €40 you get a Crane, a Police Trailer and a UFO Truck, still fair.

Then the €60 Fire and Police stations aren't bad at a smaller size, the Space Station as well.

The Moon Base was my favorite €100.

Overall value wise the Mission sets are my favorite, good amount of figures/accesoires, animals, printed pieces, and overall a great parts selection you won't see if it were just a simple SUV/Boat/NASA Spaceship set.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

I'm with you there. The only farm sets I'm buying are the salad truck and the grocery store. 

Yeah! I’m very interested in farm aniamls alone but I think chicken coop and delivery van sets are pretty neat!

Oh yeah, grocery store is awesome! Even with that coool artificial leg!

The prices are not…great. I mean, gas prices go up and inflation goes up. Financial/pricing lanauge is not my best skills tho. 

City Launch Rocket Base finally had a decent discount , which is nice since it's mostly an exclusive set here. 

Just built it, and quite impressed, it has quite a size to it, and many large parts but it's far from an oversimplified build.

The launch tower is supported by internal technic axles so very sturdy, and the rocket won't fall off either even when picking up the launch pad.

Also the rocket can easily be used as shuttle tank/boosters for the previous 3-in-1 scale shuttles, still looks quite good due to the shaping of the dark orange parts.

The observatory is quite good as well, pictures make it look smaller then it is since the rocket and launch tower are very tall for a regular City set.

The launch control is a bit empty inside, and the back is open but you can place the launch control at the backside of the garage and the observatory can still spin freely and there are no big gaps.

Value wise, I don't think this set should be judged on a price per piece , the volume of stuff is quite good and while a lot of parts could've been made out of smaller parts, it's still a 7+ set, but doesn't feel like a 5+ or 4+ in terms of builds. At full price it's a bit too much tho.

I don't have the 2 rocket launch sets from 2019 so can't really compare to those.

Edited by TeriXeri

27 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

City Launch Rocket Base finally had a decent discount , which is nice since it's mostly an exclusive set here. 

That's a rare find. Usually, the only sets I see getting discounts are police and fire sets. Nothing else! 

I just looked at the 2011 Space launch center, and the 2022 version certainly can do a lot what that set could do, with the elevator, 

The 2019 set focused more on launch countdown/phone and rollercoaster track.

2015 set had the best Crawler build.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just noticed the Moon Boulder in the Rocket launch base is a different, darker color, that's a cool detail considering it's trying to be a recently fallen meteorite with the small crater flames still burning.

6382567.jpg6392821.jpg

Silver Metallic (Flat Silver) vs Titanium Metallic (Pearl Dark Gray)

Edited by TeriXeri