Calf!

Light brown cow!

Sheep (with fleece piece)!

Lamb!

piglet!

Corn in cog!

But is that a new butterfly piece?

Edited by DBlegonerd7

Those farm sets certainly are an improvement over this old farm/thanksgiving build from 2017, especially the Corn and Pumpkins.

tn_40261_alt2_jpg.jpg

Friends Tree Planting vehicle set would still be a good expansion to this subtheme, and it's a more classic pickup truck style build.

LEGO certainly loves it's big Carrot builds this year as well, Moon Cake Factory Rocket, Friends Vegetable Food Stand and now this Greenery City Van.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Undi3sss said:

The blue haired girl is cool, I'm liking how latley they've been giving us lots of new colours for hair instead of the more traditional colours.

Ooo, a female blue hairpiece ounces nice! It’s perfect to use it as a lesbian character from “Blue is the Wamrest Color”. By the way, do you know there is a male green hairpiece in CMF back in 2019? 

Interesting. It's a good year for carrot/rabbit fans at least. 😁

These are very modern looking. Different than what I was secretly hoping for. I would like to see more idyllic/old-timey/rustic farm sets. Like with an old truck and red barn. I want to see this guy's farm.

I agree that we have enough goofy food trucks in City. I wish the part count for the truck went to something else, anything else more farm specific.

Also Lego did the goat people dirty. 😆

Edited by danth

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I shiver thinking about the price that +4 set will have in a few years in the aftermarket

I do not think they will do the same mistake as with the goat and only release it in one set, but if they do it will become expensive yes :devil:

35 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

But is that a new butterfly piece?

No it is from "Friends" :classic:

What a year for animals in City:wub:

45 minutes ago, danth said:

Interesting. It's a good year for carrot/rabbit fans at least. 😁

These are very modern looking. Different than what I was secretly hoping for. I would like to see more idyllic/old-timey/rustic farm sets. Like with an old truck and red barn. I want to see this guy's farm.

I agree that we have enough goofy food trucks in City. I wish the part count for the truck went to something else, anything else more farm specific.

Also Lego did the goat people dirty. 😆

I hear ya - I half expected the pick up truck set to be a bit of a tease for that. 
of course we may see some proper old timey farmer or animal handlers in the big 90th anniversary castle …

3 hours ago, Maple said:

The farm is much better than I was thinking. The last one wasn't Junior / 4+ and a bit simple. The animals are of course great. The sheep you can cut the hair off. Fantastic.
The egg quad thing is basic and fine. Not much to say. Shocking there is no new egg piece. Not.
The veggie truck is a just phoning it in. Looks like all the other 'meh' foo trucks in City. It's not 'farmy' enough for me. The crops are also really bad. The ice cream piece should be red and used for cherry tomatoes. Grapes don't grow like that.

Yes I guess you can say....I'm disappointed but in a good way. Because a set that I expect to suck, is actually amazing. 

Just now, Poodabricks said:

Yes I guess you can say....I'm disappointed but in a good way. Because a set that I expect to suck, is actually amazing. 

Best way to be disappointed 

The farm sets look quite nice! I am somewhat disappointed with the barn, since I was hoping the sides of the barn would be made of panels (perhaps even printed ones) and not empty door/window frames, but I do prefer it over the 2009 version. Adding actual doors to both the ground floor and hayloft does a lot to make it feel more "finished" and less like just an attic on stilts.

The animals in that set are all a delight. The new baby animals (calf, piglet, and lamb) add a lot of heartwarming charm by allowing System sets and MOCs to depict whole animal families, just like Duplo farm sets have been doing for so many years. And I greatly appreciate the cow both as a new recolor and a return for an animal mold that we haven't seen in sets for quite some time. The only animal that feels a bit superfluous to me is the squirrel — while it's believable that a squirrel might seek warmth and shelter in a hayloft, I don't think it really adds as much to this set's play value as it did in previous sets.

I'm also pleased that the set also goes out of its way to include plenty of accessories for farm animal care play scenarios: a brush, hose, and washtub for bathing the animals; a shovel for cleaning up animal manure (which I suppose can then be used as fertilizer in the greenhouse); and a detachable wool piece and pair of shears for shearing the sheep. On that note, I saw a funny comment on Brickset asking if LEGO might make a wolf piece that can wear the sheep's clothing, and now I can't stop thinking about how charming that would be for the wordplay alone!

The chicken coop and vegetable delivery truck are nice sets that seem to offer a pretty good value for money, at least in euros (not sure what the prices will be in other currencies, since City sets can be a little unpredictable in that regard). The chicken coop is a nice vignette-sized build that nicely matches the design language and color scheme of the barn at a smaller scale, and the chickens themselves are a great new recolor that closely resembles the chickens my aunt and uncle keep in their backyard!

Farms are probably the setting where I'm most used to seeing quad bikes in real life (the John Deere "Gator" is a model that I remember seeing a lot on childhood trips to berry farms, pumpkin patches, etc), and the one in the chicken coop set looks exactly how it should. I also think this is maybe the best use of the tilt-steering function that I've seen, since even in a non-conflict-driven set, it presents a nice bit of danger — if the driver isn't careful when turning, the eggs could very easily end up flying out of their crate and scattering on the ground! And that helps expand the number of stories you can tell even with a set this small.

The farmer's market truck also feels very authentic to my hometown farmer's market that I'd go to so often as a child, and the new plant pieces we previously saw in the cargo train set are put to great use (although I am a little surprised not to see any use of the similar beanstalk piece from the Super Mario sets). I'd already admired sets' use of viking horns as chili peppers or ice cream scoops as clusters of grapes as inspired ways of creating new sorts of fruit and veggies using existing parts. And it's nice to get more sets that show how fruits and veggies like this look before they're harvested.

The corn cob piece is a nice new accessory too. Previously i'd had to resort to stacks of flower pieces to represent corn cobs, but this feels a lot more authentic next to these other, more accurately textured veggies. That said, it does sometimes feel awkward to still see the oversized Belville carrots being used with standard minifigures! For my part, I prefer the carrot build that we've seen in some Disney Frozen sets (an orange unicorn horn with a flower on the top to represent the leaves).

On one final note, the female character in the truck set is yet another minifig whose fashion sense I can't help but envy! I miss both having bright-colored hair (haven't had much opportunity to get it dyed since before the pandemic), as well as having a vibrant orange coat I could wear when it's cold and gloomy, both for keeping warm and bringing a bit of brightness and sunshine into my day!

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

On one final note, the female character in the truck set is yet another minifig whose fashion sense I can't help but envy! I miss both having bright-colored hair (haven't had much opportunity to get it dyed since before the pandemic), as well as having a vibrant orange coat I could wear when it's cold and gloomy, both for keeping warm and bringing a bit of brightness and sunshine into my day!

Yes......I love the hair piece. But I also love the outfits for the farmers included in the sets. To me, it gives an even bigger feeling of it being an industry (which it is) instead of just a plain folks thing. 

Edited by Poodabricks

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I shiver thinking about the price that +4 set will have in a few years in the aftermarket

Yessir, this will be an example of one of those sets that’s a better investment than gold or the stock market, if you’re into prospecting and storing sets as an investment. I typically have not done that, but it’s tempting with this one. 

Edited by SirBlake

What a good year for Lego creatures across various themes - I’m only speaking of molded ones, not brick-built - squirrel, kitttens, Pyroraptor, Quetacoatlus, Giganotosaurus, Thersal foal, calf, lamb, piglet, and more to list!

But for City, I think it’s a great year for animals. Same for 2021, thanks to Wildlife Rescue subtheme. 

The chicken coop set isn't that bad, the quad does have the turning wheels which is a bonus, 3 chicken would've been nicer of course, but it could easily have been some 40 piece build instead of the 101 pieces it has now, I like the small details like the roof looks to be only attached with 2 stud for easy removal, the window doors etc, the 4+ farm building looks a bit more simple due to the lack of the door window shutters to be fair.

As for the choice of the egg piece, LEGO has done quite a few (3 between 2015 and 2020) Easter sets with a mini chicken coop or nest with small eggs, or even both in the same set, the 2020 Easter Bunny House set had a small coop with a collection door for small eggs and a 6-egg pack on the scooter.

Honestly I'm personally fine with both pieces.

In this case City , larger eggs probably make more fun to play with, while for display and scale, the smaller Bionicle Barakki eyes work better

Even this year LEGO used small eggs for turtle nest, and large eggs for throwing at the police in the mobile command set with splat pieces and a mini tractor.

I don't think there's a real pattern here, but I didn't expect small eggs after LEGO making splat pieces and big chicken eggs being used in that set. (Snake Rattler even moreso foreshadowed the farm theme imo with his farm tractor and outfit) 

And honestly it's a cool farmer figure regardless : 

cty1367.png

That set  (60315: Police Mobile Command Truck) has been consistently on sale, so will probably pick it up soon, the mini tractor is pretty nice as well, and the blue color scheme of that set could even be remade into some farm trailer.

As a bonus, the 4+ farm reminds me a lot of the style of 31078: Tree House Treasures , and it could easily fit well together , even if you remove the tree and pirate themed stuff and turned into a small extension to the chicken coop, doghouse, or rabbit house, or something, also those window shutters could be put into the 4+ farm doors instead.

tn_31078_alt2_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

So you are disappointed that now you need to spend the money on it? :laugh:

53 minutes ago, Maple said:

So you are disappointed that now you need to spend the money on it? :laugh:

:laugh: YES!!!!!

All jokes aside though. I still have to get the bank for my town. That building is still missing in my town. Gotta get my financial situation straightened out before I even think of getting more Lego for right now though. 

Edited by Poodabricks

15 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

:laugh: YES!!!!!

All jokes aside though. I still have to get the bank for my town. That building is still missing in my town. Gotta get my financial situation straightened out before I even think of getting more Lego for right now though. 

I almost bought the bank for $65-$68. Someone beat me too it as I was debating because I only really want the bank. However I spent a bunch of money on The GB car, moonbase, friends treehouse, Episode 9 Falcon... Cutting back for a bit as I. catch up.

Edited by Maple

4 minutes ago, Maple said:

I almost bought the bank for $65-$68. Someone beat me too it as I was debating because I only really want the bank. However I spent a bunch of money on The GB car, moonbase, friends treehouse, Episode 9 Falcon... Cutting back for a bit as I. catch up.

Bro! I found some great deals for the set on eBay. One was for $68 with free shipping. Would've gotten it, but like you, someone beat me to it. 

Edited by Poodabricks

23 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

Bro! I found some great deals for the set on eBay. One was for $68 with free shipping. Would've gotten it, but like you, someone beat me to it. 

Maybe we were looking at the same one! eBay is now were I buy 90% of my LEGO. 

All those sets listed I got for about 40-50% off because they are returns that ebay stores buy up, and free shipping. So far only the Friends Treehouse ($40) was missing pieces, four, backup head, hair, bike wheel and one other. No big deal. Just built the Moonbase I got for $75. Great $80-$90 set, horrible $120 set. I'll take 40-50% off LEGO for a messed up box.

Edited by Maple

1 minute ago, Maple said:

Maybe we were looking at the same one! eBay is now were I buy 90% of my LEGO.

All those sets listed I got for about 40-50% off because they are returns that ebay stores buy up. So far only the Friends Treehouse ($40) was pissing pieces, four, backup head, hair, bike wheel and one other. No big deal. Just built the Moonbase I got for $75. Great $80-$90 set, horrible $120 set. I'll take 40-50% off LEGO for a messed up box.

It might be the same one because I get a lot of my pieces off of Ebay too. I think $68 is just the right price for that set. I hardly buy from the Lego stores because that's where markups happen the most. I either go to local department stores like Wal-Mart or Target or find a great deal on eBay. I'll just say this now, the new hospital is a righteously great set. But I don't think $120 is worth it. Got mine on eBay for $90 which is a much more reasonable price for the set. I only go to the Lego stores if it's something I can't find anywhere else. 

Finally pictures! As always there's light in shadow in the final sets; but it's great that we get some farm sets at last.

The henhouse is unfortunately quite a poor set compared to the current 60326 Picnic in the Park (only 5€ more + exclusive); it has one bigger animal or minifig missing.

The animals are of course fantastic, though the wool piece is in my opinion a waste of a mold - a fox for the henhouse / new goat would have been far better. The new watering can is also nice touch.

Hopefully the various mission sets will show up soon.

2 hours ago, brimbolet said:

The animals are of course fantastic, though the wool piece is in my opinion a waste of a mold - a fox for the henhouse / new goat would have been far better. The new watering can is also nice touch.

Hopefully the various mission sets will show up soon.

I understand that the wool piece is a waste of money - a fox or goat mold would be great for this farm subtheme. But I think a wool piece is just a brilliant idea!

I don’t know if there would be an “unknown” farm set. For example, we didn’t know there was Wildlife Rescue Camp set until later last year. But I think there will be a polybag? It’s possible to see fox, rooster or goat making appearance in CMF. Like we got a Horse Keeper minifigure with a foal from Series 22. 

We have no ida what kind of “wildlife rescue’ would be for Mission set. But we had seen a baby gator from Marvel CMF Series last year. There may be a chance for a baby gator to show up in Mission set. 

Hi! New here, usually hang around in the modular and Harry Potter forums but I saw the farm sets and I had to see what everyone is saying about them.

I would have preffered a slightly more old fashioned style to the barn and tractor, but I live pretty much all the side builds - and the animals! Now I'm thinking about creating a WWII-era urban farm for my modular city, just need to get a more old fashioned mini scale tractor or truck. Any suggestions? 

And I actually think the truck is pretty nice, even if it's to modern for me.