Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2022 Rumours, Leaks, Information And Discussion

In my opinion latest Great Vehicles are less detailed than before, especially the trucks.

I'd like more opening doors

1 minute ago, Cooter said:

In my opinion latest Great Vehicles are less detailed than before, especially the trucks.

I'd like more opening doors

City the last few years, and this year's NinjaGo are much more simple, going after the younger LEGO age range.

3 hours ago, LCP said:

When I usually buy Lego, I get small products first, but do you, too?

Yup! I usually do that too, I like buying some small products like CMF and $30-or-less sets.  But recently, I got some big sets for Christmas. 

I’m planning to buy Picnic in the Park set. 

But I will not need to buy more sets like School Day or Ice Cream Truck Heist sets. I would buy some parts off B&P. 

7 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yup! I usually do that too, I like buying some small products like CMF and $30-or-less sets.  But recently, I got some big sets for Christmas. 

I’m planning to buy Picnic in the Park set. 

But I will not need to buy more sets like School Day or Ice Cream Truck Heist sets. I would buy some parts off B&P. 

It depends on my case @LCP

In each January the first set I purchase sometimes happens to be a cheap one (for example:in 2020 it was the street sweeper and last year it was the prisoner transport) while sometimes I buy a big one instead,in 2018 I got the mine 

3 hours ago, LCP said:

Most of the time, I get the one I wanted the most. But I couldn't slip it past my parents - who are critical about me being an AFOL without them knowing. So I had to wait to buy to school. Finally got it last night along with a bonus gift of the playground polybag. 

For City I tend to wait for discounts, and also see what's in 2nd half of the year.

Early in a year there are the Chinese New Year sets which , especially now, if they sell out, can take a long time to come back in stock.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

City the last few years, and this year's NinjaGo are much more simple, going after the younger LEGO age range.

I agree most of the Ninjago are pretty simple, but seeing the build on the big combo mech live, it's still a 1100+ piece set with varied pieces/build techniques, rated 9+.

And the Dojo has almost 1400.

2020 City Main square was one of the biggest recent City sets, outside of Trains, and was only a 6+, simple builds despite having 1500 pieces.

I think LEGO is pretty on point with their recent age rating systems , 3-in-1 is overall even somewhat more complex then City, and especially the larger sets at 8+/9+.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

For City I tend to wait for discounts, and also see what's in 2nd half of the year.

Early in a year there are the Chinese New Year sets which , especially now, if they sell out, can take a long time to come back in stock.

I agree most of the Ninjago are pretty simple, but seeing the build on the big combo mech live, it's still a 1100+ piece set with varied pieces/build techniques, rated 9+.

2020 City Main square was one of the biggest recent City sets, outside of Trains, and was only a 6+, simple builds despite having 1500 pieces.

I think LEGO is pretty on point with their recent age rating systems , 3-in-1 is overall even somewhat more complex then City, and especially the larger sets at 8+/9+.

Yes, if you have done enough homework and know where to buy, sometimes discount for Lego city sets could be very large. For example, I recently got the shopping street for about $45 only, and the jetshow truck for about $18 only but such real deal appears shortly and goes away quickly and gone for good

On 1/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I’ve been debating if I should get the new police car or not. The 2019 version is just perfect if you ask me. (Not to mention, I bought 10 of them for my city.)

I bought 60312 because I got it with 25% discount already. I too like 60239 better and I still stand by that. The best part about 60312 is the 1x4 brick with the "police" print, looks great on 60239 as well.

As for 60312 itself I think it's a bulkier, less elegant version of the police sports car in 60242. With holes around the wheelhouses and the roof, and a pretty minimalistic front and rear, for example no turn lights, and only tiny headlights. Maybe a couple of changes might bring a better result, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Edited by rzmpf

I think 60312 is a good car , might look a bit blocky at the front corner headlights, and the rear is a bit bare but I like the design a lot, but there's room for modifications.

The car in 60314 isn't bad either, as a model, the rear could be improved a lot if you don't want the crate/caltrops play feature (could add the magnet from 60243: Police Helicopter Chase on the back if you want a return to "Sky Police 2.0 , now with airdropped cars" )

The dog-van in 60316: Police Station has an offset steering wheel so I assume the dog will fit in front when you put a criminal in the back.

60315 pickup truck looks pretty decent , but the mini tractor and farm-snake rattler + egg parts are best part of that set.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Oh yeah, NinjaGo has a few bigger sets still. LEGO realizes that NinjaGo is liked by ages 4-9 and City be more like 4-7 according to the boxes. The Dojo is 8+ and the mech is 9+ while the City sets are weirdly 5 or 6 with the bank being 7 for some reason. Now Im curious how LEGO determines age. We all need to remember that the majority of City sets are for like 6 year olds. 

8 hours ago, LCP said:

For me it can be sort of the opposite. I often get bigger sets that I'm looking forward to sooner (occasionally I'll wait for a good general discount like the AFOL days at Lego brand stores, but sometimes for sets I've really been anticipating I won't even wait that long) and save smaller ones that I can more reliably find in local stores for a time when I'm done building the bigger sets and feel like a small set could be a good "pick-me-up". That can sometimes backfire on me a little if I end up putting off the smaller ones too long (which has happened a few times during the pandemic when I'm making fewer regular trips to the store).

My dad's a bigger City builder than I am though, so in that case it's often the other way around—I'm more likely to pick up a small set I like when I see one at a store that appeals to me (like the Stuntz bike with Rocket Racer most recently), or one he'd be interested in (like the road plate pack last year), but often save the bigger, more extravagant ones for a gift-giving occasion.

I listened to everyone's opinions well. I think small products have a short retirement cycle, so I buy them first.

I am always excited to see what's coming out from LEGO as it will determine what I'll be buying a year from now, or what older sets I may need to pick up before they get too expensive.

This year, I'm planning to pick up:

• Picnic in the Park x 2
  • Town Center from 2021
  • Kids playground polybag
  • Police Chase at the bank (for the bank, maybe the red truck to convert out of criminality, and sell the rest off)
  • Maybe Lifeguard station and/or sardine factory - for the right price.

I usually wait to buy the bigger sets at discount, even if that means a year. I try to hold off on the smaller sets too, in case I need to top up an order from LEGO to meet some price threshold, but sometimes I cave and buy something for fun earlier. I'll probably cave with Picnic and get at least one early.

I don't want to buy too fast as I have limited room in my small town and I can't really physically expand any further.

6 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Brought the school and added a roof!

After seeing Jang's review of the police station there is no reason the school couldn't include a roof. The school is a school and a bus. The police station is a garbage truck, police SUV and a helicopter with a much larger building and a roof!

The last fire station, 2019 I think was always on sale for 20% off and Target sometimes had a $10 giftcard. If that is the case with the police station I'm sold. I really want the garbage truck. I'll use the rest of the pieces to add a new floor to my dinosaur research building. (I MOCed a 2010ish police station into an office building and added Jurassic World Wu's Lab to it.) :pir-huzzah1:

37 minutes ago, Maple said:

After seeing Jang's review of the police station there is no reason the school couldn't include a roof. The school is a school and a bus. The police station is a garbage truck, police SUV and a helicopter with a much larger building and a roof!

Yeah! Like, they are LITERALLY the same bricking price! The top floor of the school needed major changes; the left side and the roof being the two major changes. The rest of the building doesn't really bother me as City is always straight to the point with their sets anyway. Just take all the extra stuff out and just have the main parts. I'm assuming that art (the easel and paints) and music (the drums and concert ads) happen on the first floor along with the lobby and on the second-floor science (the plants, microscope, genetics chart and solar system), health (the skeleton), history (the ancient crystal) and home room (the desks) takes place on the top floor. Physical Education, I'm assuming takes place outdoors along with recess from the looks of the rock climbing area and hop scotch. Then there was the school bus which could've had an extra set of windows near the driver's seat. I'd also try and fit another set, install back wheel arches and replace the gray front bumper with a black one like actual American style school buses do - which is what it is supposed to be based off of. I'd also do a blacktop package for the school bus and change the wheel color from silver to black. 

One has to wonder where the children eat lunch. 

Edited by Poodabricks

7 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

Yeah! Like, they are LITERALLY the same bricking price! The top floor of the school needed major changes; the left side and the roof being the two major changes. The rest of the building doesn't really bother me as City is always straight to the point with their sets anyway. Just take all the extra stuff out and just have the main parts.

One has to wonder where the children eat lunch. 

The Friends High School is a much more complete school (with cafeteria) and in the US it's $10 cheaper(!) than the City School.

It's somehow the reverse in Euro according to BL, so Friends sets seems to be extremely cheap in the US. The RRP for the High School is $59.99 in the US, while here in Sweden it costs the equivalent of $99, which is just crazy.

I think you'd have to buy two schools and hit up spares on bricklink to make it reasonable. Schools are usually large builds, and putting two of these schools together would give two rooms up top, an entrance way (with a custom bathroom?) and one classroom on the ground floor. If it were me, I'd then custom build the back, add stairs, and of course a roof (and tiles between floors for easy removal.).

Just built the new Police Car, my first new yellow pieces, it's kind of an odd color that is going to take getting used to, for me anyway, kept thinking it looked like non-lego bricks, lol. Aside from that I am pretty disappointed with this one, I think it could benefit from about a half dozen more pieces to start with and it reminds me of a mishmash of different cars, not sure why though. Basically it just seems like an odd design overall, oh well still glad I got it and added it to the fleet. I did like the last one better though and I am glad I got two.

Edited by Johnny1360

I think LEGO is just running out of ways to make new police cars with the pieces they have. 

Picnic in the Park is top of my wish list this year. The hospital, police station and mobile command truck are on my wish list as well.

I really love and appreciate that the size of the box of the cement truck is largely compacted, very handy to carry and good for storage. In the past the city garage truck had a much thicker box

Edited by ks6349

On 1/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, rzmpf said:

I bought 60312 because I got it with 25% discount already. I too like 60239 better and I still stand by that. The best part about 60312 is the 1x4 brick with the "police" print, looks great on 60239 as well.

As for 60312 itself I think it's a bulkier, less elegant version of the police sports car in 60242. With holes around the wheelhouses and the roof, and a pretty minimalistic front and rear, for example no turn lights, and only tiny headlights. Maybe a couple of changes might bring a better result, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Do you happen to have a picture with the printed brick on the old cop car?

The more I see of the “larger” sets, the more I say to myself to just buy the sticker sheets off bricklink and use them that way. 

we finally get a city school and it looks like that. The school bus doesn’t even have a side door, something they’ve been doing with busses for over 10 years now. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

The more I see of the “larger” sets, the more I say to myself to just buy the sticker sheets off bricklink and use them that way. 

I can recommend the hospital. That was a very nice build and it felt like an actual building.