Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2022 Rumours, Leaks, Information And Discussion

4 hours ago, Maple said:

The 2022 animals are all much smaller and will hopefully be used in sets for years and years to come. The 2021 Safari animals are very theme aimed and large.

The lions and elephants will reappear for sure, and I think the cub & monkey will be new standards too, and appear as recolours and reprints. 

6 hours ago, Maple said:

The 2022 animals are all much smaller and will hopefully be used in sets for years and years to come. The 2021 Safari animals are very theme aimed and large.

Technically, full-grown hrose is not that small but yeah it’s just recolored, not a new mold tho. 

Ocean Exploration subtheme has some large animals (Great White Shark (just recolored shark), manta ray, and anglerfish). 

Let’s wait about the summer subtheme! I just need some new animals to expand my animal kingdom. 

1 hour ago, williejm said:

The lions and elephants will reappear for sure, and I think the cub & monkey will be new standards too, and appear as recolours and reprints. 

Agreed. I think cubs will be recolored as tiger or panther or mount ion lion cubs in future. I dunno about monkeys… that monkeys may not look like chimp but how can they recolor monkeys? 

45 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Let’s wait about the summer subtheme! I just need some new animals to expand my animal kingdom. 

I really wonder what's next, the egg splat piece/mini tractor in the police command truck and the horse transport set really seems to point even moreso to a farm theme with perhaps a horse stable, but that's just a theory that is 100% wishful.

If they do a full farm with cows, a Milk Truck could be cool, there's a lot of Ice Cream this wave.

Also would be cool to see a Fishing boat (with nets, not just anglers), LEGO has a sardine factory on fire after all :D

Another animal related thing could be Forest, as an extension to 60326: Picnic in the Park , and could also be horse riding related (like Friends did forest/squirrels all over 2021 , maybe a good time to have a minifig styled raccoon)

This is just 100% wishful thinking, not a fact of any sort.

Edited by TeriXeri

33 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed. I think cubs will be recolored as tiger or panther or mount ion lion cubs in future. I dunno about monkeys… that monkeys may not look like chimp but how can they recolor monkeys? 

Many, many possible recolours! There are lots of types of monkeys, and that mould could appear in say, black, grey, white, all the browns, oranges, tans etc - with varying face colours. Like it could be a black monkey with a dark face like a Spider monkey, or a even a blue faced ‘golden’ snub nose monkey.  

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I really wonder what's next, the egg splat piece/mini tractor in the police command truck and the horse transport set really seems to point even moreso to a farm theme with perhaps a horse stable, but that's just a theory that is 100% wishful.

If they do a full farm with cows, a Milk Truck could be cool, there's a lot of Ice Cream this wave.

Also would be cool to see a Fishing boat (with nets, not just anglers), LEGO has a sardine factory on fire after all :D

Another animal related thing could be Forest, as an extension to 60326: Picnic in the Park , and could also be horse riding related (like Friends did forest/squirrels all over 2021 , maybe a good time to have a minifig styled raccoon)

Ooo, i haven’t thought of that egg splat until now! You may make a point. And don’t forget - there will be a farm girl with a foal in CMF Series 22. 

I am not sure about fishing industry sets but it would be very cool to see some fisherman’s boat with nets. I want to see some fisherman’s boats one ay.

yeah I do wonder about Forest subtheme too. I noticed some Frinds sets 4 - 5 moths ago. City usually follows Freinds when it comes to subthemes. 

10 minutes ago, williejm said:

Many, many possible recolours! There are lots of types of monkeys, and that mould could appear in say, black, grey, white, all the browns, oranges, tans etc - with varying face colours. Like it could be a black monkey with a dark face like a Spider monkey, or a even a blue faced ‘golden’ snub nose monkey.  

Oh! I completely forgot about Spider monkey, nose monkeys! Ok you are right, many many possiabilies for monkeys for sure. 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Technically, full-grown hrose is not that small but yeah it’s just recolored, not a new mold tho. 

Ocean Exploration subtheme has some large animals (Great White Shark (just recolored shark), manta ray, and anglerfish). 

The anglerfish is used in the Stuntz sets. Unless we get a circus set I don't see the lions being used again anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, Maple said:

The anglerfish is used in the Stuntz sets. Unless we get a circus set I don't see the lions being used again anytime soon.

Well…I’m against circus becuase of animal cruelty. So I don’t see any potential behind circus sets. 

What about zoo sets? 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Well…I’m against circus becuase of animal cruelty. So I don’t see any potential behind circus sets. 

What about zoo sets? 

I agree Circus with wild animals is a very outdated concept, and more and more countries are banning the use of wild animals in them.

Same thing with dolphin / orca in captivity or shows.

Playmobil stopped doing those sets as well I believe, but still has some Zoo sets.

Zoo might work, especially if it's education/preservation focused, but I think having animals in the wild is easier to do in a LEGO set , looking at the Playmobil Zoo sets, there's a lot of material used on walkways/shops and not so much on terrain/animals, but playmobil also has sold seperate sets with animals for decades now.

Duplo is a different story, which has sold many zoos and animals seperately, but in that context, duplo is closer to playmobil, less about building and more larger pieces, but in recent years Duplo has moved to animals being in the wild instead.

Personally I rather see more exploration instead of a zoo, LEGO could still do so many environments, like desert, caves, various mountains and jungles in different contintents, rivers, lakes, seas, islands in more temperate/colder parts of the world etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

What about zoo sets? 

I agree. I do not think LEGO would ever do a circus. Nor should they. a zoo isn't perfect, but a rescue rehab zoo would be fine.

I wound not mind a zoo, but seems unlikely outside Duplo, not even Friends have one yet right?

So to me the the best sub-theme in City would be farm or forest or a combination of the two that Playmobil has and even Friends now have started to release:

Set-5004-front-800x600.jpg

Crazy high number of animals in this set compared to 99,9% of all Lego sets*huh* However the 2 last years I see a really positive trend in Lego sets as well, the winter wave have almost animals in every set and that is the boring police/fire etc sets, so now I have high hopes for the summer wave when we get all the interesting sub-themes :excited:

11 hours ago, Maple said:

I agree. I do not think LEGO would ever do a circus. Nor should they. a zoo isn't perfect, but a rescue rehab zoo would be fine.

Yeah and I agree with @TeriXeri - circus is a very outdated context. I really don’t mind zoo sets - in reality, zoo is meant to educate children. Surely, zoos are just an entertainment for everyone but still, it’s worthy for children to learn. 

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I wound not mind a zoo, but seems unlikely outside Duplo, not even Friends have one yet right?

So to me the the best sub-theme in City would be farm or forest or a combination of the two that Playmobil has and even Friends now have started to release:

Agreed. 

I live near a horrible zoo run by the city and should have been closed years ago. It's why I like rehab zoos.

LEGO really should do a zoo like they do farm, have a set or two every year that fits into that subtheme. Even if it's just a small vehicle with an animal in an inclosure.  Then have a $70-$100 'entrance' set with a gate, a helicopter to catch escaped animals (because every set needs a helicopter), a food stall and gift shop.

Come on LEGO. Make it happen. Watch they do someday then it gets canceled for not meeting 'quality standards'. :pir-laugh:

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I live near a horrible zoo run by the city and should have been closed years ago. It's why I like rehab zoos.

LEGO really should do a zoo like they do farm, have a set or two every year that fits into that subtheme. Even if it's just a small vehicle with an animal in an inclosure.  Then have a $70-$100 'entrance' set with a gate, a helicopter to catch escaped animals (because every set needs a helicopter), a food stall and gift shop.

Come on LEGO. Make it happen. Watch they do someday then it gets canceled for not meeting 'quality standards'. :pir-laugh:

I feel like the challenge of occasional zoo sets like that is context. Without the broader context of a larger zoo, individual animal enclosures would seem out of place. And Lego cycles products much quicker than a company like Playmobil, so only offering one or two sets each year would run into the issue where only maybe three or four of those at best would end up available at the same time, as the older ones retire to make room for newer sets.

I think a more practical strategy, if Lego did decide a zoo would be a good brand fit, would be a single large standalone zoo set ($100–150ish), with maybe two or three large animals (elephant, lion, giraffe etc.) and a handful of smaller animals to round it out. The new "My City" line (with sets such as this year's school and such) could potentially be a good place for that even if not part of a larger subtheme. And if a set like that proved successful, the concept could be recycled every couple of years, or perhaps even expanded to a subtheme.

Now, I don't know if a strategy like that would result in what a lot of folks are hoping for from a zoo subtheme (a large number of new animal releases at once). An individual zoo set that isn't tied to a larger subtheme would likely not have the budget for a bunch of new animal molds on its own—maybe one new animal mold at most and perhaps a few recolors of existing animals. But I think it could work to "test the waters" and potentially pave the way for a subtheme, as well as expanding the availability of some existing animals if we're lucky.

17 hours ago, Maple said:

I dunno, I think it could be possible to have circus sets that focus on stuff other than exotic animals. And in fact, this year's Friends "Magical Funfair" sets were pretty much a fusion of a traveling carnival and a traveling circus — they feature amusement park rides and booth/kiosk type attractions, but also a "big top" style performance venue, magic acts, and acrobatic acts.

Some potential circus-oriented builds that could be incorporated into a set include a flying trapeze, tightrope, high dive, "human cannonball", clown car, trampolines, etc. And characters could include a ringmaster, clowns, strongman, horseback riders, acrobats, jugglers, a unicyclist, popcorn vendor, etc.

If anything, removing the exotic animals also removes one of the features of a circus set or wave that would have likely been be most cost-prohibitive in years past.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I think a more practical strategy, if Lego did decide a zoo would be a good brand fit, would be a single large standalone zoo set ($100–150ish), with maybe two or three large animals (elephant, lion, giraffe etc.) and a handful of smaller animals to round it out. The new "My City" line (with sets such as this year's school and such) could potentially be a good place for that even if not part of a larger subtheme. And if a set like that proved successful, the concept could be recycled every couple of years, or perhaps even expanded to a subtheme.

Something else they could do (which I know the Duplo theme has done in years past) is have two main sets (one focusing on terrestrial animal enclosures and one focusing on aquatic animal enclosures) which can function as a stand-alone zoo or aquarium, but can also be combined.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I dunno, I think it could be possible to have circus sets that focus on stuff other than exotic animals. And in fact, this year's Friends "Magical Funfair" sets were pretty much a fusion of a traveling carnival and a traveling circus — they feature amusement park rides and booth/kiosk type attractions, but also a "big top" style performance venue, magic acts, and acrobatic acts.

Same with Stuntz, even has a clown and flaming hoops. 

I think people were mostly meaning sets  which would be putting elephant on a barrel or lion tamer , or an orca show for example, and even Playmobil doesn't do such sets anymore.

Most of the stories I read from countries/states that banned wild animals from circus, don't mean domesticated dog/donkey/horses etc so I think those are fine, LEGO after all has horse jumping and police and sled dogs. 

Petting Zoo is another subject, I think the best way to do that would be something like a duck pond with a mix of ducks/swan/goose , perhaps a peacock pair, some goat / donkey / sheep type of animal, maybe a pony horse, it would be more like a mix of Farm/Garden/Park.

Edited by TeriXeri

52 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Petting Zoo is another subject, I think the best way to do that would be something like a duck pond with a mix of ducks/swan/goose , perhaps a peacock pair, some goat / donkey / sheep type of animal, maybe a pony horse, it would be more like a mix of Farm/Garden/Park.

Yeah you made a good point. But not only a petting zoo. when I was a kid, I went to the annual autumnal fair and they had petting animals that directly come from farms. I remember that I did pet goats, pigs, cows, and horses inside the stables at the fair.  So I think farm animals at a petting zoo sounds pretty neat (add some poops, of course). 

Duck is long overdue. We really need duck mold! And swan and goose are needed mostly as well. 

I remember some circus or whatever rit is has Jurasic World theme. They used puppets as dinosaurs since circus no longer use wild animals to entertain audience. 

But I think it’s are to have circus sets that includes human cannonball, clown car, high dive, etc etc without any aniamls in it. 

Should zoo happen, it would be probably a big set with maybe three enclosures and a zoo entrance, and then smaller sets each with one enclosure, or a feature such as an aquarium or reptile house.  I'd love to see it but the chances are insanely slim.

5 hours ago, *thomas* said:

Lot's of instant buys for me (which hasn't happened in a long time).

Crane is a remake of this gorgeous set:

[1489_brickset.jpg

Oh wow! I guess City for some reason felt the need to revive what once was in the classic town era. 

Yep. Still hate that yellow.

I don't like the neon yellow or it with the teal, but I do appreciate that LEGO is making European inspired vehicles.

Liking the kids playground polybag, 

but what are they doing with these great vehicles sets, the helicopter transport, looks like a nice medical helicopter and would have been good on it's own, but no they decide it needs to be transported on a truck.....but look at it.....I'm getting tired of the lack of design that goes into the trailer for the truck, it's just like they ran out of parts and motivation.

It was the same with the Jet transport last year.  Why does it need a set of wheels at the front of the trailer?  It's not exactly heavy haulage, it has to fly....makes the truck harder to turn as the wheels are fixed.  They must think it adds some play value for the age group of the sets?  but I don't understand it.

Crane is ok as well, maybe a little oversized for my liking, but it's ok.  And Iike the way they are adding a road plate with each set so you can build a city.  The Sardine factory is a cool idea, maybe would have been better without the fire element of it.

Edited by paul_delahaye

I still like the Police Station design, even after that video shows how small it is (at least in terms of interior), however, it feels more like a whole compared to the  €100 2020 station , and this is €60, so probably under €40 with discount which will be nice for it's purpose, the garbage truck that comes with it is pretty cool as well.

Getting a Chief Wheeler and Daisy Kaboom is a good extra.

(I'm not going to compare this set to the police stations from 2017  or earlier as those were obviously bigger)

Size/style wise it reminds me most of the 1980s Town Police stations, with a baseplate driveway, a helipad and a small office+jail.

Edited by TeriXeri

The new neon yellow is just terrible. It actually hurts my eyes when I see much of this colour, like in this uninspired and lazy helicopter transport.

15 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I still like the Police Station design, even after that video shows how small it is (at least in terms of interior), however, it feels more like a whole compared to the  €100 2020 station , and this is €60, so probably under €40 with discount which will be nice for it's purpose, the garbage truck that comes with it is pretty cool as well.

Getting a Chief Wheeler and Daisy Kaboom is a good extra.

(I'm not going to compare this set to the police stations from 2017  or earlier as those were obviously bigger)

Size/style wise it reminds me most of the 1980s Town Police stations, with a baseplate driveway, a helipad and a small office+jail.

I think I like the design of all the buildings that will be released this coming year. Especially the bank building. Thing is, I expect that kind of stuff from City because it's a theme that specializes in simple - straight to the point type of sets. Be upset if these were supposed to be modulars - which are supposed to cater to adults. 

Edited by Poodabricks