Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 43114 Punk Pirate Ship

Another review on Vidiyo sets from me, this time we take a look at 43114 Punk Pirate Ship:

THE GOOD:

• The pirate ship stage looks excellent.
  • The building experience is interesting to keep me engaged.
  • Excellent selections of minifigures.
  • Love the drummer set up.
  • Great with the details in the backstage area.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• Hard to find something that needed to highlight that is not so good, personally may be a place for mic stand?
  • Could be cheaper but then you often get discount of Vidiyo so eventually not really an issue.

This is another good set in my opinion.  No matter whether this theme is a success or not, the sets in this wave so far are pretty good in my opinion.  This pirate ship does look good with great minifigures.  And it's totally feasible as well.  (I have seen actual sound stage looks like this). With matching decorations in the background, you can indeed create a customer summer music festival.  Pricing often being brought up with Vidiyo sets but with a 15%~25% often, and the overall satisfaction after building it, pricing no longer relevant in my opinion.  I totally recommend this set to everyone, I'm not a fan of Vidiyo itself and bought this purely based on the look but so far, I'm really happy with sets I bought so far.

I disagree. It's the one of the "real" VIDIYO sets I can't quite convince myself to buy. Would love to have the minifigs, but I really dislike those big ship bow pieces and how flat the ship is overall. It just doesn't have enough bulk and asking 70 Euro for that is just ridiculous. Even if you take discounts into account it feels massively overpriced for what little it offers.

Mylenium

Yeah, was expecting this one to be cheaper. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for a discount on it (if I decide to buy it). Gotta take every chance on getting a pirate-themed set. :grin:

Yikes, yeah had no idea it cost that much, hell for a few more doubloons, you could pick up the creator 3in1 pirate ship, now that's a great set.

I also will be looking for a discount though since I too enjoy all things pirate themed.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Mylenium said:

I disagree. It's the one of the "real" VIDIYO sets I can't quite convince myself to buy. Would love to have the minifigs, but I really dislike those big ship bow pieces and how flat the ship is overall. It just doesn't have enough bulk and asking 70 Euro for that is just ridiculous. Even if you take discounts into account it feels massively overpriced for what little it offers.

Understandable.  I guess in terms of discount, it depends on how much you get.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:17 AM, Jack Sassy said:

Yeah, was expecting this one to be cheaper. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for a discount on it (if I decide to buy it). Gotta take every chance on getting a pirate-themed set.

yes, in general vidiyo are expensive.

6 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Yikes, yeah had no idea it cost that much, hell for a few more doubloons, you could pick up the creator 3in1 pirate ship, now that's a great set.

yup, the 3in1 pirate ship is one great set.

I bought this set yesterday in my local supermarket, where all the new Vidiyo sets are at half price. 

So I will not speak about the price, but the buiilding experience. 

Unlike Pchan1983 I am not impressed by the set. But admittingly, as the app dont work on my Android phone, I cant use the set as it is intended. 

The build is intricate, with many nice details, but the overall look of the ship/stage is mostly just confusing. What I dislike most in these sets, are the giant loudspeakers, that destroy any elegance the set could have had. 

And the back of the stage is strange - why the surfboard? And why a treasure chest - instead of a microwave for the pizza? 

Its like the set cant agree if it want to be mostly a pirate ship, or mostly a music stage. 

The Squid minifig is very nice, but I dont really like the Shark and (male?) Mermaid minifigs. 

One thing that is better than the car (43112) is the sharkhead/cranium, which looks more integrated than the would-be Brickhead did on the car. 

I know, that I am not the intended target customer for this line, so what I think of the set dont mean anything, but I am nevertheless disappointed - I do think, the sets in this line could have been designed better. 

On 7/12/2021 at 4:06 AM, ArneNielsen said:

Its like the set cant agree if it want to be mostly a pirate ship, or mostly a music stage. 

I think they intended to be a mixture of it.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:06 AM, ArneNielsen said:

The Squid minifig is very nice, but I dont really like the Shark and (male?) Mermaid minifigs. 

yes, and I like the idea of the squid playing drum.  The torso of the shark and mermaid have very nice printing though.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:26 AM, Lego-fire said:

Love the set, but why can’t the drummer play drums on the actual drum set

hmm I wonder if this can happen in the same scale.  might worth a try.