Polarlicht

Lego 10290 Pickup Truck

As a minifig GWP truck this would've been a dream come true, because I'm really doubtful that City will get ever vintage vehicles (no matter if it's for a farm subtheme or old police cars). However at this scale I find the proportions of the driver's cabin really odd; the roof seems too thick in relation to the windshield. This disturbs the whole appearance for me greatly.

45 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

As a minifig GWP truck this would've been a dream come true, because I'm really doubtful that City will get ever vintage vehicles (no matter if it's for a farm subtheme or old police cars). However at this scale I find the proportions of the driver's cabin really odd; the roof seems too thick in relation to the windshield. This disturbs the whole appearance for me greatly.

There was a VW Campervan in 4207 Town Garage from 2012, but otherwise I can’t think of anything.  Definitely not since the transition to 6 wide cars.

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

So many Farm teasers in this set (especially Milk) , hopefully City will go minifig farm next year then.

Or is this a hint for the A NICE DAY AT THE FARM ideas set in review ? 

webp

Remember the Fiat 500 (March 2020) had a Colosseum (November 2020) in the background.

Yes few more farm-theme sets this year, indeed. This Pickup Truck and Mickey & Donald’s Farm sets. 

I am hoping for City’s Farming subtheme next year too. 

You may be right about a hint to that IDEA.

Speaking of Fiat 500, is that vehicle licensed or just unlicensed? 

8 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Speaking of Fiat 500, is that vehicle licensed or just unlicensed? 

It's licensed.

4 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

It's licensed.

Ok thanks.. well I don’t have any problme with unlicensed pickup truck. I just like the way it looks. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

I really hope the wheels are rim 56904 and a new tire! These new tires would be great to get some duallys on the Technic Mack and Tow truck

They are size 49.5x14 while the ones we have since years are 49.5x20

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Is it me or is the sticker on the doors pasted on multiple bricks? I thought Lego stopped doing that...

At first glance it almost looks like that, but looking closer I think it's on a 1x4x2 panel, connected to the curved slopes above and below with SNOT brackets. You can see in some of the close-ups that the borders of the sticker don't reach the edges of the panel and that the "seam" between the brackets doesn't reach the edge of the sticker.

Love it! Looking forward to getting this one. And I don't see what a license could improve here.

8 hours ago, Citromon said:

And I don't see what a license could improve here.

I agree.  The lack of a license could also help avoid unnecessary criticism.  It's a nice pickup truck that doesn't have to look like a specific model to be enjoyed.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:39 PM, icm said:

Looking at the pictures closely, I think the big innovation in this model is in the door hinges. There's a fancy interior linkage that allows the doors to open and close without a seam at the back or external hinges at the front. ALL previous Creator Expert vehicles have had front door hinges that are visible outside the model, whereas real car door hinges are not. That's a real advance in building techniques. As for the subject matter, it's not quite my own little red pickup truck so I'm not feeling too excited about it. It's great that Lego has decided they can do Creator Expert vehicles without a license, for that old-school unlicensed Lego spirit, but I also really like the licensed vehicles. The challenge of recreating a licensed vehicle usually spurs Lego designers to really amazingly creative building solutions. There's some fun upside down building on the fenders here, but I don't see any truly gonzo out-of-the-box design techniques in the bodywork, besides the door hinges. Still, I'm really looking forward to the Brickset review and YouTube speed builds of this set once it comes out.

Indeed the door opening mechanism might be the only interesting building technique used in this set: no crazy angles or weird connections like in 10265 or 10295. The downside of this clever technique for the doors is that lots of space is required inside the cabin. To be honest I have never cared about visible door hinges as long as there are other details or proportions that look totally off like in 10262. This time it is the complete roof sections that kills the look for me. The whole top of the car (windhshields, roof) looks to angular and not really smooth. The different slopes and curved slopes for the frontline of the roof do not look too good either. Apart from that it is a nice looking model.

1 hour ago, eric_son_of_joseph said:

I agree.  The lack of a license could also help avoid unnecessary criticism.  It's a nice pickup truck that doesn't have to look like a specific model to be enjoyed.

I do see a problem here. Alternative brands are very often criticised for releasing non-licensed car models. I do not need a license at all but this being a 18+ set and even LEGO speaking of  a "faithful LEGO model version of a vintage 1950s farm pickup truck" the lack of a license feels a little strange. I mean this model is much closer to the Ford F-100 from the 50s than 10252 is compared to a VW Beetle or the 10262 compared to the Aston Martin DB5.

Edited by brickphisto
typo

In fact, the new tires would make older models look more authentic!

Here's a size comparison. The yellow rim is the one with the new tire.
51282750443_563975e3fe_k.jpg

51282750588_d87449f905_k.jpg

42070 Mack Anthem (2018):
51282999123_459c1bfdcf_k.jpg

51282080417_2cdb654f22_k.jpg

51282080337_850d9ab4de_k.jpg

10274 Ecto-1 (2020):
51282080872_455f84b94b_k.jpg

51283848615_01df9b32a5_k.jpg

10252 VW Beetle (2016):
51286957899_e508876f95_k.jpg

51285492957_45341a009f_k.jpg

21307 Caterham Seven (2016):
51286411253_dd829dd975_k.jpg

4 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Not to mention how they would look on the 42128. I need a ton of those.

My thoughts exactly, but some modding may be necessary – the wide wheel is only 1.5, not 2 times wider than the narrow one. From what I can tell, simply replacing the wide wheel with 2 narrow ones will leave them sticking out about 3/4 of a stud. It looks like you can make the middle axle 1 stud narrower on each side, but the assembly behind the rearmost wheel seems to be the main thing to work around:

1000x800p.jpg?1625250742.3930192

I will get this set for the dark red parts, the new wheels and of course to see what else I can build with it. :grin: I agree though that it doesn't look so technically advanced as some of the other Expert models and that the windscreen/ roof section in particular looks off. I don't mind that it's not a licensed set and I am confident it will get a lot of attention anyway considering the popularity of some of my pickup alternates (which are quite generic as well). Thought I share them here for comparison and who knows, someone might actually prefer one over the official model...

Vintage Pickup from the 10252 Beetle:

IMG_8496-1067x800.jpg 

Pickup Truck from the 10265 Mustang:

IMG_8420-1067x800.jpg

Classic Pickup from the 10271 Fiat 500:

IMG_8721-1067x800.jpg

I've started building an extra Milk Pail with pieces ordered from Bricklink.:grin:
I've obtained the 3x3 dome and the rest should come very soon.

They just announced the 10279 VW T2, which uses the same wheels and some 3l white frictionless pins (1l pin, 2l axle) for the front axle wheels. Seen them in @Sariels speedbuild, but he didn't mention them.

Maybe they will also be in the pickup?

On 7/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, williejm said:

Oooh - parsnips!

Great idea for a new color for the carrot piece!

And I like how the Tomatoes are made too!

Thank you very much for the pics, @Coolusername! :classic:

I normally do not buy any of these big vehicles since they aren't of any use for my Lego city. But this model is that sort of lovely built with so many nice details and without any license that I plan to buy it nevertheless. :wub:

On 7/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, eric_son_of_joseph said:

Totally agree !  It doesn’t have to carry a famous brand name to be a “good set”. The name does not make the set suddenly a good set. This truck is cute and whimsical, and I love the model with the wood panels and all the extras for the four different seasons !

Great set, and because of the “missing” name it will be more friendly priced as well; so we all can win here… :classic:

It will be a first day buy for me, and I think much more enjoyable than the big London Bus for instance…

Edited by Wimmer
Spelling