Sign in to follow this  
Gabor

[MOC] RC Minifig Scaled Lego Flixbus

Hi everyone!

I´m happy that I can present my newest creation! It´s the next piece of my minifig scaled RC collection. This time I decided to build a Flixbus. After Flixbus bought the rivalry Eurolines, it became maybe the cheapest way for poor students from Hungary (or not only from Hungary) to travel across Europe. At least for me it was the perfect method at that time! Hope you like it!

Unfortunately the last time I travelled somewhere by a Flixbus was in August 2019. But hopefully it will change in the near future!

Flixbus came often in the middle of the night, just as the Knight Bus did in Harry Potter. That´s why it stands on the destination screen :classic:

Before you start reading about the boring technical facts and irritating things during the building period, please watch the video!

It took approx 4 months long to build the bus. It´s not the first tiny RC I build. Despite of it I can´t say it didn´t challenge me. Yes, I´m speaking about the lettering and arrows on the sides. Maybe you still remember of the Milka Truck. That lettering has only vertical or horizontal building techniques. That´s why it was possible to do the lettering on each side only 1 stud deep. It was important, because it allowed to put the battery box (the biggest and most inflexible element) between the two walls and staying with the width in 6 studs at the same time. But “FLIXBUS” is more difficult. It is also not always possible to have stud connections (for example letter X, or the diagonal arrows). In this case the letters have to have inside some bigger parts on them, which simply doesn’t allow them to fall out. It means it stays only a two-stud wide space in the middle. That’s enough for the technic chassis, but not for the batteries. And also not for the motors… So only the half of the lengths stayed for the functional parts.

For the steering and propulsion I stole the method from the Milka truck (with vertical motors), where they´ve already proven, that they work really well. The only possible (long enough) space for the battery box was at the back. Fortunately right above the driven wheels. They need the weight on them to increase the friction between the tires and the street. Another positive feature is, that the Sbrick is small enough to be above the letters, so I didn´t have to make the whole bus longer.

Another part of the challenge was to create the diagonal white lines on the front. There was almost nothing inside, which they could be attached to. The reason is, that the moving parts of the steering are there, so it´s simply impossible to put there any other parts without disablement of the steering. Other reason is, that the upside-down parts of the front have already used the space there. At the end I decided to use the rubber bands, without being irritated by the fact, that it´s possible to see them outside, too.

The bus has three axles. The third one is again an axle with some kind of fake suspension. It is just hanging there and doesn´t hold anything, so in theory it can never happen, that the driven wheels leave the ground. Please notice the detail that there are brackets instead of plates on the top of the third mudguards. It creates a bit bigger space in the mudguard for the wheels with the fake suspension. It means, that the bus can win against bigger obstructions.

51280141020_c341db2cab_c.jpg51279119421_2cec46bb47_c.jpg51280142390_c7e1b1f24c_c.jpg51279120646_5d54a1eae5_c.jpg51280139435_a20807fbd1_c.jpg51279287663_e0de33f485_c.jpg51278369432_6b6f482a2d_c.jpg

All in all I really enjoyed working on the bus. Hope you like the result, too! Thanks for watching and reading! :classic:

Feel free to visit my Photostream on Flickr, to see some of my other creations: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gabor_horvath/

Edited by Gabor

Brilliant work, to fit RC functions into a 6-wide build is incredible, and the details on the build are very well done, especially considering the difficulty presented by having RC functions included.

Wow, what an amazing build! You make those letters and arrows look perfect! And it even has steering, what can I say, great build! 

On 6/30/2021 at 8:18 AM, Stuartn said:

Brilliant work, to fit RC functions into a 6-wide build is incredible, and the details on the build are very well done, especially considering the difficulty presented by having RC functions included.

Thanks! 

On 6/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, jpx said:

Wow, what an amazing build! You make those letters and arrows look perfect! And it even has steering, what can I say, great build! 

Thank you!