Operacion Saturno

LEGO IDEAS Classic Space PERMANENT PLANETARY STATION

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/43814e85-ead4-46d0-886c-b024d6156756

2800 piece Space Base

The base is composed of four modules: Vehicle Hangar, Habitation quarters, Command center, Lab module.
Click the link for more images.

I tried to upload an image, but won't let me.

Edited by Operacion Saturno
ridiculous small picture size

Perfect. Not too big as to be unrealistic, has tons of windscreens in the colors I want, and has all the ground vehicles and even mechs covered.

Supported!

Certainly a great take on Classic Space, maybe a bit too modern and rounded for my taste but still supported , because as a ground base set it's very complete and detailed :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

10 hours ago, danth said:

Perfect. Not too big as to be unrealistic, has tons of windscreens in the colors I want, and has all the ground vehicles and even mechs covered.

Supported!

Great to hear that. please spread the word about this creation

9 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Certainly a great take on Classic Space, maybe a bit too modern and rounded for my taste but still supported , because as a ground base set it's very complete and detailed :thumbup:

I love the boxy designs in Classic Space like the mobile base in the All Terrain Vehicle or the base of the Apha-1 rocket base, but in Lego ideas, the community tends to support innovating and modern designs. So I give it a try.

Please share this idea with your friends.

This is very neat!

A part of me does wish the base were a little more elaborate and landscaped, sort of like how the bases of Pirates of Barracuda Bay or the Tree House were. The classic crater bases may be no more, but these days I feel like it's possible to make an even more dynamic "lunar surface" with bricks and slopes (and consequently help justify the bulky off-road wheels of various rovers).

On 7/9/2021 at 9:26 AM, Lyichir said:

This is very neat!

A part of me does wish the base were a little more elaborate and landscaped, sort of like how the bases of Pirates of Barracuda Bay or the Tree House were. The classic crater bases may be no more, but these days I feel like it's possible to make an even more dynamic "lunar surface" with bricks and slopes (and consequently help justify the bulky off-road wheels of various rovers).

You are not the first person to point this out and you are right.

After doing some math, I found a way to make the base more "landscaped" The toll would be 50 to 100 more pieces, but it will still be below the 3000 pieces limit.

I plan releasing images of this version when supports reach 1K. This way, it gives me time to review the changes and improve the design without compromising the rest of the features of the project.

And who says Crater baseplates are no more? Wouldn't be nice to have a new crater baseplate with studs on the big crater like the one included in the 90s Aquasharks base?

39 minutes ago, Operacion Saturno said:

You are not the first person to point this out and you are right.

After doing some math, I found a way to make the base more "landscaped" The toll would be 50 to 100 more pieces, but it will still be below the 3000 pieces limit.

I plan releasing images of this version when supports reach 1K. This way, it gives me time to review the changes and improve the design without compromising the rest of the features of the project.

And who says Crater baseplates are no more? Wouldn't be nice to have a new crater baseplate with studs on the big crater like the one included in the 90s Aquasharks base?

If a part hasn't been used in that long, it's usually a pretty safe assumption that it isn't going to come back. Raised baseplates in general were last used ten years ago and the crater baseplate specifically last appeared 25 whole years ago (in one of my earliest Lego sets, 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave). With a much wider variety of slopes, tiles and other parts that can be used in landscaping today, I expect you'd sooner see that sort of thing brick-built than for Lego to bring back a very specialized molded part like that.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Lyichir said:

If a part hasn't been used in that long, it's usually a pretty safe assumption that it isn't going to come back. Raised baseplates in general were last used ten years ago and the crater baseplate specifically last appeared 25 whole years ago (in one of my earliest Lego sets, 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave). With a much wider variety of slopes, tiles and other parts that can be used in landscaping today, I expect you'd sooner see that sort of thing brick-built than for Lego to bring back a very specialized molded part like that.

hmm Just for a quick example, The 2573 giant hard plastic wheel was introduced in 1990 in the Mega Core Magnetizer and was brought back after 12 years in the 2002 imperial star destroyer and I'm sure there are pieces with longer gaps. Other pieces have evolved into new molds like the 3939 Slope 33 6x3 into the 58181. So we can never assure a piece is dead.

If I'm going to post an upgrade, I'll post something worth the effort. Something fans will like, not just something done in a hurry. I need time to design something interesting that would make the base look better.

I can't post upgrades at least for another 40 days. The last time I tried, with the maintenance module, to post an upgrade 60 days after I initially post it and didn't let me. If things continue as they have been, tomorrow, I'll surpass the 500 supports and I hope to reach the first 1000 in around a month and a half (I hope so), More than enough time to make a descent upgrade.

It would be cool to see a brick-built tribute to the old crater plates. Heck, it's probably been done. Regardless, it would be super cool to see in an IDEAS throw-back set.

EDIT:

That's just one of many ways to do it. I'd rather see some larger curved pieces for the slope and round pieces for the crater itself. And maybe on large plates instead of a baseplate since Lego seems even averse to those lately.

Edited by danth

On 7/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, danth said:

It would be cool to see a brick-built tribute to the old crater plates. Heck, it's probably been done. Regardless, it would be super cool to see in an IDEAS throw-back set.

EDIT:

That's just one of many ways to do it. I'd rather see some larger curved pieces for the slope and round pieces for the crater itself. And maybe on large plates instead of a baseplate since Lego seems even averse to those lately.

I already got mostly solved this crater plate issue in a positive way. I'll still need to fix some details, but looks good so far. Only one thing, the baseplate would be Tan color and the craters would be brown color to be able to stand out from the base itself.

In a few days, the project will reach 1000 supports. 
I will try to upload the craterplate version. I hope the site lets me upload.

10 hours ago, Celloguy said:

Fantastic design! I was supporter 1001!

Thank you so much for your support. I already supported your Pods months ago. I love them, specially the red M:tron like one. Great design they look so slick and curved.
You could add legs and arms or make a robot body, like an add-on and use the pod as the head or cabin of the robot! The pods remain the same, you are just adding another feature.
I'm going to start rendering the last images of the crater plate version of the base to keep my word and upload the new images.

Very cool project, I supported it right away. Too bad it will never get approved, though... Best case scenario, we might only get it as a Bricklink Design program set. 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, danth said:

Any update on the crater plates?

I uploaded the new images on Lego Ideas yesterday. I'm waiting to be approved.
I would upload a preview here, but my account is filled with old images I can't delete so I can't even upload an icon.

11 hours ago, Lego David said:

Very cool project, I supported it right away. Too bad it will never get approved, though... Best case scenario, we might only get it as a Bricklink Design program set. 

I did it to homage Classic Space and for Lego to reconsider a reboot of Classic Space.
Many successful thing in life were not meant to be done, but they exist and are amazing.
You can't win the lottery if you don't buy first a ticket.
Be more positive.

9 hours ago, Operacion Saturno said:

You can't win the lottery if you don't buy first a ticket.
Be more positive.

I am not saying we shouldn't attempt any Classic Space projects at all, but I wouldn't be putting my hopes up for them being approved, because as far as I can see, LEGO Ideas is interested in other things. But the more of those projects we get, the more LEGO realizes the demand there is for more Classic Space, so there is that.

16 hours ago, Lego David said:

I am not saying we shouldn't attempt any Classic Space projects at all, but I wouldn't be putting my hopes up for them being approved, because as far as I can see, LEGO Ideas is interested in other things. But the more of those projects we get, the more LEGO realizes the demand there is for more Classic Space, so there is that.

Fingers cross

The upgrade is ready