Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL - Ch IV - Cat A] Priorities!

When Archduke Oldis returned to Kings Port, he toured the city to view the damage from Oleon’s assault. The citizens saw Oldis as stoic, and he exuded a calm that gave them confidence that they would be able to rebuild.

But Oldis’s mind was elsewhere. When he finally returned to his main palace, he was quite distraught over the damage to his opulent home, particularly the main ballroom. There was extensive smoke damage around the windows, floor tiles were chipped, upholstery ruined, and the chandelier would need extensive repairs. The people could clear the rubble from the streets and their simple homes, but Oldis would call on artisans and workers of all skill levels to restore his palace to its former glory!

01full.jpg

Oldis oversaw the repairs personally, directing the foreman with detailed instructions. The foreman was just happy Oldis didn’t blame him for the damage!

02oldis_close.jpg

Here a worker scrubs the smoke from the walls and windows…

04window_and_bench.jpg

…while a journeyman upholsterer sets about repairing the window seats.

04bench.jpg

A tiling master removes broken tiles in the ballroom’s intricate floor design and replaces them seamlessly.

06tile.jpg

The chandelier was fixing up easier than the craftsman had expected, but reaching some of those tight spots was difficult.

03chandelier.jpg

He just hoped nothing dropped on Oldis below!

02ya-frame_wide.jpg

Oldis did not forget about the people who fought to save Kingsport. He made sure a militiaman injured in the war had a job sweeping up debris.

07sweep.jpg

Soon the palace would be returned to its former glory, but Oldis would not rest easy until his gilded living conditions were restored.

- - - - - - - - - -

A build in support of Archduke Oldis. :pir-grin:

- - - - - - - - - -

Here’s the build without minifigs and such:

08full_empty.jpg

And a view of the floor design:

09above2.jpg

This started as just an experiment with what designs I could make with some of the new wedge plates and tiles, and grew from there into a way to show how Oldis is “a man of the people.” :pir-grin:

All C&C welcome.

A really impressive build. Very appropriate for a government palace. I particularly like the effect of the smoke scrubbing. Really works well!

That is a really neat ballroom. Obviously the floor pattern is nice, and I really like all the other details like the window seats and the chandelier. And the gold elements. :grin:

It's also a great idea for a build, and the smoky section being scrubbed looks convincing. The various workmen help to fill out the scene. I like it.

The floor, the long gallery and the chandelier look fantastic.

Really neat floor pattern here, and the repair work brings some nice activity to the scene too!

Wow what a great build. Very fine floor desing, must have costed you some puzzling i reckon!

What a beautiful build! Like the others said, the pattern on the floor is wonderfully designed. I love how you show the different aspects of the restorations, with plenty of detail to make the scene come to life. Very well done!

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 10:25 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

What a fantastic floor!

I'm happy the floor design came out as well as it did.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 10:33 AM, Faladrin said:

A nice palace !

The use of those new wedges is excllent !

Great build ! :thumbup:

I just had to play around with those new pieces. I have a couple other floor designs I hope to use in future builds.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 10:49 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A really impressive build. Very appropriate for a government palace. I particularly like the effect of the smoke scrubbing. Really works well!

I used the scrubbing in another build where workers were whitewashing a building and I thought it would work here, too.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 11:36 AM, Captain Dee said:

That is a really neat ballroom. Obviously the floor pattern is nice, and I really like all the other details like the window seats and the chandelier. And the gold elements. :grin:

It's also a great idea for a build, and the smoky section being scrubbed looks convincing. The various workmen help to fill out the scene. I like it.

I thought of you as I scrounged for gold elements I could use in this build! :pir-grin: 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 11:51 AM, NOD said:

The floor, the long gallery and the chandelier look fantastic.

The chandelier was a happy accident during design. I just happened to have a couple of those waterwheel pieces and they wound up forming the main element. And the bottom is actually the top of a tower of another build!

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 10:01 AM, Kai NRG said:

Really neat floor pattern here, and the repair work brings some nice activity to the scene too!

Yes, the workmen really bring this scene to life, IMO.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 12:20 PM, Kwatchi said:

As others have said, that tile floor is gorgeous.

Thanks!

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 1:40 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Gorgeous floor....

Spoilt rich brat !

Gotta keep Oldis in character! :pir-grin:

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 3:27 PM, Fraunces said:

Wow what a great build. Very fine floor desing, must have costed you some puzzling i reckon!

Puzzling about with the design was my favorite part of this!

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 3:29 PM, Khorne said:

What a beautiful build! Like the others said, the pattern on the floor is wonderfully designed. I love how you show the different aspects of the restorations, with plenty of detail to make the scene come to life. Very well done!

Thanks! I actually had some more workers but removed them because it made the scene too busy, but you can see evidence of them nonetheless. The ladder on the left was for someone that was supposed to be cleaning the tarnished railing, and the sawhorses in the back right are for a carpenter who is apparently on a break. :pir_laugh2: