Sign in to follow this  
Samarth

[MOC] TATA 3118 (Indian Truck transporting 'Ice Gel')

Hello everyone,
This is my rendition of an Indian Truck, a TATA 3118. Indian trucks are known to be very colourful, and I wanted my MOC to reflect this. Many of them display logos of luxury cars (Don't know why!) so leaving the Ferrari sticker in there was a conscious design choice.
I have made it modular because the dark red and dark orange you see here is pretty much 90% of the standard bricks that I own in this colour! You don't need a large palette of parts to be creative. I may need to harvest parts in the back for other MOCs and convert this truck to flatbed at some point in future. The patina (old grey) showing worn paint was very much dictated by my limited supply of this colour more than my desire to have an old looking truck!
I have always wanted to find a 'different' use for these 'POLICE' printed bricks I had, and always wanted to use them in a way that either read 'LICE' or 'ICE'. After a lot of racking my brain (a strange combination in creative terms of both wordplay and trying to work within the parts I had) I settled for 'Ice Gel' (which turns out, is an actual product!)
This build came about as we had a friendly buildoff on the LEGO India WhatsApp group. Though it is in model team scale, I managed to stuff in a few technic features as well. I have also included a picture of the real thing for reference. Highlights:
HOG steering
Working i4 piston engine
Retractable rear axle on worm drive
'Ice gel' Logo designed with a printed 'POLICE' brick and brickbuilt lettering (The 'POL' is hidden)
Cheese slope mosaic 'TATA' logo
Hope you all enjoy this build! 

I was thinking, that this will be another boring truck, but I'm really surprised good way.

12 minutes ago, emielroumen said:

What a nice build and an inventive way of using the Police sign!

Ha!  Had to go back and re-read but yes... I like it.  Well done MOC....:thumbup:

I love to see South Asian trucks in Lego!  Such a wonderful, exuberant sense of color and fun.

There are too few stickers and other decorations for an Indian truck :laugh:

On 6/25/2021 at 10:33 PM, Jurss said:

I was thinking, that this will be another boring truck, but I'm really surprised good way.

Thank you! That means a lot to me.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, emielroumen said:

What a nice build and an inventive way of using the Police sign!

Yes! I am very happy with how it came together.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:33 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Ha!  Had to go back and re-read but yes... I like it.  Well done MOC....:thumbup:

On 6/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, mahjqa said:

This is a lovely model of an uncommon type of truck. I really dig it!

On 6/27/2021 at 6:02 AM, Hrafn said:

I love to see South Asian trucks in Lego!  Such a wonderful, exuberant sense of color and fun.

Thank you all!

19 hours ago, Igor1 said:

There are too few stickers and other decorations for an Indian truck :laugh:

I deliberately avoided stickers, they've been done on an Indian truck before (check Indian Lorry Tata 1613 on rebrickable) and I wanted to try my hand at brickbuilt stuff, like the TATA logo, and 'Ice gel'.