This MOC has been sitting on my desk for a while as I finished instructions. This U400 is a modification of my U500 from a couple of months ago.

I think I like this one better.

51269036971_4047bfbed1_b.jpg

Features:

• Steering
  • Four wheel drive
  • Suspension
  • Front and rear PTO
  • Front and rear pneumatic takeoff
  • Front and rear attachment points
  • Three way tipper bed
  • Tipping cab

Instructions are available at Rebrickable.com

51268296492_01b6b7852c_b.jpg

51269036986_c37680c310_b.jpg

51269036996_e301f3ce02_b.jpg

51268296557_b62be5ba6a_b.jpg

I hope you enjoy!

Really cool model - great job. The tipper mechanism tilting is an interesting idea.

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Really cool model - great job. The tipper mechanism tilting is an interesting idea.

Thanks. I have used the tipper mech in a couple of my builds. It works well.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I like all your MOCs but a truck without portal axles can not be called Unimog.

20 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It looks very nice, but as @jorgeopesi said you need portal axles.

Thanks and thanks. I have not found a front portal axle design that works for this scale that keeps the steering movement and axle rigidity at the level I expect for a MOC. I have rebuild a couple of designs by others, and while adding this feature is cool, the rest of the design suffers. So I keep this feature out; it's a tradeoff I am willing to make.

I'll keep working to find a solution, but I haven't found one yet.

@Thirdwigg if is it any help you can use my solutions and test it...since you use those gorgeous rims/tire combo I think I'll keep 1:15 scale (since from 81tractor tires I can not expect to make usefull mods; they seem to narrow for that)

I am sorry if I was hard but IMO the first thing that defines a Technic Unimog must be portal axles even before suspensions.

1 minute ago, jorgeopesi said:

I am sorry if I was hard but IMO the first thing that defines a Technic Unimog must be portal axles even before suspensions.

No I didn't take it that way. No worries.

Shoot, if I would have known what you need, I would have dropped the suspension a long time ago and only include the portal axles. :classic: It's my commitment to suspension that makes adding portal axles so hard. Maybe I should drop the former, so I can have the later. I'm working on a 1:17 U90, and maybe I should make this change.

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

@Thirdwigg if is it any help you can use my solutions and test it...since you use those gorgeous rims/tire combo I think I'll keep 1:15 scale (since from 81tractor tires I can not expect to make usefull mods; they seem to narrow for that)

Thanks. Yeah, we use different tires, so I'll need to make some modifications to your designs to incorporate the ideas.

I confess, I have not tried @MajklSpajkl axles to see if I can incorporate his ideas as well.

You are all right. I should try harder, and get some portals in my Mogs.

Honestly "my" portal axles hub solution is a bit wobble but if I use your wheel / tire combination it would be perfect for 1:15 scale which is just 2 studs wider than current 1:18 (and tires are bit to big for 1:18) but I'll see what I can do with that in future; currently I got some ideas for adding some features to Fastrac...

I like the way to make (almost) all black chassis with tires

All time fan here! :sweet:

I don't really mind the portal axles, this MOC is just perfect for me. Thanks for the instructions, jumping to the cash-register!

11 hours ago, agrof said:

All time fan here! :sweet:

I don't really mind the portal axles, this MOC is just perfect for me. Thanks for the instructions, jumping to the cash-register!

Glad you like it! Thanks for being a fan!

22 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I like the way to make (almost) all black chassis with tires

Yeah, the black really looks clean.