Sebeus I

[WIP] Full Hull Battleship

This project actually started around 9 years ago...

Spoiler

dsc09534.jpg

dsc09544.jpg

So a few weeks ago I began anew. Since I no longer have the ambition to build a Black Pearl I went a little bigger with this one.

img_2196.jpg

I did not use half plate offsets like I did on the previous ship, to keep it simple. This results in the curvature looking a bit rough, especially at bow and aft. Since it's completely black I don't think that will be of much concern.

img_2197.jpg

A brown/reddish brown/dark brown hull is the dream but given the amount of slopes required, it just wouldn't be affordable.

img_2201.jpg

For the superstructure I will recycle my unfinished Lucretia II (second version of Lucretia), the big red one in the back of the picture;

000_shipwips.jpg

That one wasn't going to work out anyway, feel free to disagree but it is my feeling that a prefab hull just isn't suited to support complete double gun deck ships. I won't attempt that again at least.

img_2209.jpg

With a beam of 26 studs and a keel length of 100 studs, this ship will be the biggest one I've ever built. In terms of prefab hull reference she'll be the equivalent of a 9-midsection ship.

Unlike the previous version, there will be no hold interior, the main reason for that is that, because of accessibility issues on a complex ship like this, it would simply be a waste of parts as no one would ever get to see that interior anyway. I decided to use the lower hold area for more structural reinforcements. The whole hull is a shell resting on the keel and supported by a series of bulkheads throughout the length of the ship. I'm currently looking into some weak parts on the aft but for the rest it is pretty sturdy already.

img_2205.jpg

I'm out of SNOT bricks for the moment, to complete the lower bulkheads but the plan is to completely close off the lower hold with the orlop deck (except for a few openings for the masts). While it would be perfectly possible to build interior on the orlop deck, I won't waste parts on that, given previously mentioned reason. A few planks in the center with a ladder to the gun deck at most.

I haven't decided yet whether there will be 2 or 3 dedicated gun decks, I think she's a bit on the small side to become a 1st rate but we'll see how it evolves.

Edited by Sebeus I

I like the shape of the stern already.
A keel length of 100 studs? That will make the ship almost at 5x1 dimensions.
How many studs do you plan to put between the gun ports?

50 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

I like the shape of the stern already.
A keel length of 100 studs? That will make the ship almost at 5x1 dimensions.
How many studs do you plan to put between the gun ports?

If you consider the bowsprit, yes. A hull length to beam ratio of around 1/4 is good for a heavy battleship.

I plan to have 4 studs spacing between gun ports, that would allow for a single deck broadside of 15 cannon. I did consider a 3-stud spacing, which would allow an gunline counting 18 cannon but it's not my intention to cram in as much cannon as I can :pir-grin:

4 stud spacing is fine. As the ship will have at least 2 dedicated gun decks, that amounts to 60 cannon already. There's some serious firepower coming this way :pir-classic:.

Edited by Sebeus I

So far looks very nice, would be interested seeing how she comes together in the end.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:40 PM, Sebeus I said:

I no longer have the ambition to build a Black Pearl

This sounds rather interesting... :pir-devil:

Wow is that a blast from the past! Great to see her revived. You've got a great shape going already, something seems smoother on this version. :pir-love:

Two decks though? Seems like a missed opportunity. With this size and shape, it seems you could have yourself a sweet lil' post ship with 5 or 6 studs between guns :pir-wink:

:pir-huzzah2:

Dave

It has a nice shape already even it has not the smoothest surface compared to others but I like that you can see it is made from lego and not using prefab pieces as well. So I am confident it will turn out fantastic!

Oooh, love the shape of that hull! With Lego It's always difficult to create a curve along the whole length of the hull but you did a superb job! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this ship!

On 6/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, GeoBrick said:

OHHHH... its going to be a seventy-four?

Perhaps :pir-classic:.

On 6/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, Jack Sassy said:

So far looks very nice, would be interested seeing how she comes together in the end.

This sounds rather interesting... :pir-devil:

I've built one a very long time ago.

5505312305_9d0188974b_c.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 2:23 AM, kurigan said:

Wow is that a blast from the past! Great to see her revived. You've got a great shape going already, something seems smoother on this version. :pir-love:

Two decks though? Seems like a missed opportunity. With this size and shape, it seems you could have yourself a sweet lil' post ship with 5 or 6 studs between guns :pir-wink:

:pir-huzzah2:

Dave

Thanks!

Actually she's less smooth than the previous version, which had half plate offsets as well. But the curve is a lot better.

I want cannons, as much as possible! :cannon:

2 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

I've built one a very long time ago.

Ah, so this was yours. I've browsed few pictures on internet and was interested about source of this one, since there was only a small, unclear image of her available. Very pleasing job, now that I can see her fully. :pir-thumb:

Time for an update :pir-classic:.

The disadvantage of a full hull battle ship is that it keeps tipping over when I'm building away from the central axis. To counter this I made this stand to keep it level.

20231012_173533.jpg

This stand will also be usefull to put the ship on display when it's finished.

20231012_173133.jpg

Now, as for the ship itself...

20231012_173231.jpg

The hold has been closed off. At times I considered having at least a partial interior there but in the end I favored structural integrity. A great number of bulkheads make sure the hull remains sturdy.

On top of the hold we have the orlop deck, rarely seen on MOC ships since it is located below the waterline. 

20231012_173329.jpg

This is the first interior section of the ship. Since I don't know yet what will be visible and what not, I decided to do detail the complete deck.

20231012_173416.jpg

Leaving some space in the rearmost area to anticipate a sturdy foundation of the sterncastle.

20231012_173338.jpg

I will attempt to have some openings on the port side of the ship to allow an insight in the interior.

this will be challenging given the structural needs of this large ship.

20231012_173347.jpg

It'd be a shame not to display this underpresented area of the ship.

20231012_173354.jpg

20231012_173408.jpg

20231012_173106.jpg

The beam was slightly increased to 28 studs, making this ship wider that my Flying Dutchman and so making this my largest ship so far :pir-classic:.

I'm currently considering to maybe add some light functions to the lower area's, it's going to be quite dark in there. Grates may also be a solution there. I don't exactly like the idea of having a battery box to hide away somewhere.

That's it for now, I have most of the ship planned out but feel free to express your idea's and suggestions. enjoy!

Edited by Sebeus I

8 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

The beam was slightly increased to 28 studs, making this ship wider that my Flying Dutchman and so making this my largest ship so far :pir-classic:.

"Go big or go home" as we say in the U.S.

The ship looks great so far, and all the supplies are a nice touch, :)

On 10/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, Sebeus I said:

Time for an update :pir-classic:.

The deck is outstanding! She will be a beautiful battleship in the end. :pir-thumb:

Update time!

I ultimately decided to open up the lower hold again and build a small interior section there.

20231107_065208.jpg

I took out a section on the widest part of the hull, as the concentration of bulkhead is the lowest there. It's still not much but it's something. When I was clicking the gun deck into place, I realized it would be a wasted opportunity not to do anything with the lower hold.

20231107_065114.jpg

Interior on the orlop deck is completed.

20231101_100949.jpg

Near the bow there is the sick bay (or for the dutchies amongst us; De ziekenboeg bevindt zich in de boeg)

20231101_100839.jpg

20231101_100851.jpg

20231101_103813.jpg

coming up next are the gun deck and the start of the walls.

Edited by Sebeus I

On 11/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, Sebeus I said:

De ziekenboeg bevindt zich in de boeg)

Nu snap ik eindelijk waar dit woord vandaan komt...

Nice update! Looking forward to the final build.

On 7/9/2021 at 4:37 AM, Sebeus I said:

You have no idea how nostalgic that picture is! This picture inspired me so much when I was younger! Thank you for that beautiful moc and your current one is going amazing so far!