I have long wanted to make a replica 8880, but here is such a case...

I doubt that will do very close to the original. But at least it is possible to withstand the scale (tires from Defender are great, the width and length will probably be 1 stud more).

732ed8e1dcca.png

0d873ae5f5ea.png

Edited by RazzPinazzo

Such a shame the more recent suspension parts don't have an Ackermann angle or a decent CV joint.

Good luck, keep sharing :)

48 minutes ago, amorti said:

Such a shame the more recent suspension parts don't have an Ackermann angle or a decent CV joint.

Good luck, keep sharing :)

Thank you!)

Ackermann - a question to be solved. But angles of rotation will be very sad.

And unique gearbox shifter in original 8880 hrad enough to repeat

BOLD!!! This may very well be the most popular Technic supercar by OAFOLs out there.  Good Luck.... I know I will be following closely....

By my reading, it is totally allowable to use the old shifter, that wouldn't take away from the overall studlessness.

I think the wheels from one of the newer supercars would be better to get the "modern studless" look than these.

7 minutes ago, ralphie said:

By my reading, it is totally allowable to use the old shifter, that wouldn't take away from the overall studlessness.

I wouldn't use the old shifter, that would be pretty boring. I think upgrading to something more than a 4speed would be a good idea.

Edited by Gray Gear

34 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I think the wheels from one of the newer supercars would be better to get the "modern studless" look than these.

I wouldn't use the old shifter, that would be pretty boring. I think upgrading to something more than a 4speed would be a good idea.

Indeed. And if you insist on keeping the 4-speed gearbox, you could always simply have the changeover catch slide on axle for various positions, it's not hard to do. It might be harder to do it like the original, which had the stick pivoting with a ball-joint though...

Now we're talking :) I built all my childhood models mostly out of 8880 parts, as that was my only big set at the time..

Yeah, Defender tires are almost the same, only 2mm wider. A studless version of the manual 4-speed gearbox is pretty easy to replicate, I just did that in my Willys Jeep alternate of the Defender, exactly inspired by 8880. However, I agree that it could be a good idea to modernize it, but I would suggest instead of adding more speeds, adding maybe a DNR selector and changing the manual shifting to sequential shifting, but not as in the Defender, and not with paddles, but with the gearstick as in Nico's Ford F150. That would be more interesting for me, I have never seen that in other cars.

4 hours ago, RazzPinazzo said:

Ackermann - a question to be solved

That's also quite easy to do with the hubs used in the Defender by connecting a 2L liftarm to the hub.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Действительно. И если вы настаиваете на сохранении 4-ступенчатой коробки передач, вы всегда можете просто установить переключающую защелку на оси для различных положений, это несложно сделать. Это может быть сложнее сделать, как оригинал, у которого ручка вращалась с помощью шарового шарнира ...

I think I have an idea how to make a shifter with ball-joint. But no morr 4 speeds

29 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Now we're talking :) I built all my childhood models mostly out of 8880 parts, as that was my only big set at the time..

Yeah, Defender tires are almost the same, only 2mm wider. A studless version of the manual 4-speed gearbox is pretty easy to replicate, I just did that in my Willys Jeep alternate of the Defender, exactly inspired by 8880. However, I agree that it could be a good idea to modernize it, but I would suggest instead of adding more speeds, adding maybe a DNR selector and changing the manual shifting to sequential shifting, but not as in the Defender, and not with paddles, but with the gearstick as in Nico's Ford F150. That would be more interesting for me, I have never seen that in other cars.

That's also quite easy to do with the hubs used in the Defender by connecting a 2L liftarm to the hub.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I want the gear lever to swing, not slide

Good luck on this build. You are certainly doing one of the most iconic sets, so I hope you can do it justice.

So

I did not know, but technic ball can fit well between two liftarms and It will have 2 degrees of freedom (more precisely even 3)

0f937651389b.jpg

8232ea922735.jpg

And everything would be great if not for the need for gaps (red lines on pic)

95f298e59b8d.jpg

7f336e61d670.png

How about putting a lego rubber band on the bottom distance to act as a spacer/washer?

13 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Как насчет того, чтобы положить резинку лего на нижнюю дистанцию, чтобы она действовала как прокладка / шайба?

Brilliant! In the evening I will try

Go check out my crane instructions here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-72143/SaperPL/mini-mobile-crane/#details (page 85 & 89/step 149 & 158)

I used the small rubber band to make a spacer that's like 1/5~1/6 of a stud where I wanted to precisely position the differential between the floor and the steering shaft above it. But I did that on two axles spread apart, so if you do it on one, the loops may take a bit too much space. But the competition rules allow for non-lego rubber bands, so you may be okay even with something resembling an o-ring, I think.

41 minutes ago, RazzPinazzo said:

And everything would be great if not for the need for gaps (red lines on pic)

This may still be too big, but in general, it's good to know that the One Ring can be used as a spacer that's slightly thinner than a half-bush.

85x85p.jpg?1610892288.2448857

It was used as such recently in the Bird of Paradise set (10289).

This is going to be good! I'd actually forgotten what an absolute beast 8880 was, so glad for the reminder!

I also agree that gear box approach that more speeds doesn't always equal more better - the size of the original gearbox is appropriate to the scale of the car (i.e doesn't make up a third of it!) and it has a mechanical legibility that defines this sets character and that is sorely missing from many later supercars.

A bold choice of model, indeed! You are confronting to a legendary model here, and very complex one, on top of that. Good luck, I will eagerly follow up your progress!

quietly moving on...

569624657bab.jpg

e3a57500c3ca.jpg

I hope the black axles above gearbox will provide H gearshift scheme (more precisely, they will not be allowed to turn on two gears at once)

50 minutes ago, RazzPinazzo said:

<large image removed>

Damn dude, this is starting to look great!

This is turning out really excellent. It's so evocative of the original even with most of the body still to build. I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Current progress

64f8c9581cec.jpg

Chassis, transmission, suspension, steering (except HOG), engine and headlights is done

Edited by RazzPinazzo

a170b9e18b05.jpg

7e7caa894da7.jpg

I can not understand. Everything seems to be clear in size, but body looks like piece of pancake...

Who saw the real 8880? Horizontal windshield is normal? :look:

Upd: oh... I understood!

7dcd06ad3b4f.jpg

A little bit better

I'm not so sure about this one, to be honest. For me it feels a little bit too much of a literal copy. It's not (yet) within the studless build style, it just uses studless parts. The bodywork especially, feels like a literal brick-for-beam replacement... I'd use more panels and flex-axles. I do like the white interior though :)

That said, you certainly get all the points for recognizability ;) and you didn't pick an easy model. And it's good to see the 4 wheel steering working, so keep up the good work :)