Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #1: Mercenaries On the Boreal Express

Zaria took a seat and crossed her legs in a comfortable position. She eyed the snack cart enviously as it trundled down the aisle, wishing she had some spare credits to purchase something from it. She instead discreetly took a brief swig of water from her reusable water bottle before she began looking over the individuals present in the economy car with her, looking for any identifying logos or apparel that would indicate working for a company or organization.

"Steady, everyone. Let us not get too hasty, now." Zaria comments to the group, looking at Yelana more than Soren. "We have a long journey ahead of us. No reason to rush."

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

“Steady, everyone. Let us not get too hasty, now." Zaria comments to the group, looking at Yelana more than Soren. "We have a long journey ahead of us. No reason to rush."

You don’t have to tell me twice. 

Soren was already lying flat on his seat, his jacket bundled up as a pillow and his eyes growing heavy underneath his sunglasses. 

Keep an eye out for anyone looking antsy. 

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria took a seat and crossed her legs in a comfortable position. She eyed the snack cart enviously as it trundled down the aisle, wishing she had some spare credits to purchase something from it. She instead discreetly took a brief swig of water from her reusable water bottle before she began looking over the individuals present in the economy car with her, looking for any identifying logos or apparel that would indicate working for a company or organization.

Zaria notice the dwarf stowing a suitcase is wearing an M-Tec uniform. The gentlemen that Yelana had spotted earlier with the datapad was seated across from them, and directly in between a Thudaal and a Celestial were deep in conversation.

23 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Zaria notice the dwarf stowing a suitcase is wearing an M-Tec uniform. The gentlemen that Yelana had spotted earlier with the datapad was seated across from them, and directly in between a Thudaal and a Celestial were deep in conversation.

Zaria sits back and watches the dwarf stow the suitcase away before moving her attention back to the group.

"I think there's someone from the Thaumaturgical Society on the train with us. She didn't sound too impressed based on what I overheard."

7 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria sits back and watches the dwarf stow the suitcase away before moving her attention back to the group.

"I think there's someone from the Thaumaturgical Society on the train with us. She didn't sound too impressed based on what I overheard."

Soren shifts up into a reclined position.

'Couldn't just be someone here to fix an Ætherspace relay, could she? 

Actually, say, would someone that experienced in live-code be able to help us track down our doppelgangers? We never really got a description or anything.

After considering for a moment, Soren shakes his head. Nah, we probably don't want anyone else snooping too closely in our business.

Sill in thought, Soren waves down a passing attendant for a drink

14 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Actually, say, would someone that experienced in live-code be able to help us track down our doppelgangers? We never really got a description or anything.

After considering for a moment, Soren shakes his head. Nah, we probably don't want anyone else snooping too closely in our business.

Zaria shifted in her seat, putting her hand to her chin in thought. "Maybe, Soren. I overheard the figure stating they were slighted, seemingly angry about something the society was doing. It might have something to do with our current predicament but I am not entirely sure." Zaria, sitting up right, smiled at a curious thought as it entered her mind. "Have you ever been to Ætherspace? Part of me was kind of curious about getting on that other mission just to say I have been there, but then again I would also miss travelling on a train." Zaria ran her hands along the back rest of her seat. "Such an exquisite and expedient way to travel."

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

49077050582_3614c2b503_t.jpg
"What can I get you sir?"

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria shifted in her seat, putting her hand to her chin in thought. "Maybe, Soren. I overheard the figure stating they were slighted, seemingly angry about something the society was doing. It might have something to do with our current predicament but I am not entirely sure." Zaria, sitting up right, smiled at a curious thought as it entered her mind. "Have you ever been to Ætherspace? Part of me was kind of curious about getting on that other mission just to say I have been there, but then again I would also miss travelling on a train." Zaria ran her hands along the back rest of her seat. "Such an exquisite and expedient way to travel."

Everyone’s always angry about something. ‘Remains to see how relevant it is. 

I’ve used the gates for jobs in the past. Did some diving once or twice; wasn’t really my thing. ‘Felt too... exposed. The best way to travel is with a stick in your hands.

...The train ‘s not a bad compromise, however. 

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"What can I get you sir?"

What have you got?

Edited by The Legonater

17 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Everyone’s always angry about something. ‘Remains to see how relevant it is. 

I’ve used the gates for jobs in the past. Did some diving once or twice; wasn’t really my thing. ‘Felt too... exposed. The best way to travel is with a stick in your hands.

...The train ‘s not a bad compromise, however.

"Maybe. It might be information worth nothing to us." Zaria replies. "It might be worth everything. Who knows just yet."

"Again: not one for piloting." She smiled. "I spent so much time travelling around that I didn't really have time to keep up with all that diving and social stuff with aetherspace. I do remember when it was discovered though. It was shortly before I left the monastery and explored my home planet."

18 hours ago, The Legonater said:

What have you got?

"Standard fare, club soda, fizzy water, the hard stuff. If you're looking for food you'll have to try the dining car... Actually, you three look like the type that can handle themselves. I heard some weird noises in the baggage car earlier, if you go take care of whatever's back there I'll make sure you get something to drink that's a bit more substantial."

On 7/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

51280988889_4c048297ed_c.jpg

Yelana surveyed the passengers as she walked down the aisle of the car. 
"Hmmm. . . <Initiate multispectral sensor sweep - Locate any radiation and energy signatures, and scan for comm chatter or transponder beacons.>" 
"<SCANNING. . . >" 

On 7/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, The Legonater said:

You don’t have to tell me twice. 

Soren was already lying flat on his seat, his jacket bundled up as a pillow and his eyes growing heavy underneath his sunglasses. 

Yelana looked at Soren for a moment, then sat down awkwardly beside Zaria. 
"You'd think these seats would be bigger. . ." 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:37 PM, Kintobor said:

Shifting a bit in her seat, Yelana continued to twirl the chopstick. 
"What'd she say? I thought I saw an Elf with their logo - Same person or no?" 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, The Legonater said:

"So, I've been thinking about that. Whoever yoinked our tickets doesn't just know about the device - They also know 'Irgonstead's' exact plan. Remember how he thought he'd already briefed us? I think someone else found out about this mission, got to the depot before we could, then left before we got there. That explains a lot, but unless the Hall has more than one rat problem, I'm not sure how that intel could've gotten out. By the way, I think I may have a lead on that other team. I got a better look at that guy in the hood by the ticket counter - O'Kor'uk, male, I think, and wearing armour. When he walked off, he met up with two others wearing similar cloaks - It could be nothing, but it's a hell of a coincidence." 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

On 7/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, Kintobor said:

Zaria shifted in her seat, putting her hand to her chin in thought. "Maybe, Soren. I overheard the figure stating they were slighted, seemingly angry about something the society was doing. It might have something to do with our current predicament but I am not entirely sure." 

"I mean, IDK - The Society is working with M-Tec on their big PR move - I mean, 'reconstruction efforts' - in Nendara, but if 'Irgonstead' is right and the device actually is from one of Aluriel's moons, I don't know how or why the Society would be directly involved. It's definitely something we should keep an eye on, though." 

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Standard fare, club soda, fizzy water, the hard stuff. If you're looking for food you'll have to try the dining car... Actually, you three look like the type that can handle themselves."

"Yeah. . . About that - My sister always says I'm kind of a lightweight. I'll have a club soda, with three slices of Ki'moor lemon." 

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I heard some weird noises in the baggage car earlier, if you go take care of whatever's back there I'll make sure you get something to drink that's a bit more substantial."

"Oh, you meant. . . right. What kind of noises?
Yelana glanced around the car, slipping the chopstick back into her hair as she did. 
"You know what, we'll check it out - If you send that cute Dwarf over there a drink for me. Whatever he wants. Deal?

OoC: 

Spoiler

Lore note: Ki'moor is one of the Pharsian moons. While no agricultural products are currently being exported, there was enough trade prior to the outbreak of the Plague that Ki'moor lemons are now cultivated on other worlds. 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"So, I've been thinking about that. Whoever yoinked our tickets doesn't just know about the device - They also know 'Irgonstead's' exact plan. Remember how he thought he'd already briefed us? I think someone else found out about this mission, got to the depot before we could, then left before we got there. That explains a lot, but unless the Hall has more than one rat problem, I'm not sure how that intel could've gotten out. By the way, I think I may have a lead on that other team. I got a better look at that guy in the hood by the ticket counter - O'Kor'uk, male, I think, and wearing armour. When he walked off, he met up with two others wearing similar cloaks - It could be nothing, but it's a hell of a coincidence." 

'Could be Irgonstead's problem and not Heroica's - his communications seemed a little busted up.

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Standard fare, club soda, fizzy water, the hard stuff. If you're looking for food you'll have to try the dining car... Actually, you three look like the type that can handle themselves. I heard some weird noises in the baggage car earlier, if you go take care of whatever's back there I'll make sure you get something to drink that's a bit more substantial."

I'll take a fizzy water for the moment. Should probably save the hard stuff for later. 

19 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Maybe. It might be information worth nothing to us." Zaria replies. "It might be worth everything. Who knows just yet."

"Again: not one for piloting." She smiled. "I spent so much time travelling around that I didn't really have time to keep up with all that diving and social stuff with aetherspace. I do remember when it was discovered though. It was shortly before I left the monastery and explored my home planet."

Damn. So you've been out of the monastery for a hot minute, then?

19 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

'Could be Irgonstead's problem and not Heroica's - his communications seemed a little busted up.

"Well, one, 'Irgonstead's' problems are now our problems, so we need to take things a bit more seriously. And two, the only way we knew where to meet 'Irgonstead' was through the posting in the Hall - Either someone else saw it there, or the transmission was intercepted. Remember, 'Irgonstead' isn't that guy's real name, so even if someone knew about the device, they wouldn't know what name the tickets were under." 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"You know what, we'll check it out - If you send that cute Dwarf over there a drink for me. Whatever he wants. Deal?"

Zaria  turned towards the server. "We will handle the situation, and if my associate wishes to do something, she may discuss it with you, sir." Zaria clamped her hands together into a fist as a sign of respect and reverence and bowed slightly in her seat in the direction of the server. "Varuth, I apologize on my associates behalf, she does not know your teachings."

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Shifting a bit in her seat, Yelana continued to twirl the chopstick. 

"What'd she say? I thought I saw an Elf with their logo - Same person or no?"

"She seemed fairly irritable towards the Society. She believed she was being slighted." Zaria replied. "I did not catch much, unfortunately."

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

I'll take a fizzy water for the moment. Should probably save the hard stuff for later. 

Damn. So you've been out of the monastery for a hot minute, then?

"Well," Zaria leans back in thought, "the aetherspace was discovered when I was... one hundred and one. I left the abbey when I was one hundreed and two." Zaria straightens her posture again. "I would return to the abbey on occasion in my travels, staying for a week some times, years on other occasions, but I cannot say that I've had much experience with the aetherspace." Zaria smiles in reminiscence.

8 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria  turned towards the server. "We will handle the situation, and if my associate wishes to do something, she may discuss it with you, sir." Zaria clamped her hands together into a fist as a sign of respect and reverence and bowed slightly in her seat in the direction of the server. "Varuth, I apologize on my associates behalf, she does not know your teachings."

Yelana leaned over towards Zaria and lowered her voice. 
"Uh. . . What was that about? Did I say something I shouldn't have?" 

2 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana leaned over towards Zaria and lowered her voice. 
"Uh. . . What was that about? Did I say something I shouldn't have?"

"Seeing as how you nominated me as the group leader, I would appreciate it if you did not dangle our assistance towards any waitstaff or employee of the train on the condition that they must do as we say. It is obvious this waiter needs our assistance, and we should feel honoured to help him." Zaria smiled in an attempt to lighten the mood. "I have no issues with you sending drinks off to people, but when someone needs help, we do our best to help them, especially when it is someone like him, who helps make other's journeys as memorable as possible."

27 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Seeing as how you nominated me as the group leader, I would appreciate it if you did not dangle our assistance towards any waitstaff or employee of the train on the condition that they must do as we say. It is obvious this waiter needs our assistance, and we should feel honoured to help him." Zaria smiled in an attempt to lighten the mood. "I have no issues with you sending drinks off to people, but when someone needs help, we do our best to help them, especially when it is someone like him, who helps make other's journeys as memorable as possible."

"Oh, I. . . Sorry - You're a traveller, not a spy. I don't actually think he's cute - he looks like the kind of creep who wears orange gardening shoes as a fashion-statement - I just needed a way to start a conversation, since there's a good possibility he's one of our targets. I didn't want to look sus, so I had to make sending the drink over look like a flirty, spur-of-the-moment thing. Sorry I confused you - I didn't mean any disrespect." 

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana surveyed the passengers as she walked down the aisle of the car. 
"Hmmm. . . <Initiate multispectral sensor sweep - Locate any radiation and energy signatures, and scan for comm chatter or transponder beacons.>" 
"<SCANNING. . . >" 

Yelana notes that while her headset enhances her perception of the area, she'd need to upgrade her equipment to pick up the more uncommon signals.

Yelana Perception Check (DC 3): 1, 4, 5, 1, +1 (3 Success)

49076316063_d8d3c4ac66_t.jpg
"...and then I told him he had varkath dung for brains if he thought we could keep that sort of a timeline."

49076844321_8574ff5259_t.jpg
"Ha! It's about time someone brought him back to reality. The project is already underfunded and understaffed."

"Sales, right? They make all the promises, but they never have to do any of the real work."

49076844321_8574ff5259_t.jpg
"You said it! I mean take this train, the engine alone has got to be spec'd for nearly 20 foes, and yet the speed they promised on the brochure is twice what this thing is capable of."

"Marketing, I tell you..."

MM Note: Perception proficiency checks are still limited to Yelana's actual senses. While her visor can enhance this (I'm interpreting it as a reskin of her Farsight Goggles) , it won't be able to pick up on things she doesn't naturally detect like energy signatures or communication frequencies. It's a bit too much of a mechanical advantage for a non-mechanical item, at least for this mission.

5 hours ago, The Legonater said:

"Yeah. . . About that - My sister always says I'm kind of a lightweight. I'll have a club soda, with three slices of Ki'moor lemon." 

"Oh, you meant. . . right. What kind of noises?

"Your drinks." The attendant hands out the beverages before continuing. "The chef in the dining car mentioned what sounded like grunting and at least two voices. He wanted me to investigate it as was beneath someone of his 'talent'."

"You know what, we'll check it out - If you send that cute Dwarf over there a drink for me. Whatever he wants. Deal?

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Thank you mam... my offer is still valid. If you could see to the disturbance in the baggage car I'll be clad to get you and your party some restorative refreshments. You are free to share them with whomever you wish."

"Oh, I. . . Sorry - You're a traveller, not a spy. I don't actually think he's cute - he looks like the kind of creep who wears orange gardening shoes as a fashion-statement - I just needed a way to start a conversation, since there's a good possibility he's one of our targets. I didn't want to look sus, so I had to make sending the drink over look like a flirty, spur-of-the-moment thing. Sorry I confused you - I didn't mean any disrespect."

Zaria huffed in frustration. She did not mind being called a traveller: she technically was one, but this talking down to was a little much. She was never one to spread the good word of Varuth, but perhaps here it would help? "You did not confuse me in the slightest, Yelana. Perhaps I should explain my faith to you a little bit better. Varuth's teachings say a lot about how to treat those around us, after all, he is referred to as the Joyful Hotelier, we travel to gain and then spread wisdom. As such, he considers those in the service industry, such as waiters, chefs, and attendants to be individuals one should respect and give thanks to. It's not common for the faithful of Varuth to become the owners of such establishments, so those who work to keep travellers in good spirits while they travel should be given reverence, and not strong armed into doing something when they ask for assistance. We help them where we can, when we can, while still allowing them to do their job, as they do for us for a living. This gentleman is clearly coming to us for aid, and so, we help him." Zaria returned to Yelana with a smile. "Hopeful now you understand, yes?"

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Your drinks." The attendant hands out the beverages before continuing. "The chef in the dining car mentioned what sounded like grunting and at least two voices. He wanted me to investigate it as was beneath someone of his 'talent'."

Zaria's chest puffed out as she inhaled a deep breath, exhaling as she took a moment to calm her nerves. This chef immediately rubbed her off the wrong way. As much as Varuth said regarding the treatment of service workers, he had choice words to say about those who abused them. "Well, let's see this issue resolved so I can give my... compliments to the chef."

23 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

'Not sure if drawing attention to yourself is a good way to be a spy.

15 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria's chest puffed out as she inhaled a deep breath, exhaling as she took a moment to calm her nerves. This chef immediately rubbed her off the wrong way. As much as Varuth said regarding the treatment of service workers, he had choice words to say about those who abused them. "Well, let's see this issue resolved so I can give my... compliments to the chef."

Agreed. Seems like our best step forward is to clear out some chores. Get a good word in. Learn some secrets.

The heroes feel the train begin to get underway, a low hum slowly sinks into the background noise as the rocky landscape quickly speeds by. The Thudaal and Celestial continue in quiet conversation, the Dwarf takes a nap, and the Human sits contentedly reading their holopad.

13 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Soren sips at his drink.

So, are we going to check the baggage car or what?

Zaria stands up and motions to the attendant. "If you could lead us to the car in question, we would be honoured to handle this situation for you."

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria stands up and motions to the attendant. "If you could lead us to the car in question, we would be honoured to handle this situation for you."

"Certainly, you'll need a key card to access it anyways."

The attendant leads the group through the Dining Car and then the First Class Seating Car before arriving at the door to the Baggage Car.

"Sorry it might be a little dark in there, most of the time no one bothers keeping the lights on between stations, so you might need to look for a switch. If it's all the same to you, I'll wait out here."

The heroes are ushered into the baggage car amongst piled high stacks of luggage.

51299714716_a35bd5749f_c.jpg