Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #1: Mercenaries On the Boreal Express

"Yelana, you are correct: Soren does not get to make that call. I do. We can deal with Pierce once we have this situation handled. For now, Soren needs to be up and functional. Either heal him, or defend him."

1 minute ago, Kintobor said:

"Yelana, you are correct: Soren does not get to make that call. I do. We can deal with Pierce once we have this situation handled. For now, Soren needs to be up and functional. Either heal him, or defend him."

"You protect Soren - My plan's going to work." 

OoC: 

Spoiler

@Kintobor: Just to be clear, this is in-character conflict, and there is no actual problem with Yelana's plan, correct? 🤔

OOC: Your plan includes a lot of "possibly". I highly doubt you're going to hit both Slice and Crunch in the formation you suggest based on how WBD ruled the last time you succeeded. Also, if you fail, and you get under three successes, you're potentially hitting Soren which would drop him. I'd prefer everyone to be up and present for the end of combat.

"I do not take orders from you, Yelana. Focus on protecting Soren and moving into a more advantageous position."

13 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

OOC: Your plan includes a lot of "possibly". I highly doubt you're going to hit both Slice and Crunch in the formation you suggest based on how WBD ruled the last time you succeeded. Also, if you fail, and you get under three successes, you're potentially hitting Soren which would drop him. I'd prefer everyone to be up and present for the end of combat.

OoC: 

Spoiler

Shooting the tank will likely deal 2 Elemental damage to Crunch. This, combined with Soren targeting him from optimal range at H3, should be enough to completely take Crunch down. 
As for Soren's safety, he will be out of danger at H3 (since Yelana is trying to hit the tank at a diagonal), and since Zaria will be Defending him from G4. 

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"You don't get to make that call!"

What, and you do?

Successfully blowing the first tank was a Hail Mary. We were lucky to make the DC 3 proficiency check, and I'm not willing to test our luck on what will probably be a harder roll. Your plan leaves me wide open to attack, which is not ideal right now, and I honestly think it would miss Crunch or Slice completely. If you rally me, or also fire, there's a non-0 chance we take down both Crunch and Slice this round on our own. If you defend or heal Soren, we're basically guaranteed to get out of this in one piece. We're in a good position, I much prefer one of those options than a gamble that could very easily go wrong for us. 

EDIT: Number crunching!

If Yelana rallies Soren, that's 3 dice plus an auto-success to Crunch's 2 defence dice. That's really good for us, even better than blowing the tank. If Slice defends him, that still just puts us at about even. Plus, it would mean Slice is wasting his action. If Yelana shoots at Crunch, the deficits for being out of range will off-set her bonuses, and so she'll only have 1 die for attack, which I wouldn't recommend. Healing Soren is a 1-6 health gamble, but defending him adds dice to his defense total, which should counteract anything they have to throw at him. At this point, you've built your character pretty well for support, and I think that's your biggest asset right now. 

Blowing the tank properly is going to take at minimum 3 successes in 4 rolls. What the effect would be is basically an unknown, given this is a very different kind of shot than your last one. My guess is it's either hitting Crunch or Slice, but probably not both. It could go G2, F3, E4 - but it could also go H2, H3, H4 and hit you. Given how WBD played the last round, I don't think it'd hit in a square like you want it to, but I also don't think it would hit Soren in H1, which is nice! But at this point maybe-hitting Crunch for two damage is not better than possibly taking out Crunch in one round or stopping Soren from being taken out.

Actually, given Order of Operation, if Yelana rallies Soren we won't actually get the advantage until next round. Which I'm still down for, but it might mean Zaria warding Soren this turn so he doesn't die. Zaria won't get a hit on Slice this round, but it means we're set up to take out Crunch and we can spend future rounds beating on Slice until his stupid clones are used up. Numerically, I think this is our best bet - Zaria wards Soren and Yelana rallies him. He still shoots this round, hopefully chipping off a health, but he's practically guaranteed to bring down the shark next round, leaving you two to drop Slice's clones. The only way the tank would be a better option is if we somehow hit both of them, which I don't think we're likely to do again. 

Edited by The Legonater

"Alright, new plan. Yelana, I need you to rally Soren. I'm going to put up an interposing ward between Soren and our enemies. Soren, just shoot stuff and do not fall, yeah?"

Zaria invokes an Interposing Ward on Soren.

MM Note: Just a few points of clarification. You all rolled the same initiative so you can go in any order you want. The Tank in H1 can be struck to hit either Crunch or Pierce, but not both.

OOC: In that case, turn order should be Zaria, Yelana, then Soren, so we can blast Crunch into the next century.

MM Note: Hi folks, we really need to keep this going, so I'll be running the round in 3hrs. @Classic_Spaceman, let me know if you're changing your action in line with Zaria's plan otherwise I will run the round as Yelana shooting the tank and aiming for the diagonal Crunch is in.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:40 AM, Kintobor said:

"Alright, new plan. Yelana, I need you to rally Soren. I'm going to put up an interposing ward between Soren and our enemies." 

Yelana sighed, looking towards the tank, then back at Zaria. She flipped her rifle over her shoulder and onto her back. 
"Fine. . . If you let me make the call on Pierce.

OoC: 

Spoiler

Yelana rallies Soren. 

51482763537_28be3667b4_b.jpg

Zaria once more comes to Soren aid granting him a protective barrier as Yelana encourages the pilot for one more shot. Soren moves to position and takes aim at the Menahi. The blaster bolt hits Crunch in the arm, but he continues to stay standing. Agent Slice runs forward and swipes once more at Soren before signaling out the hole of the moving train. A pair of bright spotlights illuminate the interior of the Engineering car as the heroes watch a drop ship hover nearby keeping pace with the train.

Round 8
Zaria casts Interposing Ward on Soren - +5 Armor Mod to Soren's next Defensive Combat Check (-1 Spirit)
Yelana Rallies Soren - +2 Dice to next Offensive Combat Check
Soren moves to H1
Soren vs. Agent Crunch - (3,1,4, +1) 2 Successes vs. (3,5) 1 Success = 1 Damage

Blackguard Agent Slice moves to G2
Blackguard Agent Slice vs. Soren (5,1,+1) 2 Successes vs. (1,2,+5) 5 Successes = 0 Damage
Blackguard Agent Crunch moves to E2
Blackguard Agent Crunch Athletics Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (3,3,2,3, +1) 1 Success = Crunch picks up Pierce

51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg
"That's it, we're getting out of here. Crunch get Pierce."

Enemy

51362875609_072c927324_t.jpg
Blackguard Agent Pierce *Stabilized*
Vitality: 0/5
Velocity: 2
Strength: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 0/4
Proficiencies: Arcana 2, Insight 1, Technology 1
Spells Known: Charm, Elemental Evocation, Meditate, Photonic Modulation, Warding Bond 
Credits: 5
Equipment: Cryo Ray (Standard Elemental Long Range Weapon), Holo-scroll
Inventory: Æther Brew

51362875639_f0088cce41_t.jpg
Blackguard Agent Crunch
Vitality: 2/7
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Long Range Weapons 2, Melee Weapons 2, Explosives 1
Equipment: Titanium Knuckle Dusters (Standard Kinetic Melee Weapon) standard Issue Security Rifle (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon), Tactical Chainmail (Standard Kinetic Armor), Exo-suit
Inventory: Plasma Potion, standard Issue Security Rifle (Standard Energy Long Range Weapon)

51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg
 G2 Blackguard Agent Slice
Vitality: 2/5
Spirit: 1/2
Proficiencies: Acrobatics 1, Melee Weapons 2, Perception 1, Arcana 1, Stealth 1
Spells Known: Quantum Transposition, Illusory Clone
Equipment: Beam Blade (Standard Energy Melee Weapon), Tactical Leathers (Standard Energy Armor), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Standard Issue Security Blaster (Standard Energy Short Range Weapon), Plasma Potion, Energy Source (Mission Specific Item)

Party

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 1/11
Vitality: 6/6
Spirit: 0/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 1, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Solar Flare
Credits: 0
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour)
Inventory: Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kintetic Long Range Weapon)

189444369_933832327392718_3084432536823807458_n.jpg
Soren Aeolus (The Legonater)
31-year-old male Human
Vitality: 2/5
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 2/2
Proficiencies: Arcana 1, Insight 1, Piloting 2, Short-Range Weapons 1
Credits: 10
Known Spells: Elemental Evocation, Entropic Mending
Equipment: MK-12 personal handgun (short-ranged standard energy weapon)
Inventory: Farsight Goggles, Hacking Chip, Vibro-Knife (Melee Standard Energy Weapon), Project File Folder (Mission Item)

49267649646_d026d4f5c6_t.jpg
Yelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman) 
Unknown age Female Human. 
Vitality: 6/6
Skill: 3 
Spirit: 1/1
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 1, Perception 1, Deception 1, Arcana 1 
Known Spells: Obfuscate 
Equipment: Modular Sniper Rifle (Calibrated Energy Artillery Weapon), Farsight Goggles, Radiation Gauntlet (Standard Energy Armor)
Inventory: Plasma Potion x2, Cloaking Generator

I think our carriage is about to turn into a pumpkin real quick, folks!

I’m about ready to let them go, but Yelana, if you want that cube we’re gonna have to focus on Slice, now.

Zaria shielded her eyes as the searchlights entered the car. "A part of me is glad we are enough trouble to force their hand with reinforcements. Soren! I need you on my side of Slice, now! (G3) I'm going to need some support if we don't want the cube leaving the train. Yelana, protect Soren! I will handle Slice." Zaria moves F3 and strikes Slice with her khopesh, aiming for a finishing blow.

Turn Order: Soren, Yelana, Zaria

‘You sure about that, Z? Slice still has all his clones up, if we put this all on one hit, that’s quite the gamble. 

6 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

‘You sure about that, Z? Slice still has all his clones up, if we put this all on one hit, that’s quite the gamble. 

"It is a gamble, I will admit. My other thoughts were the same setup, but I instead strike Crunch, or Yelana shoots them. Your thoughts?"

Edited by Kintobor

13 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"It is a gamble, I will admit. My other thoughts were the same setup, but I instead strike Crunch, or Yelana shoots them. Your thoughts?"

We got nothing but options right now. Despite my lousy shot last round, I reckon Yelana and I have a solid chance at putting Crunch down this round. He’s carrying Pierce, so that might delay them. 

I just don’t love the idea of putting all our odds on taking out Slice when that’s far from a guarantee. 

16 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

We got nothing but options right now. Despite my lousy shot last round, I reckon Yelana and I have a solid chance at putting Crunch down this round. He’s carrying Pierce, so that might delay them. 

I just don’t love the idea of putting all our odds on taking out Slice when that’s far from a guarantee. 

"If you would feel more confident in dealing with Crunch, I can move myself into a position to defend you while you and Yelana open up on Crunch."

MM Note: Ignore the black space in E1, having to use Paint to edit this round.

51486524072_b937bbc2aa_b.jpg

Soren and Yelana try to bring down Agent Crunch, but are unable to land a killing blow. Zaria ensures Soren's safety as the O'Kor'uk sets up a plan of escape hauling over debris to assist his companion's retreat. The Menahi rushes forward carrying Agent Pierce and with a mighty leap lands on the nearby transport.

Round 9
Soren moves to G1
Soren vs. Agent Crunch - (1, +1) 1 Successes vs. (5,2) 1 Success = 0 Damage
Yelana vs. Agent Crunch - (3, +2) 2 Successes vs. (6,3) 1 Success = 1 Damage
Zaria Moves to F2
Zaria Defends Soren - +2 Dice to Soren's next Defensive Combat Check

Blackguard Agent Slice moves to F1
Blackguard Agent Slice Athletics Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (3,6,5) 2 Successes = Readies to give Agent Crunch a boost, +1 to Flee
Blackguard Agent Crunch Flees - Athletics Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (2,4,2,3,+1,+1) 3 Successes = Agent Crunch flees with Agent Pierce

51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg
"Later, heroes."

Enemy

51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg51263193516_8424bdbf22_t.jpg
Blackguard Agent Slice
Vitality: 2/5
Spirit: 1/2
Proficiencies: Acrobatics 1, Melee Weapons 2, Perception 1, Arcana 1, Stealth 1
Spells Known: Quantum Transposition, Illusory Clone
Equipment: Beam Blade (Standard Energy Melee Weapon), Tactical Leathers (Standard Energy Armor), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Standard Issue Security Blaster (Standard Energy Short Range Weapon), Plasma Potion, Energy Source (Mission Specific Item)

Party

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Vitality: 6/6
Spirit: 0/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 1, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Solar Flare
Credits: 0
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour)
Inventory: Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kintetic Long Range Weapon)

189444369_933832327392718_3084432536823807458_n.jpg
Soren Aeolus (The Legonater)
31-year-old male Human
Vitality: 2/5
Spirit: 2/2
Proficiencies: Arcana 1, Insight 1, Piloting 2, Short-Range Weapons 1
Known Spells: Elemental Evocation, Entropic Mending
Equipment: MK-12 personal handgun (short-ranged standard energy weapon)
Inventory: Farsight Goggles, Hacking Chip, Vibro-Knife (Melee Standard Energy Weapon), Project File Folder (Mission Item)

49267649646_d026d4f5c6_t.jpg
Yelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman) 
Unknown age Female Human. 
Vitality: 6/6
Skill: 3 
Spirit: 1/1
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 1, Perception 1, Deception 1, Arcana 1 
Known Spells: Obfuscate 
Equipment: Modular Sniper Rifle (Calibrated Energy Artillery Weapon), Farsight Goggles, Radiation Gauntlet (Standard Energy Armor)
Inventory: Plasma Potion x2, Cloaking Generator

Zaria steels her sword and readies her aim. "You are not leaving this train. Not if I have any say in the matter.

Soren, this may be too much to ask, but repair the hole in the train's wall."

Zaria strikes Slice.

I can certainly give it a try, but 'm not confident I have the power for it.

Soren casts Entropic Mending on the broken wall.

OOC: Yelana defends Soren, moving to H2.

Edited by Kintobor

On 9/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, The Legonater said:

I think our carriage is about to turn into a pumpkin real quick, folks!

"More like our carriage just pulled up!" 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, The Legonater said:

I’m about ready to let them go, but Yelana, if you want that cube we’re gonna have to focus on Slice, now.

"We're not letting any of them escape! <Set to stun - Target locked.>" 

On 9/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, Kintobor said:

Yelana Shoots Crunch.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

Soren and Yelana try to bring down Agent Crunch, but are unable to land a killing blow. Zaria ensures Soren's safety as the O'Kor'uk sets up a plan of escape hauling over debris to assist his companion's retreat. The Menahi rushes forward carrying Agent Pierce and with a mighty leap lands on the nearby transport.

"Goddammit!

On 9/17/2021 at 5:50 PM, Kintobor said:

Zaria steels her sword and readies her aim. "You are not leaving this train. Not if I have any say in the matter.

Soren, this may be too much to ask, but repair the hole in the train's wall."

21 hours ago, The Legonater said:

I can certainly give it a try, but 'm not confident I have the power for it.

"Wait - I've got a better idea! I'll deal with Slice - Soren, move to H1 and Defend yourself; Zaria, G1, then jump onto the dropship! That's our best chance of getting off this train!" 

OoC: 

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

OOC: Yelana defends Soren, moving to H2.

Soren can actually Defend himself, per the rules. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman