Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #1: Mercenaries On the Boreal Express

51333619868_5661f6a2c3_c.jpg

Round 4
Zaria Uses a Plasma Potion - 6 = 6 HP Restored
Soren moves to B3
Soren rallies Yelana - 2 Dice added to next Attack
Yelana vs. Abam - (1, 5, 6, +2) 4 Successes vs. (3, 1) 0 Successes = 4 Damage, Knocked Out

Stowaway Maba moves to D1
Stowaway Maba vs Yelana - (6, 2, +1) 2 Successes vs (4, 1, 6) 2 Successes =  0 Damage
Zaria vs Maba (Opportunistic Attack) - (5, 5, +1) 3 Successes (1, 5) 1 Success = 2 Damage

Zaria steadies herself with a potion as Soren moves into position to encourage Yelana. The markswoman's shot flies true and she disables one of the heads of the Tvilgard. Maba enraged at his unconcious brother charges forward and fires off a shot that goes wide. Zaria sensing an opening swings with her sword and scores a hit on the other half of the stowaway.

51159739184_6833cca547_o.png
Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 0/10
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 2
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1/2
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Religion 1, Melee Weapons 2
Known Spells: Warding Bond, Solar Flare
Credits: 0
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour)
Inventory:

189444369_933832327392718_3084432536823807458_n.jpg
Soren Aeolus (The Legonater)
31-year-old male Human
Vitality: 5/5
Strength: 1
Smarts: 2
Proficiencies: Arcana 1, Insight 1, Piloting 2, Short-Range Weapons 1
Credits: 10
Known Spells: Elemental Evocation, Entropic Mending
Equipment: MK-12 personal handgun (short-ranged standard energy weapon)
Inventory: Farsight Goggles, Hacking Chip

49267649646_d026d4f5c6_t.jpg
Yelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman) 
Unknown age Female Human. 
Velocity: 
Strength: 
Skill: 
Smarts: 
Spirit: 1/1
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 1, Perception 1, Deception 1, Arcana 1 
Known Spells: Obfuscate 
Equipment: Modular Sniper Rifle (Calibrated Energy Artillery Weapon), Farsight Goggles 
Inventory: Plasma Potion

Enemy

49077050342_03ea5ecaaa_t.jpg
Stow Away Abam *Unstable*
Vitality: 0/7
Proficiencies: Athletics 2, Intimidation 1, Melee Weapons 3, Stealth 1
Credits: 5
Equipment: Vibro Dagger (Standard Energy Melee Weapon)

Stow Away Maba
Vitality: 4/6
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Perception 2, Survival 1, Long Range Weapons 2, Stealth 1
Equipment: Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kinetic Long Range Weapon)
Inventory: Cloaking Generator

Yelana lowered her voice. 
"Alright, I've got an ideaZaria, grab that pack from the middle shelf and drop it on Maba - That should disorient him for a sec. I'll see if I can get him to stand down." 
Resting her rifle on her shoulder, Yelana addressed the conscious half of the Tvilgard
"Enough's enough, Maba; Abam's dead, so this is your last chance - Stand down.

OoC: 

Spoiler

This is a Deception check, since Abam is actually still alive (Yelana just stunned him). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Soren smirks. The stowaway had ran directly into his range. With a breath of icy focus, Soren fires at Maba.

Zaria takes another swipe at Maba. She pivots on her foot, following her attacker into the aisle.

51336515560_4d0d35f0b5_c.jpg

Round 5
Zaria vs. Maba - (2, 1, +1) 1 Success vs. (6, 3) 1 Success = 0 Damage
Soren vs. Maba - (4, +1) 2 Successes vs (1, 1) 0 Successes = 2 Damage
Yelana Deception Check (DC 5) - (5, 1, 4, 1) 2 Successes

Stowaway Maba moves to C2
Stowaway Maba vs. Zaria - (3, 5, +1, -2) 0 Successes vs (5, 4) 2 Successes = 0 Damage

Zaria and Soren strike at the Tvilgard with some success, wounding the stowaway even more. Yelana tries to convince Maba his other half has bit the dust.

"You don't think I can tell when he's dead? We share the same body."

Maba moves to a more aggressive position, but fails to injure Zaria at such close range.

Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour)
Inventory:

31-year-old male Human

Velocity: 
Strength: 
Skill: 
Smarts: 
Equipment: Modular Sniper Rifle (Calibrated Energy Artillery Weapon), Farsight Goggles 

Enemy

Stow Away Abam *Unstable*
Vitality: 0/7
Proficiencies: Athletics 2, Intimidation 1, Melee Weapons 3, Stealth 1
Equipment: Vibro Dagger (Standard Energy Melee Weapon)

Stow Away Maba
Vitality: 2/6
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Perception 2, Survival 1, Long Range Weapons 2, Stealth 1
Equipment: Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kinetic Long Range Weapon)
Inventory: Cloaking Generator

Zaria hustles to move into C3, and then to B2 to put herself between Maba and her allies. She then strikes Maba with her khopesh, looking to bring the fight to a close.

"You will need get through me before you even consider harming them!"

On 7/25/2021 at 11:24 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"You don't think I can tell when he's dead? We share the same body."

". . . Shit. It was worth a try." 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:31 AM, Kintobor said:

She then strikes Maba with her khopesh

On 7/26/2021 at 1:01 PM, The Legonater said:

Soren pops behind cover to fire an icy blast into the stowaway’s face. 

"Wait - I have a better idea! Zaria, Rally me; Soren, Defend Zaria - I'll handle Maba.
"<Target locked.>" 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

". . . Shit. It was worth a try." 

"Wait - I have a better idea! Zaria, Rally me; Soren, Defend Zaria - I'll handle Maba.
"<Target locked.>" 

What-? No. I have a practically guaranteed hit on this thing, meaning we just need to hit it once more. Between you and Zaria, that should more than cover it.

Round 6
Zaria moves to B2
Zaria vs. Maba - (3, 2, +1) 1 Success vs. (5, 3) 1 Success = 0 Damage
Soren casts Elemental Evocation - (4) 1 Success = 1 Damage (-1 Spirit)
Yelana vs. Maba - (6, +2, -2) 1 Success vs. (6, 4) 2 Successes = 0 Damage

Stowaway Maba moves to E2
Zaria vs. Maba (Opportunistic Attack) - (4, 4, +1) 3 Success vs. (3, 3) 0 Success = 3 Damage
Stowaway Maba vs. Zaria

Quickly repositioning herself into a defensive position, Zaria interposes herself between the stowaway and her companions, swinging her khopesh threateningly. Soren releases the last of his magical reserves in an icy blast nearly downing the Tvilgard. Yelana tries to find an opening in the foray, but her shot goes wide as she attempts to avoid hitting her own companions. Maba attempts to roll away to setup a better shot with his rifle but Zaria catches him with the blade of her weapon removing his head.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

1 Character point to each hero

Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Character Points: 1/11
Inventory:

31-year-old male Human
Character Points: 1/11
Spirit: 0/2

Velocity: 
Strength: 
Skill: 
Smarts: 

Loot:
Cloaking Generator
Plasma Potion
Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kinetic Long Range Weapon)
Vibro Dagger (Standard Energy Melee Weapon)

While Maba's head lies lifeless on the floor, Abam begins to stir.
51343984404_4b4fb9ca2b_t.jpg
"Nnn..."

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Nnn..."

'You feeling a little more cooperative, now?

Zaria relaxes, straightening her posture and exhaling. She closes her eyes and levels her left hand to her face and raises her index finger, middle finger, and thumb, leaving the remaining two fingers squeezed into her palm. It almost looked like she was pointing finger guns towards the ceiling. She lowers her sword and begins to utter a prayer. "Varuth, Father of Wisdom, Companion in Travels, Shower of the Ways, deliver this wayward soul from this life and unto the next. Guide his spirit away from damnation and suffering, and to the place where all journey's end. Ro uk fouso. Be at peace."

Zaria lowers her left hand pulls out a cloth which she uses to wipe the blood off of her khopesh. She sheaths her sword and begins to distribute the dropped items.

Loot Distribution:
Yelana: Cloaking Generator
Zaria: Plasma Potion, Repeating Slug Thrower
Soren: Vibro Dagger

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria relaxes, straightening her posture and exhaling. She closes her eyes and levels her left hand to her face and raises her index finger, middle finger, and thumb, leaving the remaining two fingers squeezed into her palm. It almost looked like she was pointing finger guns towards the ceiling. She lowers her sword and begins to utter a prayer. "Varuth, Father of Wisdom, Companion in Travels, Shower of the Ways, deliver this wayward soul from this life and unto the next. Guide his spirit away from damnation and suffering, and to the place where all journey's end. Ro uk fouso. Be at peace."

Loot Distribution:
Soren: Vibro Dagger

Soren observes the prayer wordlessly, before catching the vibro dagger tossed to him. He takes a quick glance at it.

Neat, he said. It's unclear whether he's referring to the dagger or Zaria's sacrament. 

Just figured I would check - is the knife meant to be electric, or kinetic? I only ask because the FAQ has Vibro-Knife listed as a kinetic option. 

6 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Abam still seems out of it, barely holding onto consciousness
"Hhhnn?"

3 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Just figured I would check - is the knife meant to be electric, or kinetic? I only ask because the FAQ has Vibro-Knife listed as a kinetic option. 

MM Note: Energy in this case. The examples listed are just that, they aren't restricting and I think an argument could be made that some weapons could be portrayed by multiple damage types. All that matters is the actual stats.

Zaria Kanara (Kintobor)
226 Year Old Female Elf
Equipment: Power Khopesh (Standard Kintetic Melee Weapon), Dune Sea Armour (Standard Kinetic Armour)
Inventory: Plasma Potion, Repeating Slug Thrower (Standard Kintetic Long Range Weapon)

31-year-old male Human
Spirit: 0/2
Inventory: Farsight Goggles, Hacking Chip, Vibro-Knife (Melee Standard Energy Weapon)

Velocity: 
Strength: 
Skill: 
Smarts: 
Inventory: Plasma Potion, Cloaking Generator

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Nnn..."

"Zaria! What the hells?! We were trying to incapacitate him, not goddamn decapitate him! What is wrong with you?" 

10 hours ago, The Legonater said:

"And Soren: Back. Off. You've done enough damage as it is!" 

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria lowers her left hand pulls out a cloth which she uses to wipe the blood off of her khopesh. She sheaths her sword and begins to distribute the dropped items.

Yelana turns back to Zaria. 
"So that's it, then? Just tell Varuth 'Oh, heyI sent someone your way - Be nice to them, since I sure as shit wasn't'? Doesn't he have something to say about how to treat wayward travellers?" 
Yelana snatches the Cloaking Generator out of Zaria's hand and puts it into her backpack. 

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Abam still seems out of it, barely holding onto consciousness
"Hhhnn?"

"<Medical scan - Can we stabilise him?>" 
"<SCANNING. . . >" 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Do Maba and Abam's Credits not drop, or did you forget to add them to the list of loot? 

MM Note: Good catch, 10 Credits are available as well.

26 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"<Medical scan - Can we stabilise him?>" 
"<SCANNING. . . >" 

Yelana Medicine Proficiency Check (DC 1) -  (4, 3, 2) 1 Success

Yelana is able to stabilize the Abam easing him to sleep, he remains knocked out but no longer dying.

29 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Zaria! What the hells?! We were trying to incapacitate him, not goddamn decapitate him! What is wrong with you?"

"So that's it, then? Just tell Varuth 'Oh, heyI sent someone your way - Be nice to them, since I sure as shit wasn't'? Doesn't he have something to say about how to treat wayward travellers?" 

Zaria turns to face Yelana, looking at her directly, her pensiveness giving way to an edge in her voice.

"Varuth has much to say about wayward travellers, Yelana. He speaks about how it is the duty of those more capable and able to protect those who cannot protect themselves. I considered Maba a threat as he moved in to attack you and Soren, so I acted. I considered him a threat should he be found by a member of the crew, or someone not as capable in combat as the three of us. I ended his life not to inflict cruelty on him, but to spare the passengers and crew of this train from a violent end. Do not mistake me for some traveller, as you referred to me as, and do not claim to understand my faith in Varuth when I doubt you have even opened the cover of His holy texts and scriptures!" Zaria ran her hand through her autumn red hair, frustrated. She took a moment to collect herself before crossing her arms and shaking her head. "Varuth is a god of wisdom, not pacifism. You must sometimes remove rowdy, violent guests for the safety of others."

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The pilot seems unfazed by Yelana's exclamations.

For someone who fashions themselves a spy, you sure have a lot of hang-ups about getting your hands dirty. 

In any case, we should get back to our car and tell the attendant that things are taken care of.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:11 AM, Kintobor said:

Zaria turns to face Yelana, looking at her directly, her pensiveness giving way to an edge in her voice.

"Varuth has much to say about wayward travellers, Yelana. He speaks about how it is the duty of those more capable and able to protect those who cannot protect themselves. I considered Maba a threat as he moved in to attack you and Soren, so I acted. I considered him a threat should he be found by a member of the crew, or someone not as capable in combat as the three of us. I ended his life not to inflict cruelty on him, but to spare the passengers and crew of this train from a violent end. Do not mistake me for some traveller, as you referred to me as, and do not claim to understand my faith in Varuth when I doubt you have even opened the cover of His holy texts and scriptures!" 

"Okay, like, I get that, and agree we should be standing up for people who can't protect themselves, but Maba wasn't a threat until you and Soren provoked him. I had the situation under control. . . And you could've just knocked him out. And you're right, I don't know much about Varuth, so I'm sorry if I offended you. I'd like to know more, if you'd be willing to tell me." 

On 7/30/2021 at 3:11 AM, Kintobor said:

Zaria ran her hand through her autumn red hair, frustrated. She took a moment to collect herself before crossing her arms and shaking her head. "Varuth is a god of wisdom, not pacifism. You must sometimes remove rowdy, violent guests for the safety of others."

23 hours ago, The Legonater said:

For someone who fashions themselves a spy, you sure have a lot of hang-ups about getting your hands dirty. 

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

49077050582_3614c2b503_t.jpg
"Everything alright in there folks, is it safe to come in?"

"Well, I normally just aim for their junk. And I'm not a pacifist - I'm a sniper, I - " 
The knock at the door interrupted Yelana's monologue. 
"I'll handle this.
Yelana picked up the grey bag of clothes from the floor and threw it against the door as she walked over
"Hang on a sec! Ugh! We ran into a couple stowaways - They attacked us, and one's still breathing. Give us a few more minutes to mop him up - Ow! Dick!
Yelana kicked her heel against the adjacent cargo bin, causing a metallic 'clang' to punctuate her deception. She turned back to her companions and lowered her voice. 
"We need to hurry - This may be our only chance to find the package - if it's in here - so we need to split upI'll look through this bin, Soren, check the other one, Zaria, shelves." 

"Okay, like, I get that, and agree we should be standing up for people who can't protect themselves, but Maba wasn't a threat until you and Soren provoked him. I had the situation under control. . . And you could've just knocked him out. And you're right, I don't know much about Varuth, so I'm sorry if I offended you. I'd like to know more, if you'd be willing to tell me."

Zaria spoke to Yelana in a hushed voice. "You had several opportunities to diffuse the situation. You did not have it under control." Zaria points to the place in her armour where Abam's dagger pierced her, near her armpit. The piercing wound may have been healed by a potion, but the blood stained hole in her clothing remained. "They were not making moves to defend themselves, they attacked me, one time nearly severely enough to potentially drop me." She took in a deep breath, frustrated. "We can talk about my faith later."

"We need to hurry - This may be our only chance to find the package - if it's in here - so we need to split upI'll look through this bin, Soren, check the other one, Zaria, shelves."

"I thought you managed to obtain the data from the key card?" Zaria whispered. "There is too much luggage in here to search while the attendant watches. Your stress is pushing you to rashness. Relax. We have time until we reach our destination."

Zaria turns to the attendant. "What my friend says is correct. I must ask you to fetch a bag, one big enough to fit a watermelon. I do not wish to distress you or anyone else, but I would hate for you to stumble across his severed head." Zaria motions to her healed wound. "He managed to nick me fairly well. I hate to imagine what he would do to you or any other passenger should you have found him instead of us."

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Well, I normally just aim for their junk. And I'm not a pacifist - I'm a sniper, I - " 

I mean, that hardly sounds like an effective way to snipe somebody-

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

What the hell? Soren hisses, I highly doubt the package will have just been tossed in the luggage department.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria turns to the attendant. "What my friend says is correct. I must ask you to fetch a bag, one big enough to fit a watermelon. I do not wish to distress you or anyone else, but I would hate for you to stumble across his severed head." Zaria motions to her healed wound. "He managed to nick me fairly well. I hate to imagine what he would do to you or any other passenger should you have found him instead of us."

Soren nods, trying to appear composed in contrast to Yelana. If you have any further problems, let us know.

15 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The knock at the door interrupted Yelana's monologue. 
"I'll handle this.
Yelana picked up the grey bag of clothes from the floor and threw it against the door as she walked over
"Hang on a sec! Ugh! We ran into a couple stowaways - They attacked us, and one's still breathing. Give us a few more minutes to mop him up - Ow! Dick!
Yelana kicked her heel against the adjacent cargo bin, causing a metallic 'clang' to punctuate her deception. She turned back to her companions and lowered her voice. 

"Um... sure thing."

Yelana goes rummaging through the bin. She doesn't find any marked with M-Tek logo's, a few cases are locked shut but none appear of a suspicious nature.

13 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Oh my that is... dreadful! Right away, I'll be back in a few minutes. Perhaps I contact the authorities to meet us at the station?"

32 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Oh my that is... dreadful! Right away, I'll be back in a few minutes. Perhaps I contact the authorities to meet us at the station?"

Zaria ponders on the question longer than she'd like to admit before giving the only reasonable response. "I feel like that would be for the best.  As the individual responsible for killing the man, if need be, I will answer any questions they might have upon arriving. If you could get me the bag, I will place the severed head into it. I do not wish to cause you anymore undue stress than I already have. From there, I recommend placing the remains away from the stowaway if you could direct me in the location of someplace that could hold them. I believe the other stowaway should face justice, but I also believe it cruel to just leave a severed head next him for the remainder of the trip."