Samolot

[TC20] 8462 Futuristic Tow Truck - Reincarnation Instruction available

This is fantastic! 8462 was one of my first 'proper' technic sets; I use the switches from it in my 3 cyl LPE to this day, and the number plate on my MOC truck. Keep it up and thank you for reincarnating this set that I have a soft spot for.

Agreed with @M4rk ‘s sentiment above. I love the original and would love to own your updated version all the same. Fantastic job!

Love it! 8462 is my favourite set, so very interested to see this progress. 

On 7/4/2021 at 1:29 AM, SaperPL said:

This looks really good. Now I wish I picked up a slightly bigger model for contest entry.

With that said, I think those short panels in front of wheel arches on the middle axles are breaking the effect. I don't think that is required, maybe using the same thing that is between the arches would do or the one over the headlights. The current pieces stand out too much. Also I still don't like the use of original seats - there are different solutions to making seats in current technic sets, and I would rather see it being made mostly with pieces that are present in current sets where it is possible (you can't replace the tank obviously). Also the seats in original set have additional head rests.

Apart from this, the design is top notch.

Ok you're right these panels between the wheels had to be replaced. I got a little tired but managed to find a clever way of assembling. As for the seats, I'll wait for the ordered bricks. Then we'll see what we can do in dark turquoise. I changed the roof structure of the cab again.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

On 7/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, M4rk said:

This is fantastic! 8462 was one of my first 'proper' technic sets; I use the switches from it in my 3 cyl LPE to this day, and the number plate on my MOC truck. Keep it up and thank you for reincarnating this set that I have a soft spot for.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, KevinMD said:

Agreed with @M4rk ‘s sentiment above. I love the original and would love to own your updated version all the same. Fantastic job!

Thanks

4 hours ago, Samolot said:

Ok you're right these panels between the wheels had to be replaced. I got a little tired but managed to find a clever way of assembling. As for the seats, I'll wait for the ordered bricks. Then we'll see what we can do in dark turquoise. I changed the roof structure of the cab again.

Now I'm more annoyed by the fact that those panels are so unique and don't connect well to other curved Technic panels. This is one of two issues I've got with the panels, the other ones is that there's no corner handling on them.

Anyway while this is a lot better, why not leave it without this piece? The original model had the gap/open end there.

I'd definitely go for a blue interior. You changed the body color too, so why not "update" the seat color to go with it. I think blue interior looks as good with azure as the original teal interior did with blue. I expect teal and dark azure will clash, because they have the same lightness.

For the rest, your model is looking great :)

Hm, I wondeeer how I missed this earlier??
I love this set in original, despite I own only the box :laugh:

Build it studless is a very cool idea I think! It's implementation is great! How it's said - you nailed it!

On 7/7/2021 at 1:04 AM, SaperPL said:

Now I'm more annoyed by the fact that those panels are so unique and don't connect well to other curved Technic panels. This is one of two issues I've got with the panels, the other ones is that there's no corner handling on them.

Anyway while this is a lot better, why not leave it without this piece? The original model had the gap/open end there.

For me now it looks much better. I will leave it like that. 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:51 PM, mic8per_ said:

WOW, impressive! The studless version looks way more futuristic!

Thanks

On 7/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, Erik Leppen said:

I'd definitely go for a blue interior. You changed the body color too, so why not "update" the seat color to go with it. I think blue interior looks as good with azure as the original teal interior did with blue. I expect teal and dark azure will clash, because they have the same lightness.

For the rest, your model is looking great :)

I am waiting for dark turquoise parts. Then i will make some experiments with colours. But i think that turquoise will be nice especialy because it returns to technic colours in last years , small plane and mindsorms. It reminds me also colour used in old soviet planes cocpits .

On 7/7/2021 at 10:04 PM, Aleh said:

Hm, I wondeeer how I missed this earlier??
I love this set in original, despite I own only the box :laugh:

Build it studless is a very cool idea I think! It's implementation is great! How it's said - you nailed it!

Thanks

The model is almost finished. I've refined a few details.  

What do you think of these wheels?

I'm just waiting for these four panels in a dark turquoise color.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

2 hours ago, Samolot said:

What do you think of these wheels?

Well, I have the original - and these silver wheels add to the futuristic look a lot, IMHO only that it. A least on the original. They set the set apart from any "rugged, all terrain monsters" currently out there.

(In the futuristic future, vehicles will be towed with trucks on slicks and rims usually used for race cars, as all the dirt is gone :pir-wink:)

Other than that: A terrific job. Yout MOC looks much more futuristic than the original!

Best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

I think I prefer the original wheels. They're kind of part of the character of this particular model and I liked it more when you were still using them. That said, this has been a really fun entry to watch come together. You've really capture the look and feel of the original and I think it's great.

Ok I think I'll take pictures on both types of wheels; old and new. I prefer new, but the old ones are clou this set.

@Samolot I've just asked the question about wheels on the information topic as I too was undecided about original vs. contemporary: hopefully Jim's response gives you some useful guidance

Can you try to fit here new roundish wheels with glued on tires? If Im not mistaken they were presented in some recent Wedo or Educational sets.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=39367c01#T=C&C=11

Im not sure about the wheels color but azure tires may look here quite futristic. Like neon lines at Tron bikes. 

Edited by Void_S

24 minutes ago, Void_S said:

If Im not mistaken they were presented in some recent Wedo or Educational sets.

I believe these come with the spike prime stuff - and they really look futuristic for sure!

They may be a bit "thin" though - I believe the originals are wider, aren't they? If not, then I would really use these for the futuristic touch!

Best
Thorsten

Yes, wow, this version is very well done. A true recreation and still very recognisable. 

Yeah, a true reincarnation of old set!

It is not a 1:1 studless version of studded set but modern apperance of its spirit. Like how it may look being made in 2021 year. Great job! 

Whoa, for me this is basically my ideal tow truck. Perfect adaptation & evolution of the original. Glad you added outriggers - for me that’s the main thing missing from the original. They do look like they could use another plate’s worth of length, though. Still - gorgeous from the outside, and feature-packed on the inside. The working steering wheel, suspension, and drivetrain are the cherries-on-top. Great work, and thanks for the awesome video!