Samolot

[TC20] 8462 Futuristic Tow Truck - Reincarnation Instruction available

640x360.jpg

Instruction

LEGO MOC Tow Truck 8462 Reincarnation by Samolot77 | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

I'll try my hand at the competition again. A few years ago we had an identical competition on the Polish forum Lugpol.

But I did not give advice in it to start. But that's when I caught my eye with the 8462 set.

640x360.jpg 

It came from a time when Lego technic models didn't really like it, but today I see a lot of potential in it. This futuristic vehicle is still controversial today, but I think the panels available today will give it a cool form. I'll try to add some features to it.

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

Edited by Samolot

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

The original, however, is a fairly large model and nowadays it would probably have more features.

So I decided to add some features to my model. Working steering wheel, suspension rear outriggers and fake engine,

Great idea to add some functions! However, I don’t like the placement of the fake engine. To far to the back and too deep in the chassis IMO.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

6 hours ago, Rebel_Lego said:

Great idea to add some functions! However, I don’t like the placement of the fake engine. To far to the back and too deep in the chassis IMO.

Ok You're right.

I moved the engine forward. Now the whole engine is inside the cab.  

By the way, it's a good question whether there should be a piston engine in such a futuristic vehicle.

Due to the number of panels available, I decided to build a cabin in dark azurre color. 

Great work so far!

Something I feel should be somehow replicated is the many unconventionally angled bricks of the original. They add significantly to the futuristic and unconventional look of the vehicle, so I feel that simple paneling won't cut it. Your interpretation of the front fenders and front of the cabin is a good start for this.

This looks so awesome! This set is one of my favorites simply because it’s blue and has unique shaping. I think dark azure is a good compromise and I like that you are adding more functions. Can’t wait to see more updates!

Great work - so far this is my favorite entry. You’ve done a great job capturing (and modernizing) the spirit of the original!

Edited by Pattspatt

Thanks for the positive feedback. I must say that the construction of this model gives me a lot of fun. A few more pictures of the cabin, I think I'll be able to make it tilted.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

Thanks. The model begins to take shape. Of course, these blue seats and panels in the cabin, I will replace the dark turquoise.

Edited by Samolot

This is starting to look really good. Shows your experience with the panels.

I would suggest moving those to big curved panels at the back a bit forward to close the gap that is showing the pneumatic pump. I'm not sure if I like the fact that you are stacking translucent pieces for the headlights as this makes them inconsistent with the side ones. Maybe putting non-translucent ones behind the front flat ones would do the job.

Also I feel that using the classic seats is against the spirit of this competition and you should build something that is matching the nowadays approach, either with the fender/seat curved panel or like in the bigger car models with those small curved panels on the sides that you're using on the dashboard.

I'd like to see how it looks with some currently available wheels as well although I understand there are no such wheels matching this theme as of right now anymore.

Seems like a strong contender to the first place if everything works out feature-wise.

I wasn’t sure about where you were going with this when I saw the cab but with the body as well I think it’s looking great! 

the original is on the top of my Technic to buy list when I have some spare money as I think the  design is outstanding. I think your really bringing modern technic design to this :thumbup:

Beautiful remake so far. At first wasn't fan of the azure, but looks good. The only questionable part for me is the roof section, in the original it seems to integrate more or less into the cockpit shape, here it resembles more of a cap.

Edited by syclone

640x360.jpg   640x360.jpg  640x360.jpg 

All pneumatics connected and works great.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, syclone said:

Beautiful remake so far. At first wasn't fan of the azure, but looks good. The only questionable part for me is the roof section, in the original it seems to integrate more or less into the cockpit shape, here it resembles more of a cap.

Thanks.  And what do you think about such a version of the roof?

On 6/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, SaperPL said:

This is starting to look really good. Shows your experience with the panels.

I would suggest moving those to big curved panels at the back a bit forward to close the gap that is showing the pneumatic pump. I'm not sure if I like the fact that you are stacking translucent pieces for the headlights as this makes them inconsistent with the side ones. Maybe putting non-translucent ones behind the front flat ones would do the job.

Also I feel that using the classic seats is against the spirit of this competition and you should build something that is matching the nowadays approach, either with the fender/seat curved panel or like in the bigger car models with those small curved panels on the sides that you're using on the dashboard.

I'd like to see how it looks with some currently available wheels as well although I understand there are no such wheels matching this theme as of right now anymore.

Seems like a strong contender to the first place if everything works out feature-wise.

Thanks. 

I have prepared an alternative version of the cab longer by one stud and with a different roof. But I have no opinion , does it look better?

As for the front lights, I think it's a matter of quality photography, live looks much better.

As for the seats in the cabin. This, there is a problem of color and a small number of elements in dark turquoise color. I think these old seats will be such a connecting element with the original model.

As for the wheels and tires, I have already selected new wheels but I will present them only at the end of construction. It's a surprise.

Edited by Samolot

Now You need more modrn wheels, from this era. Those wide tires from HD could fit,but they have larger diameter, I suppose.

While waiting to order from bricklink I took the model in the open air today to take a pair of test shots on other wheels.  In recent days, I have strengthened the chassis structure. I made small changes to the cab design. 

640x360.jpg   640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 

Edited by Samolot

This is becoming a really nice model. Those wheels are a big improvement, and I really like the white and yellow elements, and the lighter blue gives it the modern look, perfectly within the spirit of the contest :)

This looks really good. Now I wish I picked up a slightly bigger model for contest entry.

With that said, I think those short panels in front of wheel arches on the middle axles are breaking the effect. I don't think that is required, maybe using the same thing that is between the arches would do or the one over the headlights. The current pieces stand out too much. Also I still don't like the use of original seats - there are different solutions to making seats in current technic sets, and I would rather see it being made mostly with pieces that are present in current sets where it is possible (you can't replace the tank obviously). Also the seats in original set have additional head rests.

Apart from this, the design is top notch.

Edited by SaperPL

Looking fantastic! I miss the old wheels but you’ve made the modern white work very well, too. Still my favorite entry so far!

How did I miss this thead until now? I had never seen the original model before, and I think it looks very cool (the blue color probably helps a lot lol). Also 2 Air Tanks in 1 model? Must be worth a fortune today...

But I like your interpretation as well, It lost a bit of the agressive styling of the original with the smooth bodywork. But still recognizable. The added functions are nice, they are just things you expect in a model like this today.

The change in color is sad imo, it would look way better in bright blue, but I know you had no choice.

Well done!

On 6/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, Samolot said:

Thanks.  And what do you think about such a version of the roof?

These new panels look great imho. 

And the white rims :drool: Absolutely lovely!

As far as seats go, I much prefer the ones you're using - the new "solutions" in TLG sets aren't that great looking tbh - the ones made from 3x5 liftarms are, well, liftarms... and the new ones with the panels are hideous.

14 hours ago, Pattspatt said:

Looking fantastic! I miss the old wheels but you’ve made the modern white work very well, too. Still my favorite entry so far!

Thanks. I will make pictures on both, white and silver wheels. 

14 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the original, but damn this looks cool in dark azure! Splendid. :thumbup:

Thanks

On 7/4/2021 at 12:08 AM, Erik Leppen said:

This is becoming a really nice model. Those wheels are a big improvement, and I really like the white and yellow elements, and the lighter blue gives it the modern look, perfectly within the spirit of the contest :)

Thanks

13 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

How did I miss this thead until now? I had never seen the original model before, and I think it looks very cool (the blue color probably helps a lot lol). Also 2 Air Tanks in 1 model? Must be worth a fortune today...

But I like your interpretation as well, It lost a bit of the agressive styling of the original with the smooth bodywork. But still recognizable. The added functions are nice, they are just things you expect in a model like this today.

The change in color is sad imo, it would look way better in bright blue, but I know you had no choice.

Well done!

Thanks, I will try to change collor on photoshop afterwards.

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Do whatever You wan't, but keep these wheels.

I will keep them white

1 hour ago, syclone said:

These new panels look great imho. 

And the white rims :drool: Absolutely lovely!

As far as seats go, I much prefer the ones you're using - the new "solutions" in TLG sets aren't that great looking tbh - the ones made from 3x5 liftarms are, well, liftarms... and the new ones with the panels are hideous.

Thanks. I am waiting for one bricklink order and then i will do somethink with cocpit interior.