Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jos

Gantry robot, superfast up/down/left/right/forward/backwards.

Another machine in the making, this time a gantry system. Main chassis is a T-bot moving up/down/left/right by combining the movement of 2 motors on the main chassis. The third motor also mounted on the main chassis makes that the moving part is very light weight and can move fast!

Instructions available at: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-80519/Mr_Jos/t-bot-gantry-3-axis-superfast-robot/#details

This is the base model, now need to find out what I will make as end-piece and make it actually do something. Making the end piece move with its motor so far away and through many moving parts was not easy, need to improve it by testing some more.

Edited by Mr Jos
Typo

An interesting idea. It took me some time to understand how it works. How many chain links have you used?

13 hours ago, ord said:

Nice. I have an idea for what you can do with it - make it 'draw' on one of these:

51m02kKO4hL._AC_SY580_.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_Art

Ah that seems a good idea, will give it a try next week to make a board, not much time this weekend.

7 hours ago, Jonas said:

An interesting idea. It took me some time to understand how it works. How many chain links have you used?

Yes, a colleague mentioned the T-bot (for real world use in a future machine) and I was wondering if I could make it with Lego. And then tried to add a third movement to the end part, which was pretty hard to get done with only 2 sliding gears available where one is a worm gear and the other the smallest gear made..

Amount of chain links, no idea, if I like the final design I will make instructions and count them haha, half year ago I bought 1'000 links for 75€ on bricklink to make my conveyors for my warehouse handling system, I used some of them for this project.

51265024789_934f5e80d9_b.jpg

The idea is good, but not working so well with this T-bot. It's not very stable as the linear actuator is pretty heavy, and when moving shifting the balance making the accuracy pretty bad. Certainly at higher speeds.

I will try to change the T-bot in a H-bot, that should make it way more accurate, but also much bigger, where this T-bot stayed pretty small.

May I suggest one of these, per axis:

640x186.png

You can add a motor in place of the black connector too as long as you dont let too much weight bend or snap the helical axle.

The motor  and bar ends will provide some saftey protation but you can always add your own using the typical methods.

with a helical axle, depending on if you lock the rotation you can achive the following:

• The carrage does not rotate, but only moves left or right
  • The carrage does not move left or right but only rotates
  • The carrage rotates and moves left or right.

You can use clutch gear and clutch ring to lock the rotation.

Regards, Snipe

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

May I suggest one of these, per axis:

640x186.png

Interesting idea. I did not know that such a spiral rod and a nut existed. May I ask: What properties the rod has? Is it firm like a technic axle? Can it be (firmly) driven by technic components?

Edited by Jonas

18 hours ago, Jonas said:

Interesting idea. I did not know that such a spiral rod and a nut existed. May I ask: What properties the rod has? Is it firm like a technic axle? Can it be (firmly) driven by technic components?

Sure. its a solid axle which can fit into a pin hole and the bar ends fit into barholes/axle holes.

Can you kindly clarify the connection between the red/helical axle and the gray parts? Do those have smooth hole or something else ?

4 hours ago, DrJB said:

Can you kindly clarify the connection between the red/helical axle and the gray parts? Do those have smooth hole or something else ?

It seems to be a sort of nut.

You can see it, e.g. here

23 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Sure. its a solid axle which can fit into a pin hole and the bar ends fit into barholes/axle holes.

Could you please clarify that the ends are in fact bars, not axle connections? I.e. It is connected to the motor only by friction

Can anyone advise is the part number and how long is it ?
Does it come with the “nut”, & part number.

Edited by Doug72

Thanks for the info, those parts might be usefull for GBC use if they are strong enough.

Edited by Doug72

On 6/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, Jonas said:

It seems to be a sort of nut.

You can see it, e.g. here

Thank you very much. I was not aware such part existed :). In fact, the same 'screw' mates with the following part, from the 41130 Friends RollerCoaster Set.

25195.jpg?0

Edited by DrJB