On 7/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, RuTechBrothers said:

It seems that I have finally found the perfect implementation of the rear part of the body and a new option for using the white arch:)

Super idea!

Edited by Milan
Do not quote videos or images from the same page.

lH-ceu_vnPM.jpg?size=2560x1440&quality=9

GFEzGZPI59M.jpg?size=2560x1440&quality=9

I finished working on the back part. If there are any changes, it will be only cosmetic. According to my calculations, this time I definitely hit the scale.

Great use of the wheel arch piece to make the roof shape. Loving how it’s progressing so far

13 minutes ago, amorti said:

Are the old style panels on the front end admissible for the challenge?

I can't see why not.

I really like how this moc is turning out. 

29 minutes ago, amorti said:

Why would they not. They’re not a studded panel, they may be from the transition era from studded to studless but I don’t see why they’re not valid.

Looks cool, but I think you should use less lift arm stacking for the doors imo. Maybe some panel could work (I have no idea what panels are availeble in red)

On 7/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Rebel_Lego said:

Looks cool, but I think you should use less lift arm stacking for the doors imo. Maybe some panel could work (I have no idea what panels are availeble in red)

The doors could be made using LEGO PART 71709 Technic Panel 3 x 7 x 1, but they don't exist in red.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, amorti said:

On 7/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, brickless_kiwi said:

I can't see why not.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, Seasider said:

Why would they not. They’re not a studded panel, they may be from the transition era from studded to studless but I don’t see why they’re not valid.

I see no reason not to use them. I think it's better than modern 5*7 panels and headlight stickers. Although in the latest sets of Techniс, the lego company does this:)

It is also worth remembering that we need to build a physical model and we are limited by the details available.

Edited by RuTechBrothers

On 7/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, amorti said:

On 7/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, brickless_kiwi said:

I can't see why not.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, Seasider said:

The contest is about using contemporary elements (the one available right now in the current sets). That is why using old wheels/tires/panels may have an effect on the final jury vote

I think the front panels are fine. Nowhere does it state that you only use the most modern parts, and well, sticking lights and turn signals through them is fantastic!!

Not so sure if all the beams on the side. Stacking is ok with me but maybe that’s too much in my eye as it looks like a brick wall.

overall so good though. That rear and the roof is superb :thumbup: :wub_drool:

8 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

I think the front panels are fine. Nowhere does it state that you only use the most modern parts, and well, sticking lights and turn signals through them is fantastic!!

In the contest info right at the beginning:

On 5/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Jim said:

This contest is all about recreating a classic studded set, using contemporary studless LEGO Technic. The main voting criteria is whether you have replicated the sets as close as possible!

And in response to question about the word contemporary:

On 7/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, Jim said:

Hehe that's an interesting question. By "contemporary studless LEGO Technic" I mean what you would find in stores today. I would rather see modern tires than retired (pun intended) tires. Close to the original is in terms of functionality and design, not the parts used.

I hope I've made things clear and not started a new discussion :laugh:

Essentially the problem boils down to how the rules were drawn out in context of this statement at the beginning of the contest info.

Edited by SaperPL

Funny that’s the only bit I never read. Whoops! :blush: I just went straight to the rules listing which does not state that.

Conversely to that I don’t see panels as studded so you could argue for any set that was a system built set originally (such as this camper van) the use of any panel could be ok (just reading the rules section)

regardless of this, for me I will have no problem giving some points to builds that use slightly older panels.

The Jury can take it from there...

I don’t see any issues with those panels on the front, they don’t have studs so they’re studless.

Remember it has to be primarily studless if we fully adhered to the rules of not using anything from the studded era we’d have to remove any even length black axle, bush pieces, various pins, just to name a few.

I class this as a valid entry so far and love it

I'm also in the opinion that the panels in question count as studless, mostly by the virtue of having no studs nor anti-studs (unless you count the pinhole as anti-stud). Also, I don't think the spirit of the contest is an absolute ban on any studful-era parts but rather, remaking a studful set into studless in a way that it feels like a modern set. Of course those panels haven't been seen in official sets in many years, but then, same goes for many other parts in sets of other entrants, and there's no telling if TLG will a) discontinue a current part b) bring an old part back. So I don't think that's a good argument against using a certain part.

Besides, that panel looks great and is really nice parts usage. When there is a perfect part for a job, I don't see a reason to discount it because of a more or less arbitrary limitation.

5 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Funny that’s the only bit I never read. Whoops! :blush: I just went straight to the rules listing which does not state that.

Yeah, I did so too and many others did as well. So it's an issue with how the contest was prepared IMO that it's stating things like this on top 

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

I don’t see any issues with those panels on the front, they don’t have studs so they’re studless.

My point is that they are not contemporary, I'm not arguing they are not studless...

The rules of the contest don't take it into account albeit it being stated in the theme of the contest and it makes it a bit muddy here.

Those panels look great and the solution is really cool though, it's just that I'd wish it was fully made with currently available pieces as it feels like something that could be an actual contemporary set :)

Excellent appearance!
The use of a white arch is an ingenious solution. I hope you have time

GetKLExoExQ.jpg?size=2560x1441&quality=9

U0TofFyQQAc.jpg?size=2560x1441&quality=9

I am glad to present the preliminary result of my work.

I just need to add the front seats, the torpedo and finish the rising roof compartment.

Functions:

1) fake engine

2) rear axle with differential

3) opening doors

4) rising roof compartment (still being finalized)

5) HOG on the roof

6) folding table in the salon

@RuTechBrothers I assume you mean surfboard and not torpedo. Last time I checked VW Camper vans aren’t maritime warfare vessels.

model looks great, definitely recognisable 

Edited by Seasider

55 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@RuTechBrothers I assume you mean surfboard and not torpedo. Last time I checked VW Camper vans aren’t maritime warfare vessels.

model looks great, definitely recognisable 

I meant the dashboard:)

I think the use of the fender as the front windshield frame is a bad idea - you should build a sticking out roof with curved panels like in the original set and add slimer sides. It really looks weird and breaks the looks and it would be a bummer to not perfect this at this point.