Sign in to follow this  
Hod Carrier

LEGO Shop Staff Interest

Whenever I go into a LEGO store to buy bits I am always asked by the staff who serve me what it is that I'm building. Because this happens every single time I am convinced that they are just carrying out a company instruction to show interest, so I always give vague answers like "something grey" or "something motorised" depending on what my purchase was on that day because actually they don't care what I'm building. However, overhearing some of the conversations they have with other customers it is clear that at least some of the staff are knowledgeable and interested and aware of the wider LEGO community resources such as Bricklink and I feel happier talking more expansively with them.

It got me wondering to what extent LEGO shop staff really have an interest in the hobby and to what proportion it is simply a job. Also, are my feelings towards them shared with others in the community or am I just being a grumpy cynical old man who really ought to lighten up?

Most of the staff I meet in Cardiff are all fans of something LEGO related. They collect keychains or CMFs, or use BaM to make figures of their friends and family. 

Some of them recognise me (to be fair they are friends of my brother in law who used to work in the same mall) and ask about projects of mine. 

Also, they get a little impressed to see the LUG stickers on my VIP card.

No comment on Grump status :laugh:

I’ve only talked to a couple beyond the usual pleasantries, and they are more than just an employee. I have asked about having some things(and describing them) that was met with a quizzical expression. When the Halloween BaM stuff was showing up I called the store to ask about them & the employee had no idea what I was talking about. It’s definitely hit or miss. 

Back when we used to have a casual Lego store here in Latvia, they never seemed to be taking much interest in the hobby. After all most people think in my country that Lego is a thing that kids play with and usually it's okay for an adult to buy some if they are to give it to a child. It's really one of the downsides we have in the society.

I had a chat with one of the employees at Leicester Square the other day about some older Architecture sets (10+ years old) — we kind of nerded out about our interest in the line. Clearly knew a lot about both those sets and the current offerings in the shop, although I didn't need any help in the shop.

Seems like it's 50/50 with the store nearest me.  I would say you're being a little grumpy if the employees act the way they do here, but I know what you're talking about re: how it can feel forced.  There seems to be a variety of canned questions they ask like "Who are you shopping for today?" in addition to the "what are you building" question at PAB, but I've noticed that the staff who aren't really fans (while pleasant enough) basically let the conversation die quickly whereas the AFOLs you can just tell have real interest and are fun to talk with.  Maybe it's just the natural flow of this store, but it seems like if a customer is really into Lego and starts going into detail with one of the employees who isn't so much, one of the staff AFOLs will drift over and kind of take over the conversation and the other person will discretely float away.  :laugh:

The staff at the stores I have been to are always friendly and give advice to me on pieces to get at the pick a brick wall (however I wouldn't take it as I wouldn't consider 1x2 bricks as a 'rare' part), but I would assume that some have an interest in Lego.

From a more cynical perspective though, regardless of whether they are a fan or just a staff member, they would recognise that as 16/18+ sets are expensive, and adult fans at licensed Lego stores are most likely AFOLs, they would definitely show interest in what you are building as a way of making a connection, hoping to drive sales and ensure you have a positive experience to come back to the stores, especially for adult buyers who aren't necessarily regulars or AFOLs, also they would use it to see what you are interested in to steer you towards similarly themed sets if possible.

I don’t typically buy PAB, but most of the time when I have a conversation with a Lego Store employee, they seem like they’re fans of it and are more knowledgeable about it than they necessarily need to be. Here are some interactions I remember:
-An employee that I talked to at the Disney Springs store was part of a LUG and made custom Mandalorian figures. 
-I had a nice conversation about Ninjago’s history with an employee when I bought a bunch of the 10th Anniversary sets back in January and ended up talking to that same employee again when I bought Ninjago City Gardens in March.

-Talked about all of the Modular Buildings with an employee when I bought the Corner Garage in May.

-Talked with someone about the new Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Bad Batch sets at a Lego Store in New York recently. They are also excited to see the UCS Gunship.

So yeah, some employees might just be asking you just to give good customer service, but there’s a good chance that they are genuinely curious and are fans as well.