evancelt

[COR - CH IV - CAT F] Smuggling Tower, Tanari

Franz Koran saw an opportunity and took it. With the war in Terraversa over, the city of Tanari on the western coast was located away from Oldis' tax collectors in King's Port, the Eslandolan trade barons in Pamu, the strict rule of law in the Oleon territories and Corrington's orderly influence in Westface.

He and his crew claimed a small rocky island in Tanari cove and built a tower. From the tower, they could quickly unload goods from ships and then row them ashore - tax free of course.

He specialized in the finer goods: books, sherries, scented candles, rum. The luxuries went for a pretty penny once they reached the island.

When he saw a ship approaching, he would fire his flintlock pistol into the air and wait to hear the correct countersignal.

Koran kept a stash of Terraversa, Oleonese, and Corlander flags at the ready in case some sort of authority showed up and they needed to appear legitimate.

pirate-island-1.jpg

pirate-island-2.jpg

pirate-island-3.jpg

----

OOC: My submission for CH IV - CAT F: Smugglers Den.

Wanted to try making an island that didn't have any tan or dark tan! Didn't have any wedge plates in nougat, so used quarter round tiles. Also experimented with a stepped SNOT base for the tower.

Nice construction of tower and crane with sympathetic people. Good story, different flags are useful.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:36 AM, NOD said:

Nice construction of tower and crane with sympathetic people. Good story, different flags are useful.

Thanks @NOD!

On 6/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Looks really good! Tempted to build something like this now too to be honest! :P

Thanks! Would love to see what you come up with

On 6/13/2021 at 9:31 AM, Fraunces said:

Nice one!

Thanks!

This one started as a chance to build a classic white / yellow tower and I was going to post this one to Pirate MOCs forum because I felt bad for all the Duplo builds I'm subjecting @Mister Phes to, but decided it could fit the BoBS challenge IV description enough to post here

11 minutes ago, evancelt said:

I felt bad for all the Duplo builds I'm subjecting @Mister Phes

But I love the Duplo builds! :pir-love:

You are effectively demonstrating it is possible to sneak Duplo into MOCs without it looking stupid.

I'd be curious to see how Duplo could be used in a much larger MOC.

I love the colors, especially the nougat and light blue combination (which I loved so much I immediately stole it...).  The yellow is also lovely.  Where are the profile bricks from?  They're not official, I assume.  Great textures on the base of the fort too, the shield tiles work very well!

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

But I love the Duplo builds! :pir-love:

You are effectively demonstrating it is possible to sneak Duplo into MOCs without it looking stupid.

I'd be curious to see how Duplo could be used in a much larger MOC.

Interested to try a larger build with Duplo visible! Some of my larger LEGO-visible builds have tons of Duplo underneath (See BTS shots for Fort Stockton: 

21 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I love the colors, especially the nougat and light blue combination (which I loved so much I immediately stole it...).  The yellow is also lovely.  Where are the profile bricks from?  They're not official, I assume.  Great textures on the base of the fort too, the shield tiles work very well!

Thanks! Nice build! The water colors I used are medium azure under trans clear and trans light blue tiles. Wanted to give even the clear water a slight greeny tinge. Experimenting now with including other azures, turquoises, and sand/dark blues in water.

The ground is medium nougat with some regular nougat on top. I haven't found any regular nougat tiles yet, but will play with those when I do!

The tower yellows are regular yellow and some bright light yellow.

The profile bricks are not official from AliE. Wish TLG would make those colors!

Edited by evancelt

5 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Interested to try a larger build with Duplo visible! Some of my larger LEGO-visible builds have tons of Duplo underneath (See BTS shots for Fort Stockton: 

You mean this?

On 2/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, evancelt said:

fort-duplo.jpg

First step was a Duplo base! 37 x 40 Duplos studs = 74 x 80 Lego studs!

3 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

You mean this?

That's the one! Also in the BTS shots for this one: 

I can also imagine Duplos being used in a visible way if there was some forced perspective used... like a Duplo mountain in the distance out of a LEGO window

This build also has some Duplo in the background (a castle gate, bridge, and brick-built sky): 

Edited by evancelt

4 minutes ago, evancelt said:

I can also imagine Duplos being used in a visible way if there was some forced perspective used... like a Duplo mountain in the distance out of a LEGO window

It seemed to work well when you used those wall pieces.

Is there a way to connect Duplo to regular bricks or do they just sit on top?

Just now, Mister Phes said:

It seemed to work well when you used those wall pieces.

Is there a way to connect Duplo to regular bricks or do they just sit on top?

Yeah Duplos connect! Duplos have an open stud so 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 regular bricks connect right on top of them snugly and securely.

2x1, 2x3 LEGO don't fit, though.

One of the best things about Duplo is that the colors are a 100% match for system bricks.

A Duplo plate is the same height as a system brick.

8 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Yeah Duplos connect! Duplos have an open stud so 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 regular bricks connect right on top of them snugly and securely.

Quickly patent this technique before the masses steal it! :pir-oh3:

On 6/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, Mister Phes said:

Quickly patent this technique before the masses steal it! :pir-oh3:

If I had any Duplo bricks I'd do the same thing. They're so helpful.