Wurger49

[MOD] Grand Castle Upgrade Modifications From Two 31120 Medieval Castle Sets, No Extra Pieces Required

After the Drawbridge experiment, I recently built my 2nd set as the main build, surprised me how it looked putting them back to back when opened.

It's probably the most boring way to get a larger area of Castle with 2 sets (especially considering official 2nd and 3rd builds), but still an easy option, especially for like kids to play with 1 bigger castle, and then still having 2 castles against eachother without any pieces changed.

For pure display I wouldn't do that option, and this version of the taller castle still looks impressive.

Edited by TeriXeri

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

After the Drawbridge experiment, I recently built my 2nd set as the main build, surprised me how it looked putting them back to back when opened.

It's probably the most boring way to get a larger area of Castle with 2 sets (especially considering official 2nd and 3rd builds), but still an easy option, especially for like kids to play with 1 bigger castle, and then still having 2 castles against eachother without any pieces changed.

For pure display I wouldn't do that option, and this version of the taller castle still looks impressive.

Nice, keen to see some photos, the official main build pretty good I got to say, curious to see how your drawbridge looks on the other side. 

3 hours ago, Wurger49 said:

Nice, keen to see some photos, the official main build pretty good I got to say, curious to see how your drawbridge looks on the other side. 

I actually took the drawbridge apart, to make 2 main builds (I always tend to make main build of a set anyway to check completeness of pieces, it's more fun then sorting and counting, and the drawbridge MOC set had not been built as main build at the time yet), and then put them back to back to test how it'd look, it forms a Castle that's about 55cm x 35cm , altho symmetrical (180 degrees) so pretty boring to display, that's why I suggested it's more of a playset which can turn into 2 seperate mainbuild castles.

I'll start MOCing the Castle at some point later again, I just felt this topic was the most relevant place, as it discusses what can be done with 2 sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I actually took the drawbridge apart, to make 2 main builds (I always tend to make main build of a set anyway to check completeness of pieces, it's more fun then sorting and counting, and the drawbridge MOC set had not been built as main build at the time yet), and then put them back to back to test how it'd look, it forms a Castle that's about 55cm x 35cm , altho symmetrical (180 degrees) so pretty boring to display, that's why I suggested it's more of a playset which can turn into 2 seperate mainbuild castles.

I'll start MOCing the Castle at some point later again, I just felt this topic was the most relevant place, as it discusses what can be done with 2 sets.

oh right, I get you now.  

I built my own version of this Mod, with a bunch of added details.

Double Castle Mod - OpenDouble Castle Mod - Attack

Changes include:

• Reintegrated hinges, with 2 studs added depth
• Working hoist
• Full interior floor with central well
• Throne room is 1 stud longer, added doors and a fancy balcony
• Blacksmith’s forge has wood storage and extra tools
• Larder, armoury and secret treasure cave in the gatehouse
• Second treasure chest behind removable wall under the stairs
• Phoenix shrine becomes a cage for the red dragon, with feeding window and a wooden balcony above. 
• Decorative shields and cattle skull
• Moved gargoyles to the left side and added vines to a big grey wall
• Expanded the moat from 2 studs wide to 6
• Added several desks, tables, benches and chairs
• Dragon has a larger snout and bottom jaw
• A duck

More pics on Flickr.  Thanks Richard for your excellent creation!  Building this was a lot of fun and I wouldn't have tried if I didn't have your version to work from.