ddavid

10291 Queer Eye Apartment Set

I completely forgot about this rumor until I was scrolling through trying to find the Ghostbusters thread. A LOT of rumors this year which seem to be going quiet...

On 7/27/2021 at 10:14 PM, Brick Cucumber said:

I completely forgot about this rumor until I was scrolling through trying to find the Ghostbusters thread. A LOT of rumors this year which seem to be going quiet...

The first minifigure leak is out now... The one with the hairpiece from the everyone is awesome set.

I'm curious as to what other one-off, TV or movie licensed non-LEGO-Ideas (or offshoots of Ideas sets like the Friends Apartments) sets there are. Off the top of my head, I only recall Stranger Things. I hadn't heard about this show previous to these rumors, but then again I'm not big on reality TV. Can anyone that knows about this show chime in as to how popular it is? It's on its fifth season, which not all shows can boast that longevity, but to me it seems like a niche, out of the blue franchise to dedicate a set to.

5 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

I'm curious as to what other one-off, TV or movie licensed non-LEGO-Ideas (or offshoots of Ideas sets like the Friends Apartments) sets there are. Off the top of my head, I only recall Stranger Things. I hadn't heard about this show previous to these rumors, but then again I'm not big on reality TV. Can anyone that knows about this show chime in as to how popular it is? It's on its fifth season, which not all shows can boast that longevity, but to me it seems like a niche, out of the blue franchise to dedicate a set to.

Dude... same

This rumor was the first time I've heard of this show

How did they go from worldwide popular shows like Stranger Things, Friends and Seinfeld...... to this?

I dont really get it either

Edited by Robert8

When i saw the minifig i recognized the show. It’s a show where they rearrange your house, right?

On 7/23/2021 at 11:29 PM, williejm said:

Five seasons on Netflix that have been very popular, specials in Japan and Australia -  i think it’s fair to say it has a decent audience and reach. Personally I’ve never seen Seinfield, though. 

The leaked minifig looks great, they captured Tan France’s likeness very well :thumbup: It‘s been quite a while since we last got minifigs based on real people (the last time being the DFB CMF series IIRC)

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The leaked minifig looks great, they captured Tan France’s likeness very well :thumbup: It‘s been quite a while since we last got minifigs based on real people (the last time being the DFB CMF series IIRC)

Notable mention to Amelia Earhart ;) 

Agreed, minifig looks great. Wonder if those are the correct trousers though - would have expected a French Tuck for him!

2 minutes ago, williejm said:

Notable mention to Amelia Earhart ;) 

Whoops, forgot about the GWP set :blush: 

3 minutes ago, williejm said:

Wonder if those are the correct trousers though - would have expected a French Tuck for him!

Despite some errors here and there, leaked minifigs are mostly assembled correctly, so I assume that‘s the final minifig :classic: Too bad about that detail, but the rest of the minifig looks good enough to make up for that transgression :snicker:

With a leak like this it does look like a reality, I have no idea who the target market is for this, it's very niche. Not sure there's many viewers of a makeover show featuring some badly dressed men that are after a Lego set based on it. Probably going to be a bigger flop than Vidiyo. You really have to wonder who at Lego is coming up with these ideas, their market research appears clueless.

7 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

With a leak like this it does look like a reality, I have no idea who the target market is for this, it's very niche. Not sure there's many viewers of a makeover show featuring some badly dressed men that are after a Lego set based on it. Probably going to be a bigger flop than Vidiyo. You really have to wonder who at Lego is coming up with these ideas, their market research appears clueless.

The show is remarkably popular in certain circles. It's also very popular in fashion as the French Tuck can be seen throughout the city. I often play a game where i'm driving or walkind in my city and point out the fans of the show since they use the French Tuck. It's also been just a fun show built on empathy and caring for your fellow human being which I feel a lot of people have been yearning for as of late. It's definitely not a show in terms with ubiquitous popularity, but I'd expect it to sell fairly well. Nothing can remotely compare to the crash adn burn that is Vidyo!

I assume their target are adult fans of the show that aren't normal lego users, thereby broading their reach.My wife is wanting it and she's not the keenest on lego sets and will go nicely on our shelf with the Fab Five's books. This broadening reach seems to be a major theme throughout LEGO these days. 

8 hours ago, williejm said:

Five seasons on Netflix that have been very popular, specials in Japan and Australia -  i think it’s fair to say it has a decent audience and reach. Personally I’ve never seen Seinfield, though. 

What is this Australia special? I don't recall seeing this available on US Netflix. I would have thought it'd pop up on suggestions. 

8 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

Probably going to be a bigger flop than Vidiyo.

Vidiyo is a kid-oriented theme with a huge marketing campaign and dozens of new moulds and a myriad of exclusive prints, all of which is very expensive. The Queer Eye set is targeted towards adults, doesn‘t include new moulds as far as we know, and is probably a timed exclusive so it‘s produced at a much lower capacity, like all D2C sets are.

How on earth can it even come close to be as much of a flop as Vidiyo? :laugh_hard: Even with only a single copy sold (or none) this wouldn‘t be a flop compared to Vidiyo

2 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

The show is remarkably popular in certain circles. It's also very popular in fashion as the French Tuck can be seen throughout the city. I often play a game where i'm driving or walkind in my city and point out the fans of the show since they use the French Tuck. It's also been just a fun show built on empathy and caring for your fellow human being which I feel a lot of people have been yearning for as of late. It's definitely not a show in terms with ubiquitous popularity, but I'd expect it to sell fairly well. Nothing can remotely compare to the crash adn burn that is Vidyo!

I assume their target are adult fans of the show that aren't normal lego users, thereby broading their reach.My wife is wanting it and she's not the keenest on lego sets and will go nicely on our shelf with the Fab Five's books. This broadening reach seems to be a major theme throughout LEGO these days. 

What is this Australia special? I don't recall seeing this available on US Netflix. I would have thought it'd pop up on suggestions. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/06/yass-queens-queer-eye-cast-descend-on-rural-australian-town-for-mini-makeover

have to say it wasn’t the best … ;)

2 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

After researching what exactly a "French tuck" is, it would appear that that style was only given a name on the show, because that form of styling has been around for a long time, don't make the mistake that people who wear clothing that way are doing so because of a reality TV programme. Judging by photos from the series the men don't dress well themselves, and the fashion "expert" seems to make a lot of fashion faux pas himself!

Your wife is married to a Lego fan, so that's why she would be inclined to the set. But viewers of reality TV are not the people interested in buying toys of the TV shows. There doesn't appear to be any other merchandise based on the series (Funko pops would be a good indicator) so I don't know who at Lego did the market research on this. No other toy company sees this as a good license.

The only reality show I could think of where merchandise would do well is the Kardashians. But Netflix shows like Queer Eye, Selling Sunset, Tidying Up don't make good ideas for a Lego set.

Anyone who doesn’t know the show, might wanna watch a couple of episodes to understand what it’s about and where the appeal is. It is life affirming, empathetic, supportive, and empowering. It’s in no way just a makeover show or a gay show, and the presenters have crossed over into many other media, music videos, kids books etc.

2 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

The only reality show I could think of where merchandise would do well is the Kardashians. But Netflix shows like Queer Eye, Selling Sunset, Tidying Up don't make good ideas for a Lego set.

You seem to assume that only people who know the show would buy this set, which is not necessarily true. If it‘s a good-looking apartment with interesting pieces and minifigs, plenty of AFOLs will buy it whether they‘re familiar with the source material or not. Heck, this set marks the very first time TLG has acquired a license I‘ve never even heard of before and I still want to buy it :laugh:

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Antoni’s minifigure (minus hair, and devoid of bum-bag) has leaked 

Can’t wait!!

3 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

So we expecting this to be revealed in a couple of weeks? 

Matthew Aston who designs all of the gay themed Lego sets, said expect it to be unveiled in a couple weeks.

20 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

Matthew Aston who designs all of the gay themed Lego sets, said expect it to be unveiled in a couple weeks.

Haha ‘gay themed’- Gay is up there with Pirates, Castle and City now :laugh_hard:

24 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Haha ‘gay themed’- Gay is up there with Pirates, Castle and City now :laugh_hard:

Your pirates, castle & city *aren’t* ‘gay themed’ already? I always figured that was why they were mostly male minifigures … 🤷🏽‍♂️

23 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

Wait, “all gay themed Lego sets”? You mean, there are more sets (beside Everyone is Awesome” and “Queer Eyes” sets)?