Sign in to follow this  
Brickend

[TC20] Pneumatic Front-End Loader (8459/8439/8464)

It's looking great!

I believe the rules do permit using 3rd party hose, though, if that's more convenient.

11 hours ago, Brickend said:

I also wanted to share at this point before I take off the compressor system prior to entry into the competition - it turned out to be a failed experiment as it doesn't deliver a enough air when wheel driven to be worthwhile, but I thought some would find it interesting - and something to think about for motorization. 

I'm not sure how much space you have available, but I think that having dual compressors and (or) gearing it up for a faster flow rate may help solve this problem. Cool concept. Solid build so far.

1 hour ago, P McCatty said:

I'm not sure how much space you have available, but I think that having dual compressors and (or) gearing it up for a faster flow rate may help solve this problem. Cool concept. Solid build so far.

We're definitely thinking alike, unfortunately it didn't work out! - It did have dual compressors (one each side) and they were geared up as much as possible until the point that the resistance in the drive-train from turning them was starting to overcome the traction available (especially through differentials). This was still a lot slower than a motor driven compressor solution and the performance to justify them just wasn't there. My original hope was that they would come close to supplying enough air to fulfill a typical load cycle, but the reality was that they barely offered any assistance. Fun to test, but definitely should have built a test rig rather than laboring over cramming it into this project!

In the end, I went for completely stock functions and submitted the entry with the more contemporary balloon tires, as I had to concede that these were perhaps the closest in appearance. But for the sake of nostalgia and interest, I thought I'd post the other options at the bottom. Will also be trying the Zetros tires when they arrive.

After looking at the later front end loader sets, I also decided to "contemporarise" the model as much as possible as creating compromises just to reproduce a studded detail seemed a bit pointless, such as using grey liftarms next to air tank to mimic / continue the grey from the valves instead of just panelling it. I also tidied up the rear bumpers, steps and cabin roof.

800x600.jpg

800x647.jpg

800x814.jpg

800x557.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Great job, and I am happy this model came to completion. I also like the modern balloon tires, as I think they work the best. I like the way your modernized the rear, both the engine cover and the rear bumper. I think I would like a little more slope in the rear grill, but that's minor for me.

Somohow I prefer the one with 68.7 tires. Honestly looks better than I expected

5 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job, and I am happy this model came to completion. I also like the modern balloon tires, as I think they work the best. I like the way your modernized the rear, both the engine cover and the rear bumper. I think I would like a little more slope in the rear grill, but that's minor for me.

Thanks for the useful feedback - you have a good eye for the slope;  I didn't think it looked quite right, and after checking, it's a stud out - that's the problem with getting too close to one's own creations! Having played around with it, unfortunately there's no quick fix without ditching the air tank or moving the pump, which is heavily integrated into the chassis.

3 hours ago, 1gor said:

Somohow I prefer the one with 68.7 tires. Honestly looks better than I expected

27 S or 34 R? :grin:

1 minute ago, Brickend said:

27 S or 34 R? :grin:

27 S :wink:

(Somehow Android's autocorrect cuts or adds letters to words when needed :wacko:)

6 hours ago, Brickend said:

Thanks for the useful feedback - you have a good eye for the slope;  I didn't think it looked quite right, and after checking, it's a stud out - that's the problem with getting too close to one's own creations! Having played around with it, unfortunately there's no quick fix without ditching the air tank or moving the pump, which is heavily integrated into the chassis.

Yeah, I wouldn't change it, its a minor note. And it would require changing the side panels which I really like. 

Remembering this model from my childhood, I got one from ebay and rebuild it somewhat more modern. The main model is stock except a few liftarms instead of the old technic bricks. In addition, many tiles and extras to fill up the gaps and create a more badass look. Reworked the rear bumper parts (instead of the stickers now there are real lights). Don't know if I like the flat silver modified tiles on the V6, but for now i will keep it. I am thinking about the use of one or two panels for the rear end. I think this model is my absolute TOP favorite of all technical models. Playabillity, technical aspects and of course, the use of real pneumatic with an air-tank. Oh and the black 3L connectors ... why are they nowadays ugly blue??? It's sad that LEGO is not using those anymore.

20221223-142847.jpg
20221223-142857.jpg
20221223-142902.jpg
20221223-142911.jpg
20221223-142922.jpg
20221223-142932.jpg
20221223-142937.jpg
20221223-142954.jpg
20221223-143018.jpg
20221223-143038.jpg

Edited by harrygee