Sebeus I

[MOC] Ancient Egyptian Cat Worshipping

51230080654_98c9574f6f_c.jpg

This wall painting depicts a scene based on this youtube video.

Anyone who has a feline companion may have observed the knocking-down-cups-from-the-table syndrome many cats seem to be showing.
And while there is probably extended scientific literature around to explain this behaviour, the general consensus seems to be that cats are monsters but we still love them.
I reckon the ancient Egyptians knew this long before we did so I thought it to be a funny Idea to make a painted wall fragment displaying precisely that. At the same time I grabbed this opportunity to do an extensive SNOT study.

I wasn’t able to include this in my Egyptian temple,  it is too big and the yellow background doesn’t match the rest of the temple (some constructions required a specific part that is not available in tan).
I did like working in this scale, it allowed me to put in some more details such as the golden anklet, the striped hair and belt on the female figure. Incase anyone would wonder, the hieroglyphs are printed tiles originating from the very first Star Wars Naboo Fighter.

Building instructions available at Rebrickable!

Edited by Sebeus I
Added link

Fabulous mosaic — very well executed. LEGO lends itself well to the geometry of Ancient Egyptian art. It's great seeing what new builds you come up with. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome way this is puzzled together using LEGO "math" within the parts shapes and sizes.

that is incredible!

I immediately said to myself that is a lot of SNOT! And you did a great job calculating everything. That is always a good feeling when it all comes together like that. I can't wrap my head around it. Kudos!

Inspired topic, and superb execution - brought a smile to my face, well done!

10 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

that is incredible!

I immediately said to myself that is a lot of SNOT! And you did a great job calculating everything. That is always a good feeling when it all comes together like that. I can't wrap my head around it. Kudos!

Thanks, that was indeed some calculation, I designed this one on paper :pir-classic:.

Hilarious! Great job. Yellow works surprisingly well as a background, not any less well than tan.

This is amazing man! Great techniques and I know the plight of these ancient Egyptians far too intimately, though the offending deity in my case is multi-colored striped instead of grey. Haha. 

I love the figure, especially her belt execution. Actually I love every part of it, the color for the drink works so well for this palette.

Great job, again. 

Edited by Supersick_

Great shaping of Egyptian art-style. Seems as bricks and snot are perfect to capture their style. The cat on the walls has a great shape, and it's recognizable. I don't have a cat, so that's probably why I didn't recognize the knocked-down cup. My favourite is the figure in a white robe, which looks realistic. Well done.

Well done. The ancient Egyptians worshiped cats, and mine seem to think they are direct descendants of that line. The colors are a fit for a real Egyptian temple from what I have seen as well. Bravo.

Not as interesting as the front, although perhaps it is for anyone who'd want to replicate it I guess :grin:.

Edited by Sebeus I

Besides building on my favourite theme (Pirate ships), you opted for my second best theme, cats (well something like that doesn't really exist but... You know). Can't wait to see the full diorama.

Edited by blackdeathgr

very cool , Any chance to make more scene?:pir-love:

Seems to me the front leg's two brown slope is just embbed there without clip to anything? or I fail to figure out how to make it.

On 15 Jun 2021 at 6:41 PM, Faladrin said:

Lovely build my friend. Your Egyptian Diorama will be awesome !

On 18 Jun 2021 at 11:09 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Besides building on my favourite theme (Pirate ships), you opted for my second best theme, cats (well something like that doesn't really exist but... You know). Can't wait to see the full diorama.

Thanks guys!

10 hours ago, colorant said:

very cool , Any chance to make more scene?:pir-love:

Seems to me the front leg's two brown slope is just embbed there without clip to anything? or I fail to figure out how to make it.

That is correct, those and the top part of the cup are fixed in place with friction alone. I try to avoid this as much as possible but for some designs there's really no alternative.

I'm working on a large Egyptian scene but decided to post this fragment separately because it doesn't match with the style and scale of the rest of the scene.

Building instructions are now online!

Rebrickable

I worked with someone to make this happen but I do plan to do more building instructions of some of my other models in the future, on my own account.