TomSkippy

[GoC] Class 4 Xebec - Dirty Rat

Not much to say, playing around with Stud.io hull shapes and rigging techniques. Thought I'd make some progress on the Shipping Nabob title.

51226302087_971ac5a734_c.jpg

I probably enjoyed building the beakhead the most. The thin slopes and inverted front are simple yet sophisticated (perfect for a Xebec!)

51226302082_d22bcac267_c.jpg

I like how the rigging turned out, though it took way too long. I think I got the hang of it (mostly). Already working on the next one!

51228080175_cb07ef78b0_c.jpg

Stern... nothing fancy, but I like how trim she is.

51226302142_5a24e44093_c.jpg

Final shot, let me know what you think!

Wow, have you come a long way my friend! 

I like her, she is genuinely impressive. There room for improvement if your interested.

It seems the the quarterdeck could move farther astern by several studs and perhaps angle up a bit more to hint at greater sheer. I'd also say that the main mast should be the tallest. The fore and mizzen are good, just make the main taller.

I'm glad I checked in to see this.

Cheers :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

That is a gorgeous xebec, mate!  Beautiful work with the curves on the hull, and the raked masts and rigging are fantastic as well.  The deck looks superb from what I can see of it too, and even if they are Corry's colors, the hints of red and gold along with the flag really give this that indescribable pop of color that sets it over the top.  Amazing stuff, mate! 

Wonderful xebec! Great job with the angled masts and the low, sleek lines of the hull. I can never get them to look right. A big :thumbup: for this ship!

Great ship, very clean presentation, the hull lines are really good and so is the rigging.  The big Corry flag adds the perfect bit of bright color too. 

This one is really beautiful. The main mast could be taller, the shrouds can stay as they are, I think. I'm not very familiar with Xebecs, so I leave it with that. 

Kurigan already explained everything well already anyways.

She is a beauty, Tom! I am really impressed with her curves and overall shape. As Kurigan said, the main is probably a bit short, and to my taste, I would probably have given the mizzen a rake similar to the main, although I am not sure if that would be historically accurate though!:pir-tongue:

To me, she does look a bit chubbier than your typical Xebec, which I think is very well suited for a merchant Xebec. Further sheer could perhaps help make her somewhat more rakish looking, but all in all, this is an excellent build! Your pride in the beakhead is well-placed as in your use of slopes. Would she be buildable in real bricks?

A definite :thumbup: from me on the GoC.

And on that, is she going to be given to COR? I seem to remember that the challenge stipulates that some of the vessels must be given to the crown, but we never discussed how to handle "foringers" joining. At the very least, we will pay handsomely for the moc, if it is for Corlander use.

13 hours ago, Bregir said:

A definite :thumbup: from me on the GoC.

And on that, is she going to be given to COR? I seem to remember that the challenge stipulates that some of the vessels must be given to the crown, but we never discussed how to handle "foringers" joining. At the very least, we will pay handsomely for the moc, if it is for Corlander use.

First is going to get himself punished, and then we can discuss where this smart xebec will end !

As I've said before, I don't know much about ships, but this looks awesome!

Great brick built hull @TomSkippy! The place where the aft section of the ship hull meets the middle seems a little abrupt, but it works really well overall

Wonderful job rendering the digital rigging - looks great!

Fun to see the different angles on the mast raking. I like the smaller size of the ship, would be fun to have a fleet of these interspersed with the larger frigates.

I'm sure Corrington would love to add this ship to our ranks. A GoC :thumbup: from me!

When I first posted in this thread, I neglected to say something important - this is one of the very best xebecs I've ever seen. I also neglected to say that you've been:

frontpaged.png

Keep up the great work @TomSkippy!

That looks very good! Really enjoy how you made this one, it all looks so smooth. Awesome job!

Wow! Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

@kurigan I appreciate your suggestions, even with the GoC approval, I will implement them in the next few weeks!

@Bregir Other than some colors and a minor tweak here or there, I think it should be build-able with bricks. The hull/deck was modified later in the build, I imagine it’s a little weak and messy. The masts probably would need a different attachment method as well!

About the GoC… I didn’t plan on a Xebec, and don’t really understand them. This challenge forced me to work on it. I don’t know if I’m much better with them, I looked at models and copied as best I could! :pir-laugh:

Also, I don’t know if this one will be sold to Corrington, only one of the ships needs to be given to the crown…