Sign in to follow this  
Thirdwigg

[TC20] 8854 Power Crane Update (Free Instructions)

20 hours ago, mpj said:

What I especially like of this model is that you kept the "toy-like" look, as the original one. Looks like a vintage toy built with modern elements. Great job!

Thanks, and keeping the feel without a direct copy was the intent. Glad you like the look.

19 hours ago, 1gor said:

Honestly 62.4 IMHO fit better because it looks to me that 68.7 tires are a bit to big when compared to vehicle width

But it looks great also with 68.7 tires

17 hours ago, emielroumen said:

I prefer the 62.4 wheels too, that is the perfect size.

I'm glad I posted the picture to get this feedback, but the yellow was important, so the 68.7 tires were the plan from the start. I tend to overtire my Mogs, and this one is no exception. Yeah, they look a little big, but a bigger look always looks better to my eye. Hopefully all you voters agree with me... or at least ignore the tire issue enough to see the other good parts of this MOC.:classic:

I'm glad the size looks good to your eyes @Jundis.

Alright, free instructions are done and are posted on Rebrickable. Have fun building the 8854 Update, or just use the document to see how the build was done and the features of the MOC.

51363379464_e4115d863d_b.jpg

Thanks for the (free) instructions! I need to get on BL for just a few parts it seems, although I might alter the appearance a bit to make it work with bricks I have at my disposal.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, emielroumen said:

Thanks for the (free) instructions! I need to get on BL for just a few parts it seems, although I might alter the appearance a bit to make it work with bricks I have at my disposal.

You bet! I'm glad you have most of the parts to give it a go, and hopefully the rest of the parts won't be too much of a hassle to get.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:56 AM, 1gor said:

I think we have a winner 🏆

I hope you're right!:classic:

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I hope you're right!:classic:

I have found (in the neantime) 4 updated sets in this content that I really like and since I'm Unimog fan, yours is a bit better than @Seasider's simply couse added motor and suspension (and rear portal axles hubs).

@1gor - I’m not to sure whether to take that as a compliment 😆

I just decided early on to remake one of my original Technic sets (I still have them all, sadly no boxes though) and 8848 was my favourite.

@Thirdwigg’s 8854 is yet another model from my Dark Ages, in fact lots of entries are, and I was never aware of this.

I’m just loving the variety in all the models and finding some “new” old models I hadn’t been aware of before. 

@Seasider it is a mix actually; I'm bigger fan of Unimog without crane, but was hoping that you would add those functionalities like @Thirdwigg did. I still think you made very good job and personally I prefer your tire choice, but as I said this (8854) remake includes more features.

Kind regards

39 minutes ago, 1gor said:

@Seasider it is a mix actually; I'm bigger fan of Unimog without crane, but was hoping that you would add those functionalities like @Thirdwigg did. I still think you made very good job and personally I prefer your tire choice, but as I said this (8854) remake includes more features.

Kind regards

In the end i decided that just adding the seats and modernising the functions was as far as I wanted to go. I thought about making the cab tip or adding a fake engine, but space and connections are very limited and o felt if I kept on tweaking I’d make a model worse. An engineer always needs to realise when to stop tweaking (I often have to tell my team that). But if you’d like the stud.io file of my model you’re welcome, just PM me. I’m not skilled enough like @Thirdwigg to make instructions.

5 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’m just loving the variety in all the models and finding some “new” old models I hadn’t been aware of before. 

I'm with you @Seasider, watching the diversity of MOCs in the contest develop and finish has been a joy. I hope I don't pirate too many votes from your great entry, as it deserves to be well rewarded in the voting stage. But thanks again @1gor for your affirmation.

4 hours ago, Seasider said:

In the end i decided that just adding the seats and modernising the functions was as far as I wanted to go. I thought about making the cab tip or adding a fake engine, but space and connections are very limited and o felt if I kept on tweaking I’d make a model worse. An engineer always needs to realise when to stop tweaking (I often have to tell my team that). But if you’d like the stud.io file of my model you’re welcome, just PM me. I’m not skilled enough like @Thirdwigg to make instructions.

Learning to stop tweaking a project is a lesson I have yet to learn. Maybe on the next project...:classic: 

And please don't think making instructions has to do with a level of skill I have so much as a lack of focus on the other projects (both LEGO and domestic) that I should be doing instead.

After pedantically going over every submission and vetting it against the rules, and then picking out from the top 10 from my list, I've selected this model as the best, BUT it was close to being in tie with Arctic Rescue by Kio Liex and howitzer's hovercraft.

What gave you the edge was that that I could see some really cool building techniques incorporated into the chassis and that was decisive over the other builds that went unscathed through my rule vetting :)

Good Luck Thirdwigg!

52 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

After pedantically going over every submission and vetting it against the rules, and then picking out from the top 10 from my list, I've selected this model as the best, BUT it was close to being in tie with Arctic Rescue by Kio Liex and howitzer's hovercraft.

What gave you the edge was that that I could see some really cool building techniques incorporated into the chassis and that was decisive over the other builds that went unscathed through my rule vetting :)

Good Luck Thirdwigg!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it, and that it received your vote.