Sign in to follow this  
Thirdwigg

[TC20] 8854 Power Crane Update (Free Instructions)

I couldn't sit this contest out. It pulls on my nostalgic strings too much, so know I had to participate.

I started with a list of 32 sets that I wanted to consider. Some were immediately thrown out for lack of interest (6537, 6615, 6524, 6590, 8836, 6698, 6669, 8835, 5541, 8286, 59356331, 8839, 6646, 6334, 6670, 8840, 8872, 8280). I had a top thirteen, and started throwing more out for various reasons (How do I do the canopy of 6887, 6542 and 6541 would be too big to do them justice today, 8880 is too sacred to do well, how do I do the motorcycle of 6354 or the cars of 6337 and 6335 (I'm watching you close @mpj)). Some I would like to do at another time (6344, 8858, the helicopter of 8062).

Finally I came down to three that I created a MOC up for: 6357, 8855, and 8854. I may still do one of the others at another time, but for now I am going to focus on 8854, unless I run into problems. The set is iconic, well loved, and the right size.

8854-1.jpg

I am going to keep the scale pretty close (1.07:1), and I'll keep all the features. At this point, I plan to add a fake engine and suspension to the features 8854 already has (steering, outriggers, boom slewing, boom lift, boom extension, winch).

I was hoping to have more done by now, but I guess it took me a while to decide on which set to do.

51224596596_bbc828deaf_b.jpg

It's pretty rough right now, but I have the size set, and a schematic of where all the mechanical parts are going to go. We'll see how this goes....

Edited by Thirdwigg

When the contest was announced, I've immediately thought, Thirdwigg please do the 8854! Who else should do one of the earlier TLG Unimogs, if not the Mog's master? Looking forward to it! I have a soft spot (to say the least) for Mogs myself, but I way too slow of a builder for a contest.

So excited about that one!

I was wondering 8848 or 8854, which one you'll choose for TC20 (since you said that Unimog is always interesting...)?

Looking forward...

:blush:

They're both Unimogs and very well made sets. It would be VERY hard to make them better and not just re-skin them studless

I do very much dislike the steering wheel under the roof on 8848 and I'm happy that TLG dropped that idea in future sets

Such a sweet set 8854 is. I wish I owned the original. This sould be interesting! 

7 hours ago, 1974 said:

They're both Unimogs and very well made sets. It would be VERY hard to make them better and not just re-skin them studless

I do very much dislike the steering wheel under the roof on 8848 and I'm happy that TLG dropped that idea in future sets

Agree with that completely.

So it turns out I am having little free time to spend this project. Hopefully that will change. I spent a hour tonight setting the drivetrain parameters, and this is what I have. I’ll clean it up, and then start adding the outriggers and turntable function next. I’ll need to work on the boom soon.

For the time being, I am happy the steering, suspension, and I4 is all going to fit. 
51237955729_dde6ca4b91_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Interesting, how do You plan to firmly connect front wheels?

Basically like this. The steering rack goes on the bottom.

Looks great so far! I love the rim/tire combo with the tires from the 1989 Batmobile.

@JLiu15 Thanks, I think I may use the Batmobile tires for every build I do from now on. They're Great!

Tonight everything clicked into place. All the lower mechanicals are placed and working: Rear wheel drive with portal axle, I4 engine, four wheel suspension, front steering with HOG, rear outriggers controlled HOG, crane rotation, and a stiff chassis. I'll need to rework some colors and the bodywork may change some specific parts, but for the most part, this is it.

51241191621_3b589270bd_b.jpg

Next up a crack at the boom.

20 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks, I think I may use the Batmobile tires for every build I do from now on.

You could even put the Zetros tires on here when the set comes out for a more off-road look :classic:

21 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

You could even put the Zetros tires on here when the set comes out for a more off-road look :classic:

They would be a great addition. Hopefully they will fit.

And be available soon. 

Time for this project seems to be in short supply, but I was able to get enough time tonight to draft a boom. I tried a gearbox for the extension, and tried adding the winch to the arm, but in the end the simple design worked and looked the best. I'll sit with this for a couple of days and clean up some of the rough edges, but  I'm pleased with the basic shape and design. It looks clean and functions smoothly.

51263139268_f47eb40949_b.jpg

I have some bodywork placeholders in place to give me and idea of the global shape. I'll work on the cab next and make some decisions about what to do with those wide fenders on the original set.

We'll see when I have more time to devote to this project.

Very nice to see this progress

I am especially curious about the cab design, you are just teasing us here with this pic :D

On 6/12/2021 at 4:42 AM, Thirdwigg said:

four wheel suspension,

How did you do the suspension? I only see a front pendular axle, are there rubber parts within?

19 hours ago, Jundis said:

Very nice to see this progress

I am especially curious about the cab design, you are just teasing us here with this pic :D

How did you do the suspension? I only see a front pendular axle, are there rubber parts within?

Sorry about the tease, but I'm not ready to show the bodywork yet. I need to be confident with what I have going first.

The suspension is a front and rear pendular axle. Both are linked together by a liftarm on the right and left sides of the truck. When one wheel on the front axle goes over an obstacle, the liftarms move the rear axle in a opposite rotation, keeping the truck balanced on all four wheels. It's simple, but effective at this scale.

I spent some time on vacation, and I am ready to go on this project. I have a little time left, so hopefully I can meet the deadline. 
51328433567_ab442309dc_b.jpg

I have a draft of the cab, which is a mix of 8854 and Classic Unimog. I may try to soften the later for the former. The cab is a little narrow for my liking, but it stays true to the original. It still looks small to me in all dimensions, but as I continue on this project, it seems like the original was not meant for any kind of driver, no matter the scale. The hood is a little more level, but that works better for my eyes. A grill has been added, and a real bumper, rather than the cattle guard. The color and shape may change. 

The boom is in, and everything works. I don’t think there will be other changes to this part. I have to work on the mount, and the winch is a little wonky at this point. But all this should be doable in the time remaining.  

I really comes together quite nicely. The black fenders make the wheels look even bigger :D

The front however looks a little bit to stubby in contrast to the more pikey nose of the original... have you thought about using 7L liftarms instead of 5L on the hood?

Looks very nice, somehow this and 8848 recreation are my favorites in this content; who knows why...

9 hours ago, 1gor said:

Looks very nice, somehow this and 8848 recreation are my favorites in this content; who knows why...

I may have a guess. :classic:

13 hours ago, Jundis said:

I really comes together quite nicely. The black fenders make the wheels look even bigger :D

The front however looks a little bit to stubby in contrast to the more pikey nose of the original... have you thought about using 7L liftarms instead of 5L on the hood?

Thanks. I like the black fenders too, but right now the big wheels may be part of the problem with the cab proportions.

I tried the 7L Liftarms for the hood, and it looked too Kenworth. I'll keep working at it. I'm going all @Seasider now, and built 8854 in Studio, and am working on the Update as well. This way I'll be able to set them side by side, and better compare. 

13 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice! I like the clear design decisions.

Glad you like it.