Seeing as my 8868 Air Claw cant be entered I'm going for the next one the often overlooked 8462 now having rebuilt it there are a lot of cool little features i never noticed when I first got it. Like the auto centring tailgate.

I'll post some progress pics in a bit (supposed to be at work now :grin:

My plan is to try and keep i as good a match as possible to the original so sticking with the even width winch is making the turntable a bit of a challenge.

So have been building the structure and crane trying to recreate the style using Technic over bricks

Think the turquoise parts will have to remain as that colour has not returned to stud-less Technic.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Cool, I am happy to see this model enter the contest. Really wanted to get it as a kid, but never did... It was on my list too, but I have neither pneumatic parts nor many blue parts in my collection, so I choose a different one.

27 minutes ago, BrickBuildingFox said:

Cool, I am happy to see this model enter the contest. Really wanted to get it as a kid, but never did... It was on my list too, but I have neither pneumatic parts nor many blue parts in my collection, so I choose a different one.

Think I'm also missing some of the blue lift arms myself so may have to go shopping :grin:

While the set looks somewhat odd in a retro futuristic way (would fit well into the Bladerunner world), all the functions works rather well. It's a very well designed set in that regard

8 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great set idea. What wheels are you going to use?

I own the original so was going to use those as this if for the completion. However, normally i try to build these with parts that a current or highly available but I don't think there is anything close the only other silver rims I can think of are the 8448 super street but there just as old.

Glad to see this model being built! I was deeply into my years of darkness when this came out but since coming back to Lego I've admired it a lot.

What about the air tanks, are you going to use the original ones or find some other way to provide enough air for the functions?

1 hour ago, Cardboy said:

I own the original so was going to use those as this if for the completion. However, normally i try to build these with parts that a current or highly available but I don't think there is anything close the only other silver rims I can think of are the 8448 super street but there just as old.

I think that's a great choice. The wheels are a significant part of the look, so hopefully they will supplement your design well. I'm looking forward to the progress.

So i Have the functions added even though this is for the competition and I can probably make more for show than function I still find myself trying to make the model stronger still unsatisfied with the amount of flex where the switches connect.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Nice, back to the future!

Are you planning to make a video and did you consider to recreate the turquoise interior? 

2 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice, back to the future!

Are you planning to make a video and did you consider to recreate the turquoise interior? 

Probably not a video I only have a phone and no tripod so I cant demonstrate the functions and record art the same time but I may think about it.

I don't have any other turquoise parts and I'm not sure there are any equivalent parts to do a modern version but they are stud less. Also if you insist on all modern parts then the wheels and air tanks can't be used.