Sign in to follow this  
Beck

[WIP] EF210 137

Hello everyone!

Well, I've been working on my new EF210 model, and everything so far has turned out pretty well, but I cannot seem to get a realistic roof shape that I like. The roof on the right is the simplest and least realistic, whereas the right one has more realistic proportions, but has some gaps and isn't as smooth. Although its shape certainly isn't as smooth as I would like it to be. I could really use some ideas because I don't know if I can make a roof that fits the model well enough. 
The length of the roof is 5 studs and the height should be around 1.7 studs.

[WIP] EF210 137 - 1

Here are some reference photos if you're so inclined:
http://kitekinet.jp/pen/mae/EL/EF210-302.jpg
http://kitekinet.jp/pen/EL/EF210-116.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/JRF_EF210-137.jpg

Wow, that is a difficult corner. I don't see any slopes, curved slopes, wedges or windscreens that come close (well, the train roofs might work if it were 6 wide, but it's not 6 wide)

On 6/2/2021 at 7:39 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Wow, that is a difficult corner. I don't see any slopes, curved slopes, wedges or windscreens that come close (well, the train roofs might work if it were 6 wide, but it's not 6 wide)

Yeah, usually I can come up something, even if it's kinda bad, but with this one I'm just outta ideas. Judging by the number of replies, I think I've stumped the EB train community too. :laugh:

Edited by Beck

6 minutes ago, Beck said:

Yeah, usually I can come up something, even if it's kinda bad, but with this one I'm just outta ideas. Judging by the number of replies, I think I've stumped the EB train community too. :laugh:

you absolutley did i dont know of any bricks that capture this shape either maybe you could try something with stacking plates to create the shape?

Apparently the wedge plate I needed to finish the roof was a new part as of 2020. Now that I don't really buy LEGO sets anymore, I don't check for new parts that often. The specific part isn't available in blue yet, but I'll probably just paint. I'm going to use some electrical tape to finish the angles to the side of each door. I couldn't make it work with any sort of slope brick or wedge plate. I still have a bit of detailing to do, but the overall shape of the model is somewhat complete. 

[WIP] EF210 137 - 2

4 hours ago, Beck said:

Apparently the wedge plate I needed to finish the roof was a new part as of 2020. Now that I don't really buy LEGO sets anymore, I don't check for new parts that often. The specific part isn't available in blue yet, but I'll probably just paint. I'm going to use some electrical tape to finish the angles to the side of each door. I couldn't make it work with any sort of slope brick or wedge plate. I still have a bit of detailing to do, but the overall shape of the model is somewhat complete. 

[WIP] EF210 137 - 2

Though not yet available in blue, that looks perfect!  I think it’s in a couple of creator 3 in 1 sets and that’s basically it...

This is now looking like a really well polished, high class MOC - excellent work!

Looking really good, that is a crazy amount of SNOT you have in the cab.

Will the middle truck slide laterally for curves?

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Though not yet available in blue, that looks perfect!  I think it’s in a couple of creator 3 in 1 sets and that’s basically it...

This is now looking like a really well polished, high class MOC - excellent work!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looking really good, that is a crazy amount of SNOT you have in the cab.

The cabs were the only difficult part of the build, the rest was quite easy.

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Will the middle truck slide laterally for curves?

Yep!

Hi @Beck

The model looks great.  Some great ideas applied here which I’m sure will inspire future builds of my own.

I’m working on my first MOC currently, which is a Bo-bo-bo Locomotive.  Have you designed this as a working model?  If so, I’m interested in the technique you’ve use on the middle bogie to allow it to negotiate corners.  I have a few ideas, but it will be a while before I can try anything physically.  Unfortunately all the Lego is packed away currently as our house is on the market (boo!).

Thanks,

Mike

On 6/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, Barkmi4 said:

The model looks great.  Some great ideas applied here which I’m sure will inspire future builds of my own.

Thank you. Good to hear that it might be of use to your future builds.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, Barkmi4 said:

I’m working on my first MOC currently, which is a Bo-bo-bo Locomotive.  Have you designed this as a working model?  If so, I’m interested in the technique you’ve use on the middle bogie to allow it to negotiate corners.  I have a few ideas, but it will be a while before I can try anything physically.  Unfortunately all the Lego is packed away currently as our house is on the market (boo!).

What locomotive are you modeling? I have not built this specific model IRL, but I have built another locomotive with the exact same axle arrangement. On that model, every axle was powered and the middle axle had a working suspension system. I wasn't able to include that in this model since this one is a bit smaller which translates to less space inside. This model is quite simple: the middle bogie is attached by a single link that has turntables at each end to the body of the locomotive. Since the link is 11studs long between the two axes of rotation it has a bit of vertical "play" on top of the horizontal displacement.

Well, I thought I might as well update this thread as I build it IRL:

[WIP] EF210 137 - 3

During the digital design process, I seemingly could only find pictures of the real locomotive from one side/orientation. It was only after I started building IRL and spending more time looking at more pictures did I realize that both sides, were the same. I had assumed the locomotive was symmetric across its length, but this was ultimately not the case. I mean, why would I assume otherwise... 

I'll have to paint the LBG wedge plates blue very shortly. I hope I'll be able to find a blue paint that matches TLG's blue close enough.

Edited by Beck

On 7/3/2021 at 1:30 AM, Beck said:

What locomotive are you modeling? I have not built this specific model IRL, but I have built another locomotive with the exact same axle arrangement. On that model, every axle was powered and the middle axle had a working suspension system. I wasn't able to include that in this model since this one is a bit smaller which translates to less space inside. This model is quite simple: the middle bogie is attached by a single link that has turntables at each end to the body of the locomotive. Since the link is 11studs long between the two axes of rotation it has a bit of vertical "play" on top of the horizontal displacement.

I’m (slowly) attempting a MOC of the Euro shuttle, or ‘Le Shuttle’.

For some context, I downloaded Studio.io around 2 weeks ago, and this is my first attempt at designing a MOC.  I started with a carriage and after being hampered by slow progress, I focused on a bogie design for the carriages which includes suspension.  
I had a bit of time over the weekend, so I bought a flat wagon design from block junction which I recreated in studio to try and get to grips with the software.  I then tried recreating a few plank wagon designs, and a well car design.  I’m hoping I’ll get chance to look at the carriages again this week.  
As of yet I’ve not started design of the locomotive.  It will be built on an 8 wide base which provides a few extra options.  I plan to implement suspension on the middle bogie.  If I can find something compact that works, I’ll implement it on all 3.  My favourite option currently is to implement it essentially as a trailing bogie connected to the preceding bogie, disconnected from the main chassis.  I considered connecting it via a technic link on a single, or dual axle running across the chassis to enable the sidewards play.  But I don’t think this will enable the latitudinal movement required to navigate the tight R40 curves and switches (which is all I currently own).  I’d like to do a few trials when I get a little further along.  I’ll post some photos once it’s developed enough to be recognisable as an actual model. 

I’d be interested to see a photo of your implementation if you get a chance/are willing to share.  The build is looking great by the way 🙂

3 hours ago, Barkmi4 said:

I’m (slowly) attempting a MOC of the Euro shuttle, or ‘Le Shuttle’.

For some context, I downloaded Studio.io around 2 weeks ago, and this is my first attempt at designing a MOC.  I started with a carriage and after being hampered by slow progress, I focused on a bogie design for the carriages which includes suspension.  
I had a bit of time over the weekend, so I bought a flat wagon design from block junction which I recreated in studio to try and get to grips with the software.  I then tried recreating a few plank wagon designs, and a well car design.  I’m hoping I’ll get chance to look at the carriages again this week.  
As of yet I’ve not started design of the locomotive.  It will be built on an 8 wide base which provides a few extra options.  I plan to implement suspension on the middle bogie.  If I can find something compact that works, I’ll implement it on all 3.  My favourite option currently is to implement it essentially as a trailing bogie connected to the preceding bogie, disconnected from the main chassis.  I considered connecting it via a technic link on a single, or dual axle running across the chassis to enable the sidewards play.  But I don’t think this will enable the latitudinal movement required to navigate the tight R40 curves and switches (which is all I currently own).  I’d like to do a few trials when I get a little further along.  I’ll post some photos once it’s developed enough to be recognisable as an actual model. 

I’d be interested to see a photo of your implementation if you get a chance/are willing to share.  The build is looking great by the way 🙂

Well, you should probably start a separate WIP thread for this specific model, so you can share your progress. If you're building digitally I would start with some basic dimensions. The class 9 (given a scale of 1:45) is 61 studs long and 8.25 studs wide. And the carriages are going to be even larger: probably 10 studs wide. 

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible to:

1. build proper suspension on each bogie

2. be able to navigate R40s

3. have a trailing rear bogie

Given your R40 track, I would abandon the bogie suspension altogether. I would power the first and last bogies with the middle bogie linked to the front bogie. A trailing bogie would hinder your ability to pull carriages through curves and switches. You might want to even consider moving to a smaller scale and decrease your width to 6 or 7 studs. Don't get me wrong it's totally possible to build at 8 wide.

The locomotive is on my Flickr page, but I haven't taken pictures of the middle bogie suspension and drive system.

Edited by Beck