The Librarian

Witch's Windship remake

I'm not generally much of a castle builder, but there's one set that lodged in my imagination for years despite - or more likely because - never owning it myself.  6037-1, Witch's Windship from the Fright Knights line, always looked so cool in the catalogues. I mean, come on - dragon-powered airship? What's not to love? But while I did end up with some FK stuff, that one proved ever-elusive.

Fast-forward a couple of decades and I decided to indulge younger me's yearning and build my own version, super-sizing it into the bargain. And here we are:

51219637890_91bf3a77a3_b.jpg

51217855467_bc560c2609_b.jpg

51219638025_2170d177e4_b.jpg

There's a fairly cramped interior, centred on the cauldron piece (what else?) . . .

51218573311_0c689664a4_c.jpg

. . . and of course the dragon can stand on its own!

51217860922_f5be0eceab_b.jpg

A few more pics here. Enjoy!

Edited by The Librarian

This is just an  insanely good remake of the original.  Here bigger is better.  The ships design is perfect.  So many great details.  The full interior is fantastic.  The dragon is really excellent, I especially like the fact that it is  a beefier build and shows muscles and has great articulation.  

I’m generally not a fan of brick-built creatures unless they’re quite large. They tend to look blocky, robotic or overly stylised. But your dragon is outstanding! :thumbup: Worlds better than the green dragon in 31120 Creator Medieval Castle. 

Wow. This is spectacular! Truly outstanding. A punch of nostalgia to a very distinguishable classic set and a modern twist with complexity and visual impact. 
Your dragon is amazing, and the ship-part puts a lot of ships I see around to the test. Really an awesome work. Keep it up!

i would buy 5 of these right now if Lego was selling these. How many pieces total, and how many for the dragon?

Excellent! I love seeing 90s sets revamped like this. It is really cool how you have interpreted the set here--it looks like Willa has put a curse on a castle to turn it into the hull of her windship. I adored FK but never cared much for this particular set, but now I appreciate it in a whole new way. Great work. :classic:

This is so amazing! It really captures the zaniness of the original set while also refining the whole thing into something that feels more plausible.

A part of me does wish the roof could curve outward a little more like the roofs in the original Fright Knights theme tended to do. The cheese slopes you used do the job okay, but a more dramatic curve could be a lot of fun. If the new 1x3 inverted half arch ever appears in bright red, that might just be perfect.

Great remake, instantly recognizable.

I especially like the brick build dragon.

Thanks for commenting everyone!

On 6/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, AmperZand said:

I’m generally not a fan of brick-built creatures unless they’re quite large. They tend to look blocky, robotic or overly stylised. But your dragon is outstanding! :thumbup: Worlds better than the green dragon in 31120 Creator Medieval Castle. 

Cheers - I don't tend to do brick-built creatures very often myself, since I generally focus on mechanical stuff. But I've had the idea for the head design in mind for a while and it all came together quite well.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, natesroom said:

i would buy 5 of these right now if Lego was selling these. How many pieces total, and how many for the dragon?

Absolutely no idea, I'm afraid. I don't design ahead of time and I don't keep track of parts, of have any real clue how to tell without dismantling everything!

On 6/6/2021 at 3:16 PM, Lyichir said:

This is so amazing! It really captures the zaniness of the original set while also refining the whole thing into something that feels more plausible.

A part of me does wish the roof could curve outward a little more like the roofs in the original Fright Knights theme tended to do. The cheese slopes you used do the job okay, but a more dramatic curve could be a lot of fun. If the new 1x3 inverted half arch ever appears in bright red, that might just be perfect.

You're not wrong - part of it is a stability thing, but it is mainly just because I couldn't think how to make it look good another way. I think given the way the build works, the piece you highlight would be about the only option.

Wow wow wow! That looks amazing! (And just as impractical as the original lol.)

I love how much more substantial the ship is here, with the full interior, etc. And it just oozes a wonderful fantasy vibe. Despite how goofy the premise is, I can easily see how this would operate and function in a fantasy setting.

And the dragon is lovely as well! Nice and chunky and a a beautiful update to the original dragon.

if you felt the impetus to do so posting some instructions on Rebrickable for the dragon i think would be an immediate hit.

WOW.
I never liked the original design, but this is fantastic!
I love it all but specially the dragon. Excellent job.

I only ever got a couple of the polybag sets for Fright Knights in my youth and I also stared at the catalogues probably way too much back then, so I totally understand your yearning here!  Thus, I absolutely love this upsized revamp! :wub:  Really cool how you maintained the same forward cant to the fore and aft roofs, in addition to all the other complicated angles here.  And, of course, the dragon is spectacular! :dsweet:

Wow super cool remake. Like it more then the original. 
If the Fright Knights will return, this set has to be made.
But why Hubble Bubble became a men? This is not acceptable. ;)

Amazing design all round! Such a blast from the past. I'm wondering, is the dragon just supported by the rigging pieces while it's above the ship?