XG BC

Studio GPU Rendering with Amd GPU

Hello Guys I need your help:

Do you know of any way to render bricklink studio models using an amd gpu with opencl?

Edited by XG BC
Accidently typed in cuda instead of opencl

As far as I'm concerned, the renderer works on CUDA which is a proprietary Nvidia framework, whereas AMD cards use open-source framework OpenCL. Unless the devs specifically introduce OpenCL rendering, your only option is to use CPU-based rendering or change to the green side.

Edited by syclone
grammar

Ok then sadly my only option is to use cpu rendering because i have a laptop with an amd ryzen 3700u apu and therefore cannot change to the green side :-(. Thanks for the help anyways!

2 hours ago, syclone said:

your only option is to use CPU-based rendering or change to the green side

I have no clue what you guys are talking about - but just clicked on "nvidia settings", which tells me that I have a "Quadro P1000" thing on this Dell laptop (7530).

I simply don't know what the green side is, but it sounds to me as it would be favorable to be there when using Stud.io just for rendering (which I do; building in MLCad, loading into Stud.io for rendering). This laptop turns rather loud fans after a few moments - but I can still work on papers and so on without delay. Is this the "green side"?

Thanks for your help!

Best
Thorsten

@Toastie “Green side” = NVidia GPU (their logo is green).  When you have a supported NVidia GPU, you have an option to use CPU or GPU to render (scroll down a bit to see it).  GPU is, supposedly, faster (depends on both CPU and GPU).

Now, EyeSight (Studio’s Photorealistic renderer) is based on Blender’s Cycles and Cycles can use both NVidia and AMD GPU (or any OpenCL compatible GPU) but, strangely, EyeSight can’t.

Last news I had about it (a few weeks ago), the Studio team was looking into updating EyeSight (also because it doesn’t work with recent NVidia GPUs).  I don’t know if or when there’ll be a new version of if it will support OpenCL.

(And for Wine users: CUDA sometimes works in Wine… but not with EyeSight (it sees the card but can’t use it).)

11 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

“Green side” = NVidia GPU (their logo is green).

@SylvainLS: Ahhh - thank you very much for your explanations! Yes, I can switch between CPU and GPU. It was on GPU so I'll test relative speed later.

Thanks again!

Best
Thorsten

17 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Now, EyeSight (Studio’s Photorealistic renderer) is based on Blender’s Cycles and Cycles can use both NVidia and AMD GPU (or any OpenCL compatible GPU) but, strangely, EyeSight can’t. 

Maybe I don't remember correctly, but it seems that AMD is dropping support on its consumer cards for OpenCL (it is not clear how they think to develop ROCm in the future) so that the next version of Blender will not support it anymore. It seems that AMD have to decide what they want to do,
So the lack of support is not so strange, at this stage.

22 minutes ago, Calabar said:

It was when EyeSight came out.  Or maybe the firm that was contracted to make EyeSight for Studio had a clairvoyant  :wink:

22 hours ago, Calabar said:

Maybe I don't remember correctly, but it seems that AMD is dropping support on its consumer cards for OpenCL (it is not clear how they think to develop ROCm in the future) so that the next version of Blender will not support it anymore. It seems that AMD have to decide what they want to do,

I mean their apus still use the vega architecture which does have opencl

btw Is there any way to render the models using an external programm to render them which supports opencl?

Edited by XG BC

2 hours ago, XG BC said:

btw Is there any way to render the models using an external programm to render them which supports opencl?

You can export to DAE… though I think there are problems there.

You can also export to LDraw and use the Blender plugin(s) to import that….

I have tried dae but it looses color so thats not an option but ldraw and then importing it into blender works but is a little buggy.